Ongoing 2014 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics and thoughts on the differences

Re: Ongoing 2014 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics and thoughts on the differences

Kevin, a few years ago at the Ontario HOG rally I guy was handing out a flyer about an air compressor mounted in the fairing I don't remember if it was just for inflating tires or if it was for adjusting the shocks. I had that flyer on my garage shelf for years, but I think I finally threw it away. I'll look.

On another note a couple years ago a guy had a prototype at my dealer with an on board mister. I thought it was, pardon the expression, cool. I've been using a small spray bottle of water in my windshield pouch for that application. I would probably have bought it if it wasn't so expensive. If I remember correctly he wanted somewhere around $450.

I appreciate people like you that think outside the box and come up with things that we didn't know we needed but do. Keep up the great work. ThumbUp

Re: Ongoing 2014 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics and thoughts on the differences

Kevin, a few years ago at the Ontario HOG rally I guy was handing out a flyer about an air compressor mounted in the fairing I don't remember if it was just for inflating tires or if it was for adjusting the shocks. I had that flyer on my garage shelf for years, but I think I finally threw it away. I'll look.

On another note a couple years ago a guy had a prototype at my dealer with an on board mister. I thought it was, pardon the expression, cool. I've been using a small spray bottle of water in my windshield pouch for that application. I would probably have bought it if it wasn't so expensive. If I remember correctly he wanted somewhere around $450.

I appreciate people like you that think outside the box and come up with things that we didn't know we needed but do. Keep up the great work. ThumbUp

Thank you.

Mary uses a spray mister also to keep cool on those hot days! Works really well in combination with the mesh jackets. :)

A few weeks ago the toggle on the left side for moving forward to the next song quit working. The up/down of the toggle works for volume, but not the forward/back part for fast forwarding or skipping to the next song on the MP3. Need to take it in and get the fixed under warranty...the toggle feels fine, just no functionality.

Just got the following advice on the above issue-

Kevin had the same problem try un-checking the presets for switching stations in setup. Hope this helps!

Rax

It worked!!! :)

Kevin

One thing I thought I noticed on the 14 that was different than the 11...when hitting curves/sweepers aggressively the 11 would skip the front tire thru the curve.

The 14 did not do that, but I thought it might be because I had been riding it a bit more conservatively.

But recently I've been hitting the curves just as aggressively (or more so) on 14 as the 11, and it is not doing the skipping.

So that is another improvement...either due to the heavier forks, redesigned trees, improved internals, or probably all three.

I know that the skipping on the 11 was a big contributor to front tire wear. It will be interesting to see how much longer the front tire lasts on the 14. :)

Kevin

Check out this short vid of exhaust sounds-

My 2014 TG is the last of the 5 bikes heard. I'm really enjoying how it sounds!

Kevin

Tell us more about the Rush pipes on your TriGlide :Shrug:

Tell us more about the Rush pipes on your TriGlide :Shrug:

They're the Rush 3.5" slash cut slip-ons. There are NO baffles in them, dyno'd em with the 2", 2.25" and 2.5" baffles, and not only do I like the sound better, but they dyno'd better with no baffles in them...but with the W258 Thunder Torque Inserts in them.

I'm running the fuelmoto 2-1-2 ceramic head pipes. But I was running the same slip-ons on my '11 TG with the stock headers with the cat removed.

Here's a vid of them on my '11 TG-

Kevin

Wow that's great. :pepper: Thanks for posting ThumbUp

Quick update...will expand more later...

The last 2 days I've really put the '14 to the test in the East Tn, NC area. I could not be more pleased with it. The harder I push it, the more the improvements over the '11 have really made themselves more apparent. I was not unhappy with the '11, just that the '14 has been a Big improvement for me.

:)

Kevin

Quick update...will expand more later...

The last 2 days I've really put the '14 to the test in the East Tn, NC area. I could not be more pleased with it. The harder I push it, the more the improvements over the '11 have really made themselves more apparent. I was not unhappy with the '11, just that the '14 has been a Big improvement for me.

