Vibration in 1500

Jun 4, 2013
Grayson, Ky.
Has anyone had a vibration problem that happens intermittent usually at speed when leveled off on throttle. It is a chatter sound but you can feel it in your feet on the pegs. Kinda sounds like a large bolt with a stack of loose washers rattling. any clues will be appreciated.

How many miles on your conversion?
Can't give much help, not being able to experience/hear the sound.
I would make sure there are no U-joint problems to start with!
Seems to be many threads on several boards about vibrations that turn out to be drive line related!
Please let us know what you find for future reference
Thanks

Sounds maybe like a U-Joint going south, they will vibrate and clank around prior to departing your trike. Put the trike up on stands / solid and start it up and put it in gear and with no stress of pulling itself it should rattle and make noise. Very hard to tell by just grabbing the drive shaft and wiggling. Can't think of something else....it would be???

Sounds maybe like a U-Joint going south, they will vibrate and clank around prior to departing your trike. Put the trike up on stands / solid and start it up and put it in gear and with no stress of pulling itself it should rattle and make noise. Very hard to tell by just grabbing the drive shaft and wiggling. Can't think of something else....it would be???

Thanks Solidbob for your reply, I had the driveshaft out and parts seem to be good, So it must be somewhere else

I too had a vibration in my 99 1500 wing and could feel it in my feet. I checking everything and a friend asked if I checked the alternator dampers. I would never thought to check and when I pulled the alternator two of the sets of 2 were broken apart and fell out in pieces. This was in 2012 with 70,000 mikes on the bike.

Replaced and vibration gone....

I too had a vibration in my 99 1500 wing and could feel it in my feet. I checking everything and a friend asked if I checked the alternator dampers. I would never thought to check and when I pulled the alternator two of the sets of 2 were broken apart and fell out in pieces. This was in 2012 with 70,000 mikes on the bike.

Replaced and vibration gone....

Thanks dalelj, but im not sure what you are calling alternator damper, Could you explain.

Back to square one on vibration and rattle, pulled the alternator and dampers and alt. looks like new, Lucky must have replaced it before he sold it, checked wheel studs all tight. still scratching my head.

We had a 1995 Motor Trike with the same symptoms you describe. MT used (uses?) the stock drive shaft with the non-serviceable front yoke. Everything is pressed together and sealed, and the the front yoke is not really made to run at the realatively large angle from the output on the tranny to the differential in the center of the trike. Ours had the same symptoms you describe on a long Saturday ride. I got nervous and headed home just in time - the front u-joint gave out just as we were pulling in to the driveway. Installed one of the updated drive shafts with the zerk so it could be greased. There is an alignment they like, too. If there is a vibration after the new one is put in you may have to rotate it a spline or two.

Last edited:
We had a 1995 Motor Trike with the same symptons you describe. MT used (uses?) the stock driveshaft with the non-serviceable front yoke. Everything is pressed together and sealed, and the the front yoke is not really made to run at the realatively large angle from the output on the tranny to the differential in the center of the trike. Ours had the same symptons you describe on a long Saturday ride. I got nervous and headed home just in time - the front u-jount gave out just as we were pulling in to the driveway. Installed one of the updated driveshafts with the zerk so it could be greased. There is an alignment tohey like, too. If there is a vibration after thenew one is put in you may have to rotate it a spine or two.

Thanks Ozarkryder for the info, I had the driveshaft out and all seemed to be good but most people keep saying ujoints so I think I will just get two and replace them so I will know they are good.

Has anyone had a vibration problem that happens intermittent usually at speed when leveled off on throttle. It is a chatter sound but you can feel it in your feet on the pegs. Kinda sounds like a large bolt with a stack of loose washers rattling. any clues will be appreciated.
Sorry I have not been here in while. Dang riding getting in the way. Alternator replaced 8-10-11. Did not see the mileage,but if it will help I will look farther. I don't throw much away. GOOD LUCK

Sorry I have not been here in while. Dang riding getting in the way. Alternator replaced 8-10-11. Did not see the mileage,but if it will help I will look farther. I don't throw much away. GOOD LUCK

Thanks Lucky, I knew it looked new when I removed it, But I eliminated that as a possibility, It is prob. something simple just hard to find.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png