Another Cam thread

Mr.Wizard

Rider
Jan 3, 2009
United States
The problem that faces us all, when choosing the correct cam, is what will work with our individual bike modifications and how we ride.

Our riding style can be solo, two up, with or without a trailer or any combination. Our motor modifications vary as well. Most of us with a TG have a 103 motor. If we went new cams we probably already have a catless head pipe, mufflers of some sort and an open style breather.

Let's narrow a few things down. Catless head pipe. This could mean that you gutted your stock head pipe or purchased aftermarket. If you stayed with the factory style 2-1-2 head pipe you will keep more bottom end torque which is what a heavy trike needs. A factory head pipe that is gutted is a good head pipe and will work very well. It will radiate a little more heat than an aftermarket pipe but will fit anyone's budget.

The aftermarket head pipe will have a CAD built collector which will give you a bolt on 4 to 5 extra ft lbs of torque and horse power.

It will be a cooler header due to some sort of coating.

The slip on mufflers are only important to your noise level or tone comfort until you get over a 2.0 baffle.

Anything over a 2.0 is difficult to tune on the bottom end to mid range and is difficult to stop decel popping due to exhaust reverberation.

That's where the pipes suck in cold air during decel, mix with the unburned exhaust gases and are ignited causing a POW when you are slowing down.

The air cleaner up to 2013 is only good to so many HP. About 80 to 90 HP if that so if you want to pull in more air for more HP you need a Stage 1 air cleaner. The 2014 air cleaners are good up to 90+ unless you change to a mid to high lift cam. The motor will want to breath. If you choke it off with a restricted air cleaner then don't install the cams.

Now, cams...

You can search back through years of threads and posts here to find the same question over and over and over... What cam should I run? What will give me the best bang for my buck? What gives the best overall performance?

What will give me the best bottom torque? What cam will give you the best performance and gas mileage.

What cam will line your pocket with $100 bills??

Answer... Assuming you did the air cleaner, catless head pipe and at least a 2.0 baffle there are several cams that will fit the bill nicely.

I haven't found any $100 bills mysteriously in my pocket yet but still hopeful.

What I want to do here is show you the difference in what makes a good cam for a Trike and why. Take a look at this cam comparison graph. It's the 245E vs the S&S 551EZ cams. I've been asked over and over again what cam gives the best bottom end and why I went with the 254E cam. The answer is because it fits my riding style and can handle the Trike. It's not necessarily the best bottom end cam. The S&S 551EZ cam is.

The following dyno chart was made on a 2014 RK with an AC, catless head pipe and 2.0 slip on mufflers.

The only difference is the cam profile. Do you see how the S&S 551 has more bottom end torque? (The Blue line)

l0c4.jpg

Yes, more bottom end torque but after 4300 RPM's it falls off a cliff.

So do the 255 cams (not shown) although the 255 cams can't touch either torque profile here.

Here is a chart showing the stock 2014 cam compared to the S&S 551EZ. See the nice rise in torque for bottom and mid range?

6v7zn.jpg

OK, but I said I wanted to show everyone why I chose the 254E cam. That's because I wanted bottom end, mid range and high RPM torque just like you.

But how?

When you choose a cam you usually get two of the RPM ranges covered. With the 254E cam you get as close to all three as possible, get good power with manageable gas mileage. It's not a lumpy cam but with the EFI systems it's hard to manage a lump, lump, lump, potato, potato, potato sound. I also got a quiet cam...

well, as quiet as a HD cam can be.

The S&S 551 has better bottom end. The 254E cam has great bottom end pulling power for the way I ride. If I saw this chart before installing the 254E cams I would have chosen the S&S 551EZ cams and tweaked the top end. However, I don't want to go back in and start all over.

So, the 254E cams are fine for me.

Now, no... this is not MY dyno chart. There were no timing changes done here. It just shows the raw torque and HP lines that can be made before tweaking the tune.

I have made such tweaks which pushes my 254E's higher in low end torque. Call it the best of both worlds.

For you guys with other aftermarket cams. This would be a great place to post your charts with 103 motors so the rest of us can see your curves.

I will also add... other popular cam profiles are almost the same as the 254E. They vary a few ft lbs of TQ or HP here and there. I'm talking about cams with less than 550 lift and 240 duration. They are the most popular cams used for bottom end and mid range.

The higher profile cams will drag out the high RPM areas but will show a loss in the bottom end.

So, let's get a conversation going here and maybe, if it's good enough, we can have a place to discuss cam charts and compare. May even turn into a sticky.

-Wiz

Ok Wiz, I'll toss mine out here:

The first attempt I made at tuning was running the Woods 555 with true duals, Rush mufflers with 2 inch baffles and the SE air cleaner, that setup was a waste even with a good dyno tune.

The setup I have now is what's in my signature line and it runs great and pulls the 2 of us and our trailer just fine. I have about 15K on this setup and tune and I'm not changing it until it's time for a new trike.