:)

Kevin
I feel the same way with my 2014 over previous 2010 & 2012. I'll be interested to compare our feelings when you get time!

It's been a long time since I've updated this thread...been really busy.

We've done a few more mods/adjustment, as listed below-

Installed the winter windshield. It is about 4" taller, has a recurve, and is squared off at the top corners to block even more of the air.

WinterWinshiled_zps79f14b4f.jpg

This is a windshield I have to look thru, not over. But for riding in cold temps, it blocks Much more of the air.

It works very well at blocking the wind, it also reduces MPG by 1-2. It also makes the front end just a bit lighter and I can feel more feedback in the handlebars from turbulent/crosswind air. Nothing even close to approaching bothersome, but it is there. For us it is a good trade-off for riding in the 20's , 30's and 40's.

One final note...the fairing vent works equally well with this windshield as the stock windshield.

Over the years, we've had several bikes (and 2 Tri-Glides) with Tour-Paks that have the wrap-around passenger backrest. Mary has logged well over 100,000 miles in comfort with those factory stock backrests.

When she sat on the 2014 with the new passenger backrest, it felt even more comfortable for her....UNTIL our first multi-day trip.

As noted in the picture below, the armrests on the new style do not slope down near as much. After hours of riding with her arms resting on those rests, her arms would get sore right below the elbow. Also, she said the backrest being higher and thicker prevented her from leaning back.

PassBKRST7_zpsadb0264b.jpg

Initially she thought she could modify the existing backrest, but after removing it and looking at the plastic frame that the foam and vinyl cover is wrapped around, it became apparent that reshaping it was not really feasible.

So with the stock backrest unbolted and put away on a shelf, she got a piece of paper and made a template of where she wanted the padding to be for her backrest. It turned out to be quite simple.

Here's a pic of what the TP looks like with the backrest removed. Yep, lots of road dust there that never gets cleaned. :)

PassBKRST3_zps31f4cb86.jpg

Here's a pic of the paper template (top) and then the plastic frame for the new low profile backrest.

PassBKRST5_zps4d03eb9a.jpg

This is the tub that she cut the plastic frame/form from. It is close to the same thickness/strength/flexibility as the stock one.

PassBKRST6_zps1c066a16.jpg

After cutting out the plastic, we marked where the three backrest mount holes needed to be, and then the access holes for the TP lid strap unit. I drilled the holes for her...other than that she did this entire project herself.

Here it is, checking fitment-

PassBKRST4_zpsbc7705af.jpg

She then cleaned up the plastic form and then glued a stiffener to it. This stiffener is a material she uses in making the frame covers for the Sporty solo seat systems. It is a thin, but strong cloth-like material. After the glue had dried, we test fit it to the TP to make sure it would bolt-up and that it was what she wanted.

PassBKRST2_zpse78ee9fc.jpg

She then sewed a vinyl cover that slips over the plastic form and then velcros together at the bottom. By using velcro to hold the vinyl cover to the frame (instead of what HD does, which is to staple the vinyl to the plastic) she is able to play with different foams and thickness of foam easily. Plus I had to have access to the bolt heads that secure the rest to the TP.

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of her sewing this up.

Here is a pic of it installed on the bike, but with no foam in it yet.

PassBKRST1_zps81a010aa.jpg

Here is a pic with it ready to ride, with about 2" of foam in it.

PassBKRST8_zps0812a646.jpg

She has a bit over 5000 miles using this backrest, most of it on the Fall Colors Trip, and it is Much more comfortable for her. She can rest her arms on the speaker pods, but mostly she has room to move them around instead of having to put them on the stock armrests.

She is experimenting with different foams now...the original foam she used did not keep it's form as well as it could have on the trip.

Between her liking it so much better, and the low profile look, it is a keeper.

Another thing I did was add a power point to the Tour Pak. Can't find any pics of it, but it was pretty simple. Ran a fused hot wire and a ground into the TP via the hole already there, then attached the power point to the TP lining. Now we can charge camera, phone, etc. while riding.

