ADV valve

Some of you may know that I was having a time with blown seals.

Someone told me to disable the ADV valve on the front fork. I was hesitant because I'm not one to disable something that the manufacturer put in (but I will rip off the rear end to make a trike.. go figure), but anyway.....

About a week ago I the seal blew AAAAGIAN. so i figured what the heck, I ordered this kit from ebay

2bae_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GL1800-GOLDW...d15e5&vxp=mtre

I got it Saturday and put it on last night.

Welllllllll

When I pulled out of the garage I knew something was different. I felt absolutely NO bumps in my drive way.

It was actually scary, bumps and jars that I knew I hit yesterday going down street WERE GONE.

I went and tried to hit a few, and I swear that I could NOT feel them. The front end went from harsh and tight, to silky smooth.

As I said before I am not one to disable stuff, but had I know that by disabling this the ride was going to be that good; I would have done it the DAY I bought my bike.

ITS THAT MUCH OF AN IMPROVEMENT

So, I don't care...

find a nickle drill a hole in it,

buy this kit,

or buy some cut washers,

or whatever you have to do.....

DO this and you wont regret it...

It was just that much better

Attachments

• 2bae_12.JPG
    2bae_12.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 378
Many have "shimmed" the ADV plunger in various ways.
However, The ADV is there for a reason. If working properly it would not cause blown fork seals. Nor would you feel every bump in you drive.
The plunger and/or the valve can stick in the "on" position. They should be cleaned at times, do mine once a year. It still performs it's function properly. Ride is fine and I have yet to blow a seal.

I disabled mine this spring using something like you show, it seems to have softened mine up some also. I'm going to be having a friend of mine install Traxion AK20 cartridges in my front end at the end of July, I'm looking forward to having the ability to fine tune the front suspension.

I disabled mine this spring using something like you show, it seems to have softened mine up some also. I'm going to be having a friend of mine install Traxion AK20 cartridges in my front end at the end of July, I'm looking forward to having the ability to fine tune the front suspension.

You'll love the AK20's as they are made for you and the spouse based on weight and riding style, had mine done long ago when it was still a bike, not a trike and better than ever... you'll loose all the bumping feel and steering wash-out, noticed more as a bike but the are perfect for a trike... ENJOY !!

You'll love the AK20's as they are made for you and the spouse based on weight and riding style, had mine done long ago when it was still a bike, not a trike and better than ever... you'll loose all the bumping feel and steering wash-out, noticed more as a bike but the are perfect for a trike... ENJOY !!

Nice, I'm looking forward to them. We had them installed in my dads 09 Triglide this past winter, I haven't had a chance to do any real corner work with it. He has been riding it and likes it.

Not a very thought out design by Honda, why didn't they put cartridges in BOTH front forks, leave off the ADV and had a super front suspension. Well maybe not super but certainly better than what they gave us.

This sounds like something I defiantly want to do.
I dislike the Honda front end feel so much on this bike.
Its a tad better then the Valks was but not by much.
Where is this valve on the front forks.

How does this work? Seems like allows same amount of rear brake feed-back?

Does the brakes have to be bled after this is installed? Is there brake fluid lost while installing this?

I really hate the harsh crash the front end does, even on the expansion joints on a concrete interstate highway.

The original design of the ADV was to eliminate front end dive when applying the front brake. Which also increased the harshness of the ride throughout the front fork travel. When you disable the ADV it does allow a little more dive under heavy front braking but it more than is offset by the smoother front travel over minor bumps.
Standing in front & looking head on at the forks, you will find the ADV at the bottom of the right front fork. You can take out the two allen head bolts and separate the halves without the loss of any fluid. You can then place a nickle, drill a 3/16 hole in the center of the nickle first, in the lower cup and replace the top half. Be careful to not over torque the top half.

Pictures would help. What years have this ?

ADV.jpg This is what the animal looks like John. As far as I know all year GL1800 have them. I can't believe Honda would have changed for 2012 and later but I have never worked on one so I don't know. The two dark circles are the cap head bolts to remove. It helps to have ball allen wrench but if you have a long shaft allen wrench you can probably get to it.

As mentioned earlier there is no danger of loosing fluid or getting air in the brake system. If you happen to have a piece of 3/16 inch aluminum laying around and some patience you can fashion a spacer like showed and then pick up a couple replacement (longer) cap head bolts. I did this several years ago... :xszpv::xszpv:

I'm most likely the only one confused by this pic however, the screw head circled to the right is the one to remove. Along w/the same looking screw on the other side of the valve.
If you remove the banjo bolt that appears to be circled on the left, you will in deed lose fluid:blush:
Also, if the ADV is operating properly, the forks much compress/release rapidly while braking, as in riding over a "washboard" surface for the ADV to restrict the fork travel significantly. At least mine does.
As a check to see if the ADV is working, I lock the front brake, then bounce the forks. Usually on the 3rd "bounce" the forks will "lock".

This mod which takes all of 5 minutes makes no sense to me.
What does placing a drilled nickel in the space do??
The plunger in the top half still goes through allowing fluids to flow??:xzqxz:

Is it the nickel taking up what would be a miniscule amount of space proving less fluid volume??:xzqxz:

While the shim kit adds volume???
By increasing the space.

If none of the above Im done..............:D

Yet still confuddeled.

This mod which takes all of 5 minutes makes no sense to me.
What does placing a drilled nickel in the space do??
The plunger in the top half still goes through allowing fluids to flow??:xzqxz:

Is it the nickel taking up what would be a miniscule amount of space proving less fluid volume??:xzqxz:

While the shim kit adds volume???
By increasing the space.

If none of the above Im done..............:D

Yet still confuddeled.

By installing the nickle your keeping it from pushing down on the ADV.

gl1800antidive3.jpg
gl1800antidive4.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png