Front Tire

Jul 9, 2012
Cocoa, FL.
I have a 06 GL1800 and need a new front tire and was wonderingif anyone had any input as to what brand to get. I have a Dunlop E3 and it lasted only 7000 miles. Has anyone heard about putting CTs on the front?

There have been at least a couple of dozen threads on this topic in the last 2 yrs. Go to advance search and you will find every conceivable opinion on earth on this subject. Personally, I went with the BT 45 and mounted it in reverse. Everyone has there on idea on what to do with that.

I have a 06 GL1800 and need a new front tire and was wonderingif anyone had any input as to what brand to get. I have a Dunlop E3 and it lasted only 7000 miles. Has anyone heard about putting CTs on the front?

Yep, use "SEARCH".....there are several extensive Threads on this subject with very detailed info......ThumbUp

I'll make it easy.... Michelin Pro Activ (MPA) or Bridgestone BT45. Same size as OEM tire. Both are rear sport bike bias ply tires. Lots of discussion on mounting forward or reverse rotation. Many arguments for and against. Put 41 pounds of air in and three ounces of Dyna-Beads then enjoy the ride!! :xszpv::xszpv:I

I'll make it easy.... Michelin Pro Activ (MPA) or Bridgestone BT45. Same size as OEM tire. Both are rear sport bike bias ply tires. Lots of discussion on mounting forward or reverse rotation. Many arguments for and against. Put 41 pounds of air in and three ounces of Dyna-Beads then enjoy the ride!! :xszpv::xszpv:I
A good summary Gold Rush!
I'm running the BT45, normal rotation. Has 6000 miles on the tire and it looks like new. I'm running 36 psi to soften the ride and it handles well! A big improvement over the OEM! :)

There have been at least a couple of dozen threads on this topic in the last 2 yrs. Go to advance search and you will find every conceivable opinion on earth on this subject. Personally, I went with the BT 45 and mounted it in reverse. Everyone has there on idea on what to do with that.

Yes to that, and be sure the get the BT45 (rear tire) for a deeper tread.

Wow, another AK trip on "2", you guys certainly know how enjoy your Wing. As I recall, this trip will add to the list of great journeys. Where do you winter in FL, I'd like to buy you coffee and you could share your packing method with me/us. We trip to the TN area for a week or so and I'm thinking a small hitch rack just for more stuff. Y'all be safe and enjoy.

I agree with Gold Rush. I have been running the MPA on my bike also at 41psi. I now have 18K on it and looks like i should have around 5k left on tread. Also use the beads for balance. Works great.

As long as you don't have Honda's unprotected TPMS sensors this is the best product I've found for balance/sealant:
http://www.ride-on.com/
I had a BT45 mounted reverse rotation @ 41psi. I do the twisties a lot. Got 19K from it.
Now trying a MPA, also reverse rotation and I'm trying 36/38psi this time.

We've been on many very long trips, including Alaska and we never pack heavy. A coat thin but warm, a rain suit, then things for the bike or trike with a half cover. Then pack meds and overnight bag, sun screen glasses and a hat. Then pack clothes in the balance of the areas, we never take more than a weeks worth and use washaterias or washers & dryers at motels. We wear gore-tex shoes, jeans, long sleeve light color riding shirt and our helmet. We pack in small bags for him & her and fill the trike box by weather conditions / coats and rain gear on the bottom to use as an insulator, then your other clothes bags. We carry a luggage rack bag that is easy to remove for the top on the tour box, extra water, snacks, and not as often used items... we use it also to stuff dirty clothes for next washing or night clothes & shorts. This bag comes off nightly and gets sorted for whats missing! Stuff some sandals in somewhere . In the tour box is your daily use items and your meds and sun glasses, reading glasses, paperwork for trip and passports, sunscreen, extra cool water or Gatorade, maybe a damp cool wash rag in a sandwich bag, Tom Tom storage, purse storage. We wear half helmets and ride for OUR comfort so we generally leave early to watch the sunrise and catch a quick breakfast, we stop for a small lunch and we're trying to be off the road or to our nightly stop by 4 - 5 PM unless we're running late. We ride in all weather, you really won't melt in the rain and will air dry if wet but you might melt in the sun so stay hydrated even though you may not feel it, you are loosing body water in all temps... if your not stopping to hydrate or drinking in route you are asking for a very short ride.. Don't plan your days in a rush, take your time and see the sites and ride what you & your passenger are comfortable with in mileage. Vary your trip day lengths to stay fresh and really look forward to the next day... have stops to do along the way... it's generally not an Iron Butt Run !!!

Our shortest trips are maybe a couple of days, and our longest trip so far on the trike has been 63 days.... a tour up the Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge, Skyline Parkways to Washington to see the Smithsonian then on up thru Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, Cape Breaton Island and the Cabot Trail then the ferry across to NewFoundland for a few days, then back on the ferry and a northern route thru Eastern Canada and on west and north to Alaska and Denali and heading home we went thru Zion NP & Bryce Canyon with a stop at Sturgis and back down US 385 all the way to Texas and home. We rarely ride on an Interstate Hwy / as you are fighting for position with other traffic and truckers... that's why we take our time and see the sights along the way, much more interesting and not stressful... Hope that helps but to each his own style, we like to see the country and have for many years with multiple trips to favorite destinations. Trips are for enjoyment not work, enjoy your time!!! Bob

PS: So I didn't hijack the thread we have always used the Michelin Pilot Activ rear bias ply mounted in reverse... average 25 - 30,000 miles per tire

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png