Right now I am testing some slip-ons we made. I was running the Rush slip-ons with W258 TTI's and no baffles. Made good power and a deep sound, but I had an idea to get even more power out of a slip-on. It is looking good, but more testing is needed.

We've been testing the onboard air system for quite awhile now. I have not been able to break it...so that is good. We use the momentary switch to add or subtract as little as 1 lb PSI at a time. It is working very well to easily find the sweet spot for the rear shocks, regardless of the load or condition of the road. There are a couple of additional features to the unit (beside shock PSI adjustment) that we hope to release in January.

I don't miss having to stop, remove the side cover, unscrew the schraeder valve cap, get the pump, and then add or subtract air, then button it all back up. :)

Looking back at the list I made on Page 1 of this thread, I have done pretty much everything on the list....

I still have not made a safety tether for the TP lid.

I want a better oil cooler than the one I'm running.

In all kinds of weather, and 10k miles later, the clear coat I put on the rear wheels is still holding up perfectly....what used to be the most difficult thing to clean is now the easiest! :)

I still don't know all the features of the infotainment system, but I am regularly using, & enjoying, the following features-

GPS
POI
Info button that gives air temp and oil pressure
USB media with some good tunes on the MP3 (don't miss the CD's one bit)

Since the very first time I test rode a 2011 TG, I have been very impressed with how well it handles. We put over 50k miles on the 2011 TG, and made lots of good memories! The 2014 is an improvement on that with the heavier forks, improved trees, and extra torque. If you haven't seen it, we made a vid of a run thru the Dragon.

From when I first laid eyes on a TG, to today, they look like they would tip over so easily, and I am still impressed with how well they handle and how stable they are.

One final thing I just remembered....I have never used GPS on anything besides the built-in one of the 14 TG. It is an improvement beyond words for a long trip...makes it much more enjoyable, especially for Mary.

It has gotten confused a couple of times...sending us in circles...like it did not know where it was. lol I'm not sure if this is something that happens now and then with all GPS units...but even if it is a shortcoming of the the HD unit only, we are VERY happy with it.

I will continue to update this thread as I do more upgrades to the TG, and have more observations about it.

Kevin

Kevin,

I really enjoy your write ups and the trip pictures. I have something I would like to ask though. I know you have the comfort lift but do you also have the kit that levels the tourpack installed on yours? If so , could the combo of the lift, ,which would make the backrest more upright, combined with the tourpack kit and the tendency to again straighten the tourpack backrest have made the backrest too vertical or even past vertical for Mary's comfort? It doesn't look that way, but sometimes a few degrees might be a few too many. It would be interesting to measure the angle of the backrest on a stock bike and the angle with the lift kit and finally lift kit and tour pack relocation kit.

BTW, I intend on having both kits on mine, just as soon as my backseater gets finished spending my money on Black Friday.

Steve

It's been a long time since I've updated this thread...been really busy.

Installed the winter windshield. It is about 4" taller, has a recurve, and is squared off at the top corners to block even more of the air.

Kevin

Where did you get the windshield from and do you have a model number for it?

Thanks,

DCaliendo ................

Kevin,

I really enjoy your write ups and the trip pictures. I have something I would like to ask though. I know you have the comfort lift but do you also have the kit that levels the tourpack installed on yours? If so , could the combo of the lift, ,which would make the backrest more upright, combined with the tourpack kit and the tendency to again straighten the tourpack backrest have made the backrest too vertical or even past vertical for Mary's comfort? It doesn't look that way, but sometimes a few degrees might be a few too many. It would be interesting to measure the angle of the backrest on a stock bike and the angle with the lift kit and finally lift kit and tour pack relocation kit.

BTW, I intend on having both kits on mine, just as soon as my backseater gets finished spending my money on Black Friday.

Steve

I do have the Comfort Lift on my 14, and I had it on my 11 also.

