Need Spark plugs and wires...please provide brand ETC

Mar 9, 2014
Lake Worth, FL
I believe I have a 1600cc Thing '72ish motor. The engine code is: AM021095. I swear no one at Parts stores knows what they're talking about, and they just wing it !!

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE give me a Brand for Spark plugs AND 'model' number on box, in addition to Brand for the Wires AND 'model' number or something. I can't take it anymore ! I swear my old Spark plug wires have longer copper connectors on them....the set Autozone sold me (second set by the way) the Distributor to coil wire doesn't EVEN slide on properly so I kept the old one. I am so disappointed when I tried to start my bug today. I just need some recommendations on where and what to get that might actually FIT !!! Thanks very much.

Right now I have B&B Spark plug wires and NGK B6HS plugs....something just not feeling right. Thanks.

The NGK B6HS are fine. I use Bosch Super Plus. Some people like Bosch, some people like NGK. They both do the job. I believe Thing motors were all up-right motors, same as a Bug, a bus or a Ghia.
Here's number for the wires, Spark Plug Wire Set BOSCH 09001 fits 68-74 VW Transporter 1.6L-H4. Do you have a VW parts supplier near you? Go there if there is one, if not all of this can be ordered on line. Or Autozone or some other auto parts store might be able to order the parts if you give them the Bosch numbers. I always use Bosch parts including points, coil and condenser.ThumbUp

If I understand it right the AM is a replacement 1600 case that's been put in . As far as parts if you will leave these parts houses alone and order BOSCH parts you'll save yourself a lot of headaches . Most are not that expensive and if it's something I may need again I order more and just put 'em away .

My question would be if it doesn't start even with what you have it may be another problem ,,there's not a lot that keeps these things from starting . Their very simple and I think in another post of yours I mentioned JOHN MUIRS book ,, did you buy it . If it's something you don't want or can't do try ROB AND DAVE air cooled VW on the net it''s a good trouble shooting site . GOOD LUCK with it and if there's anything we can do to help just ask .

I know it's frustrating, but these things really are pretty simple. When you try to start it, what does it do exactly? If it pops and spits, and doesn't want to run at all, you may have your plug wires crossed up. If you can, post some pics. Maybe we can help you sort it out.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png