Trike will be out of service for a while.

Mar 8, 2008
Alabama
:( Well, looks like it's new alternator time for the ol' trike. :mad:Work is dead in the water right now, so the extra cash for a new/rebuilt alternator in non-existant:blush:. The alternator shows 8.9 to 11.9 volts at the battery posts @ 2000RPM. After shutting down the engine, the battery comes back up to 12.59 volts in about a minute. I was stranded once last week with a dead battery, and after a good charge on the charger, has been at 12 volts or above, since. During one test, the numbers were all over the place at the battery. 12.7, all the way down to 8.9 volts, @ 2000 RPM. I'm hatin' it! jimsjinx

Went through the alternator saga this past summer. Pulled it and replaced the brushes, a fairly easy job. They were both warn way past the wear lines and were bearly making cintact. Plenty of power after that, only cost $8.00.<br />
A week ar so later the thing dies again. Take it to the shop and they find nothing wrong. Ride it home and it dies in the driveway. Back to the shop. they took it on a long test ride and it finally died on them, too. A diode in the alt. went bad and was an on and off again deal.

New alternator cost about $400 with labor. (I have a grood shop - cut the labor because I got stranded after they said all was OK) was looking at a Compufire and a gel battery, but I didn't (and still dont) have near $600 for it.<br />
<br />
It's worth a shot to pull it and check the brushes. Might get lucky with an $8.00 repair.

Take a shot at replacing the brushes. I did it 4 years and 15,000 miles ago . Make sure you clean everything good.

:( Thanks for the encouragement, guys. If the thing cost $2.00 I couldn't afford it right now! The shop is basically dead, and costs more to run than it is making.:eek: Really scarey for us at our age. :blush: Maybe a windfall job will come in, and bump us back up again. I continued testing the charging system, and all indications are pointing to a bad winding(interrmittant) and or regulator diodes. I have found 90 amp new alternators for as low as $299.00 online, so I have a starting point! God bless you for your support, jimsjinx

Sorry to hear about bad times my friend. Hopefully the new year may bring you some work and a little wealth to boot:yes:
I have seen many friends just about making it,so hope you can do the same.

Well, good karma came, and I got 7 jobs this last week!I had bought a pair of timing belts by mistake, they were for a 1200, and I have a 1500. Being more trouble than they were worth, I shelved em for a couple weeks. On another forum, I read a guys post where he was broke, and needed timing belts. Well, It was a no brainer. I messaged the guy and told him he could have them, and not to worry bout postage. Made him REAL happy! The next day I started getting appointments and got every job I went out on!!!! Paying it foreward really does work! I have an alternator coming from Ken Hemmings up in Merrilleville Indiana. He rebuilds them with superior parts and winding wire, and claims a modest increase in amperage (about 50 amps).

All for $170.00 and your old unit!! I got E-Mails from several guys who have his units and everyone is happy. Mine will be here in a week or so. jimsjinx

Last edited:
He sells them on the GWRRA forum and everyone talks only good about them . They are a litter hotter ( more amps ) than the stock ones .

:blush: You know, the Man upstairs has ALWAYS taken care of me, and the ones I love. I am no angel,:no: and yet, I never have been let down. Lots of things have happened in my life that I didn't want to happen, but I always come out of the smoke in better shape than when the fire started.:D I have always been blessed.:yes: I thank Him on a regular basis! jimsjinx

:D Update on Ken Hemmings rebuilt alternator! I got the alternator, opened it up, and checked it out. The windings are for sure more heavily lacquered/varnished, and the thing was like new, inside and out. The new bearings were firm but silky smooth. The brush holder was new, as were the brushes. All the contact points were spotless, and the cases had been media blasted(probly walnut shell media, cause the labels and tags were intact). After installation, which IS tight, but not difficult, I fired it up. What a difference! The voltage at the battery was a solid 14.7 volts at 2000 rpm. After releasing the choke, and back down to an idle, the voltage drops to a solid 14.2 volts. :D I did not replace the battery. It seemed to hold a charge fine the whole time I waited for the alternator to come UPS.( a week). My headlights are bright at an idle now,:p and the a/c hum in the intercom headsets is gone. Overall I'd say, if ya can't really afford a new stock or high output alternator replacement, go with Ken Hemmings. His company is called "Motorcycle Alternator Rebuilding Service or MARS for short.:yes: He is fair and does a nice job. My total cost was $190.00 including postage. jimsjinx

:DFinally got out for a New Years Day ride! It was a short one, but ever so soothing! The charging system is a go, everything works great. Both my wife and I noticed the stereo even sounded better! No whine!. I think the mounting points that I cleaned for the noise suppressor helped in that dept.. Anyway, all is good, thanks to Mr. Hemmings. Happy New Year! jimsjinx:p

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png