Rear end Problems - 2014 GL1800 Roadsmith trike conversion

Vardoggs

Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 GL1800 Roadsmith trike conversion and the rear end is trashed! Bought the bike new, it has 2000 miles - advice? Anyone with a similar problem. I had very high expectations for this conversion and am sorry that I picked it. In addition to that - the rear trunk leaks water like a colander, my odometer is 9% off as is the the speedometer!

Re: Rear end Problems - 2014 GL1800 Roadsmith trike conversion

I just bought a 2014 GL1800 Roadsmith trike conversion and the rear end is trashed! Bought the bike new, it has 2000 miles - advice? Anyone with a similar problem. I had very high expectations for this conversion and am sorry that I picked it. In addition to that - the rear trunk leaks water like a colander, my odometer is 9% off as is the the speedometer!

You say it has 2000 miles...is that on the bike or the trike? Did you buy it already converted or have it converted? Have you taken it to your installer yet to have it checked out? Roadsmith has an excellent reputation for building a top quality product and for standing behind what they sell and I am sure they will promptly make this right. I understand your frustration, but anything man made can malfunction. The first step BEFORE trashing a manufacturer or their product with your first post on this or any forum is to talk to your dealer/installer or Roadsmith and allow them the opportunity to troubleshoot and repair the trike.

vardoggs, so sorry to hear about the issues with your new trike! Please call the Roadsmith factory at 800-331-0705 as soon as possible so that we can identify and help resolve the problems. Thanks!

You say it has 2000 miles...is that on the bike or the trike? Did you buy it already converted or have it converted? Have you taken it to your installer yet to have it checked out? Roadsmith has an excellent reputation for building a top quality product and for standing behind what they sell and I am sure they will promptly make this right. Anything man made can malfunction. The first step BEFORE trashing them or their product with your first post on this or any forum is to talk to your dealer/installer or Roadsmith.
I purchased the bike from a Honda Dealer and it was already converted. It has been taken to the installer who is a Roadsmith dealer. I am aware of the reputation of Roadsmith which is why I purchased one of their conversions. I have no intention to trash Roadsmith nor did I trash them - I am simply reporting the condition of the conversion that I purchased that has the problems that I stated and was wanting to know if anyone had any advice.

vardoggs, so sorry to hear about the issues with your new trike! Please call the Roadsmith factory at 800-331-0705 as soon as possible so that we can identify and help resolve the problems. Thanks!

There you go! Can't ask for much more than that. Rather quick response and an offer to help make it right. Good Job Roadsmith!

The 9% speedo off is a jap bike thing. Has nothing to do with Roadsmith. They all do it. My Suzuki Volusia did it. My Honda VTX does it. If the speed limit is 55 drive 60. Just add five and live with it.

Update. I called the 800 number and talked with Doug - sounds like he is the the #2 guy there - Very helpful. Looking to see what actions are taken now and expecting that I will be impressed. I'll keep you posted.

Update. I called the 800 number and talked with Doug - sounds like he is the the #2 guy there - Very helpful. Looking to see what actions are taken now and expecting that I will be impressed. I'll keep you posted.

Doug Lindholm is actually the son of company founder Dick Lindholm who is now retired. Doug grew up in the business and is the current company owner along with partner Jim McGurren, both of whom are fine fellows. You talked to the man in charge and he WILL take care of you.

In addition to that, my odometer is 9% off as is the the speedometer!

Vardoggs
This is my third Gl1800 and the speedo was out on the first two and I suspect the third one! I never drove it as a two wheeler before getting the CSC conversion.

The speedo now is right on the money and matches my GPS. :):):):)

Vardoggs
This is my third Gl1800 and the speedo was out on the first two and I suspect the third one! I never drove it as a two wheeler before getting the CSC conversion.

The speedo now is right on the money and matches my GPS. :):):):)

Calgary,
So if I understand you correctly - the CSC conversion has the same issue you suspect? What type of conversion did the first two trikes have?

No, I did not have the first two 1800's triked.

The third 1800 was triked (I never rode it as a two wheeler) with the CSC kit and the speedo is accurate!

Thanks for the clarification. Do you enjoy the triked GL better? And the speedo thing - someone earlier had said that it is common problem for the Japanese bikes. Hard to believe but apparently true.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you enjoy the triked GL better? And the speedo thing - someone earlier had said that it is common problem for the Japanese bikes. Hard to believe but apparently true.
I love all of the 1800's - two wheelers and now the trike. Would not likely have purchased a trike but at 74 I was experiencing some left hip problems. We ride long distances and I didn't want to come to a stop one day and not be able to hold the bike up.

It took me awhile to get used to three wheels, but now I can run with all of my two wheel 1800 buddies and love it. I had the trike built with an auxillary fuel tank so I wouldn't have to stop shy of their fuel range - I now have a range of more than 330 miles.

I have absolutely no regrets about getting my bike triked with a CSC Viper kit, but am comfortable that there are other great manufacturers out there who are committed to quality construction and good customer service.

Hang in there and work with Roadsmith - I'm sure they'll make you a happy Triker. :):):):)

Last edited:

Roadsmith will treat you right, they don't want bad publicity. Give them a shot at fixing the problem.

I don't necessarily agree that "all Jap bikes" have a speedo issue. I've had 9 Goldwings, and a few more earlier Hondas, plus a Yamaha back in the day and never remember an issue with the speedo accept possibly with my 2004 Wing.

Im only assuming the MPH on GPS is more accurate bike speedometer??

All of the bikes that I ride other than the GL are Japanese bikes too but they are all ridden in the woods doing hare scrambles and they do not have speedometers on them. Yamaha and Honda is what we run. Great fun and challenging too.

Looking forward to seeing what Roadsmith does with this trike of mine. Like I have mentioned, I will keep you posted.

I have a 2008 goldwing with 2012 Roadsmith trike and couldn't ask for a better ride. My speedo is off around 10% also.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png