Love Jugs

Sully

Trike Talk Executive Chef
Mar 23, 2014
Kennesaw, Ga.
Do you have Love Jugs installed on your motor ? If so, did you install them ? and do they make a difference ?

Do you have Love Jugs installed on your motor ? If so, did you install them ? and do they make a difference ?

http://love-jugs.com/

I have the set mounted on my trike with my 124" Randy sent to me for a write up evaluation. I will have more to add in a few days for how they help cool the heads. Bike week has started here in Myrtle Beach so I will get a chance to put them through some stop n go traffic

Attachments

• Love Jugg Fan assembly pics 004a.jpg
    Love Jugg Fan assembly pics 004a.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 233
Got out and rode today here along the Grand Strand. Temps got up to 88 degrees and it was steamy. I got into some traffic and ran the Love Jug fans. My oil temps never got over 235. The wind was blowing pretty steady at times and may have added to a slight reduction in oil temps. The fans do help with keeping the temps down when in traffic.

Im going to try to get some infrared thermostat reading later this week to check the external head temps before I turn the fans on and after running them.

Tom

Sully, if you do a search on cooling fans you will find a couple of hundred posts about all brands of fans. Good Luck

By the way, wife and I both ride Tri-Glides. We live in the So. Cal high desert where it is routinely over 100* in the summer and neither of us have any fans on our trikes.

Sorry for the long post. But hopefully my review of the Love Jug Fans will answer most questions riders will have.

Bike week here has ended. I got out the last few days riding with a few buddies from my home state and we rode up and down the Grand Strand in the traffic. I can say from my observation that the Love Jug cooling fans helped keep my 124" oil temps lower by 15 degrees over the HD parade fan I have been running.

After getting caught up in the stop and go traffic after riding for more than 40 minutes the oil temps never got over 240 on a 90 degree day.

I rode one day earlier in the week and after arriving home in my garage, leaving the engine running, I got my infrared thermometer out and checked the head bolt temp without the fans running and saw the temps @ 210 front and 218 rear.

I switched the fans on and waited 5 minutes to check the decrease in temps. The second test with the infrared thermometer the front head showed a 18 degree drop and the rear was 15 degrees. My oil temp ( which the thermometer is located to check the oil temp coming from the Oil Bud oil cooler Im using ) was a steady 225 after 5 minutes down from the 240 when I arrived in the garage

The fans do work. They do blow a large volume of air at each cylinder. They are not noisy and I could not hear them running at all with the engine at idle. The heat could be felt on the right side with the fans on, but it wasn't un-bearable ( too me )

The frame mount that came with the fans I could not use due to the height of my 124" engine. ( 1/2" taller than stock ) Second and I had a discussion with the owner of Love Jugs as to why Im not in agreement with using the Love Jug frame mount. Removing the strap for the stock horn is a bad idea. That strap has a specific purpose. (1) To keep the cylinders from rotating slightly from harmonic forces when the engine is running. ( 2 ) To keep stress off the intake and to keep the intake gaskets from leaking from the slight harmonic movement of the cylinders.

The stock strap with the horn mount works perfect for mounting the Love Jug fan assembly. I did add a thick washer behind the horn bracket to offset the fan assembly outward another 1/4". After doing this, I hit the fan assembly with my hand to simulate shock from the bike and the horn isolator would not allow the fan assembly enough movement to ever come close to hitting the fins on the heads. The fans shake slightly when the engine idles. But they moved less than the horn cover did alone on the same isolator when mounted on the engine.

The stainless used for the Love Jug Fans is top quality and shines like chrome. The lighted switches on the top of the housings are waterproof and are illuminated to let you know the fans have power. The wire harness is top quality. It has a connector to allow you to plug it into the stock HD wire harness for a quick easy connection.