I also relocated the Tour Pak back on both bikes, but I did Not "level" the Tour Pak at all, for the very reason that you state, plus, I never thought they looked droopy after a Lift Kit is on...but that is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Here's a link to the thread on how I relo'd the TP back further (while keeping the same angle).

Starts at post #30

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/thre...of-pics-and-thoughts-on-the-differences/page3

The stock backrest on the pre-14 models fit her perfectly...with and without the Comfort Lift and with and without the TP moved back. I think what she felt uncomfortable with is that the 14+ models have a higher backrest, and it also has more cushioning that pushes the passenger forward more than the older style backrests.

Kevin

Good write up Kevin, enjoying this thread. Thanks

O yea I love the lift kit.

Cool! Always good to hear!

Where did you get the windshield from and do you have a model number for it?

Thanks,

DCaliendo ................

I got it from Long Ride Shields, it's called- The 2014 Ultra Shield. I got the 14" model.

http://www.longrideshields.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1823

On my 2011 I had the Flat Top Elite which blocked even more air, but they don't have that model for the 14's - Up.

The for summer riding on my 2011 I had The Stealth model. This made a noticeable improvement in front tire traction and handling, also better MPG. But they do not have it yet for the 14's & 15's.

Kevin

Kevin,

I apologize, I had read that you relocated the tour pack and assumed (you know what that does) that you had leveled it too. I too think the 14 backrest sits straighter than the pre 14's. I know my backseater really likes it more than the one on our 12 Limited. My wife is about 5'7 and I wonder if if her height would play into her happiness with the backrest. She really likes that extra support. We looked at the pictures of your modification and she is amazed how good it looks. She said she wishes she had Mary's talent. She actually does have talent but it's knitting and crocheting which she does going down the road when she is not sleeping. It can make for some interesting situations when her yarn gets caught in the wind and comes whipping forward and is just in my peripheral vision.

Thanks for sharing your mods and trips. I am learning that the trike community is a pretty tight bunch no matter the brand you ride. I am also learning that there are some very smart and inventive riders out there.

Ride safe

Steve

Kevin,

I apologize, I had read that you relocated the tour pack and assumed (you know what that does) that you had leveled it too. I too think the 14 backrest sits straighter than the pre 14's. I know my backseater really likes it more than the one on our 12 Limited. My wife is about 5'7 and I wonder if if her height would play into her happiness with the backrest. She really likes that extra support. We looked at the pictures of your modification and she is amazed how good it looks. She said she wishes she had Mary's talent. She actually does have talent but it's knitting and crocheting which she does going down the road when she is not sleeping. It can make for some interesting situations when her yarn gets caught in the wind and comes whipping forward and is just in my peripheral vision.

Thanks for sharing your mods and trips. I am learning that the trike community is a pretty tight bunch no matter the brand you ride. I am also learning that there are some very smart and inventive riders out there.

Ride safe

Steve

Hey Steve, no problem at all.

Mary is 5' 8", I think it is just a matter of body type, riding style, etc. I lean back (slouch) a lot, especially when we are chewing up the miles on longer riding days.

When I do that it puts my upper body and helmet in her space, so I think she leans back a bit more than she would otherwise.

eeek! I would not like to have something flying into my peripheral vision....

So your wife sleeps on the back too? lol Not so much on the TG, but on two wheels Mary has taken long naps. Once we passed thru a heavy rainstorm (it was summer and in the 90's), she did not wake up until after the storm AND enough time had passed that all our clothes dried out. When I stopped and poured water out of my boots, she could not believe that it had rained that much and she had not wakened up. rofl.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

My Parents just bought a 2015 Tri Glide.

we were wondering if you knew of any kits that will raise the passenger floorboards up a little bit? both my parents are relatively short.

thanks

Hi Kevin,

My Parents just bought a 2015 Tri Glide.

we were wondering if you knew of any kits that will raise the passenger floorboards up a little bit? both my parents are relatively short.

thanks
Harley part #50789-99B

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png