My ideas to make some improvements

1) A thermo switch to run the fans when the head temps get to a point that the fans are really need to be turn on and would allow the fans to run for a few minutes to help cool the heads down quicker after shutting down the engine

2) Make a quick disconnect in the wire harness behind the bracket for easy removal for cleaning and servicing the engine

3) Redesign the frame mount to keep the engine strap in place

4) Offer it in all powder coated black or a combo of black and some polished stainless

In summary, the fans do deliver what is promised for air flow to cool the engine. Obviously for some the size of the fans is a issue, but if you can get passed the size of the fans and want something to help keep the engine temps down and manageable. The Love Jugg fans will do just that

Tom

Sorry for the long post. But hopefully my review of the Love Jug Fans will answer most questions riders will have.

Bike week here has ended. I got out the last few days riding with a few buddies from my home state and we rode up and down the Grand Strand in the traffic. I can say from my observation that the Love Jug cooling fans helped keep my 124" oil temps lower by 15 degrees over the HD parade fan I have been running.

After getting caught up in the stop and go traffic after riding for more than 40 minutes the oil temps never got over 240 on a 90 degree day.

I rode one day earlier in the week and after arriving home in my garage, leaving the engine running, I got my infrared thermometer out and checked the head bolt temp without the fans running and saw the temps @ 210 front and 218 rear.

I switched the fans on and waited 5 minutes to check the decrease in temps. The second test with the infrared thermometer the front head showed a 18 degree drop and the rear was 15 degrees. My oil temp ( which the thermometer is located to check the oil temp coming from the Oil Bud oil cooler Im using ) was a steady 225 after 5 minutes down from the 240 when I arrived in the garage

The fans do work. They do blow a large volume of air at each cylinder. They are not noisy and I could not hear them running at all with the engine at idle. The heat could be felt on the right side with the fans on, but it wasn't un-bearable ( too me )

The frame mount that came with the fans I could not use due to the height of my 124" engine. ( 1/2" taller than stock ) Second and I had a discussion with the owner of Love Jugs as to why Im not in agreement with using the Love Jug frame mount. Removing the strap for the stock horn is a bad idea. That strap has a specific purpose. (1) To keep the cylinders from rotating slightly from harmonic forces when the engine is running. ( 2 ) To keep stress off the intake and to keep the intake gaskets from leaking from the slight harmonic movement of the cylinders.

The stock strap with the horn mount works perfect for mounting the Love Jug fan assembly. I did add a thick washer behind the horn bracket to offset the fan assembly outward another 1/4". After doing this, I hit the fan assembly with my hand to simulate shock from the bike and the horn isolator would not allow the fan assembly enough movement to ever come close to hitting the fins on the heads. The fans shake slightly when the engine idles. But they moved less than the horn cover did alone on the same isolator when mounted on the engine.

The stainless used for the Love Jug Fans is top quality and shines like chrome. The lighted switches on the top of the housings are waterproof and are illuminated to let you know the fans have power. The wire harness is top quality. It has a connector to allow you to plug it into the stock HD wire harness for a quick easy connection.

My ideas to make some improvements

1) A thermo switch to run the fans when the head temps get to a point that the fans are really need to be turn on and would allow the fans to run for a few minutes to help cool the heads down quicker after shutting down the engine

2) Make a quick disconnect in the wire harness behind the bracket for easy removal for cleaning and servicing the engine

3) Redesign the frame mount to keep the engine strap in place

4) Offer it in all powder coated black or a combo of black and some polished stainless

In summary, the fans do deliver what is promised for air flow to cool the engine. Obviously for some the size of the fans is a issue, but if you can get passed the size of the fans and want something to help keep the engine temps down and manageable. The Love Jugg fans will do just that

Tom

Very good post Tom. I think the Harmonic forces is a problem I have with the Wards fans? Need to talk to you more about it.

Just checking in to report the Love Jug fans are still working and do help with managing the engine oil temp in traffic on hot days. 260 has been the hottest I have seen on my oil temp gauge in traffic.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png