I know this will come up so I'll toss it out too, I know there are dyno's and there are dyno's some read differently than others, but here are the results on my trike.

All I have to say is this is a great setup for me.

Liven2ride wrote

Ok Wiz, I'll toss mine out here:

The first attempt I made at tuning was running the Woods 555 with true duals, Rush mufflers with 2 inch baffles and the SE air cleaner, that setup was a waste even with a good dyno tune.

If I am reading this right, only changes were you went with / full sac instead of true duels and different slip-ons? Different tuner? (person or product)

Your sig line: 2012 Triglide, Woods 555 Cam, SE Heavy Breather Air Cleaner, Fullsac X-Pipe, SE Fatshotz Mufflers, Hayden Chain Adjuster, Barnett +1 Clutch, AIM 480# Clutch Spring with ClutchWiz, SE Pro Tuner Dyno Tuned.

You're reading it right. You did miss the change from the SE Air Cleaner to the SE Heavy Breather AC. Same SE Pro Tuner same person doing the tune on the same dyno.

Things changed:

Rush True duals to Fullsac X 2-1-2 header

Rush slip on's to HD Fatshotz

AC changed per above

This is a stock displacement 103 with stock heads and the same Woods 555 cams with both setups.

The first setup with the true duals and open mufflers yeilded 85 hp. and 101 Ft. lbs. of torque.

We took vacations thru South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana two years in a row and ran some of the same mountain ranges. With the new setup and tune I could run 1 gear higher in most places. I'll bet you can say that about your TG after the Wiz worked it over :D.

One big difference between the charts posted by Wiz and Livin2Ride.....Wiz's chart uses SAE smoothing, L2R uses standard smoothing (says so on both charts). Standard smoothing will always read higher than SAE.

This is all I have to date. All on the same bike

Baseline combination:

2014 103 HO Air Cooled (Touring)

Fullsac DX pipe

Cycle Shack 4” Slip-ons

AC Breather kit

All other same plus camshaft

Stock Cam

ni6x8.jpg

S&S 551EZ

6v7zn.jpg

S&S 570EZ

ev51.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

SE259E

d2od.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

SE255

yond.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

SE254E

w737.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Andrews 57H

5h3k.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Andrews 54H

zceo.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Andrews 48H

o2kg.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Andrews 37H

nh610.jpg

Hey Wiz do you have anything on the 2014 trike with twinn cool? I'm pretty happy with the performance but want more kick. Im running the big sucker ,catless head pipe, and stock pipes , and se tuner with a stage 1 down load.

pretty well falls down 3500 . I had the 255 in my 12 and it was the same as this one it seems. im not looking for hi rpm but the 254e looks interesting

Since we are talking cams, anyone have any ideas of life of stock cam in '10 TG using synthetic oil?

Cams themselves are almost rarely the issue. Stock cam bearings can be an issue of failure and stock 99C lifters are notorious for failures.

If one does a cam swap it is prudent to replace the cam bearings with Timken style full roller bearings and quality lifters to circumvent a possible failure.

Cams themselves are almost rarely the issue. Stock cam bearings can be an issue of failure and stock 99C lifters are notorious for failures.

If one does a cam swap it is prudent to replace the cam bearings with Timken style full roller bearings and quality lifters to circumvent a possible failure.

:Agree: ThumbUp.

Wow! That S&S 551EZ torque curve looks like a Mesa in Arizona. Whats the scoop on that cam? I've already owned an SE-255 on my 2010 Triglide. Hard on 91 octane around here. Does anyone know if that S&S has the same fuel quality challenges as the SE-255?

Wow! That S&S 551EZ torque curve looks like a Mesa in Arizona. Whats the scoop on that cam? I've already owned an SE-255 on my 2010 Triglide. Hard on 91 octane around here. Does anyone know if that S&S has the same fuel quality challenges as the SE-255?

I think it would be worse on crummy fuel than the 255, the S&S 551 has an intake close of 19 which is going to give you a Cold Cranking Pressure around 203. The SE255 has an intake close of 25 which will give you around a 200 CCP.

You could look at the SE254E it has an intake close of 43 and will put your CCP right around 183, this will be much friendlier when the fuel quality is poor.

Ok here we go. This is the dyno on my 2014 twin cool Tri Glide yesterday.
Nightstick slip ons, Stage one se air cleaner, SE race tuner and no cat. I can tell ya this trike out preforms the Road Glide I had hands down.
I am impressed minimum money great power and no warranty issues
img022.jpg

I think it would be worse on crummy fuel than the 255, the S&S 551 has an intake close of 19 which is going to give you a Cold Cranking Pressure around 203. The SE255 has an intake close of 25 which will give you around a 200 CCP.

You could look at the SE254E it has an intake close of 43 and will put your CCP right around 183, this will be much friendlier when the fuel quality is poor.

this was my cam change last year. went from s.e.255 to a s&s 551 e.z. you are correct about fuel requirements . 91 or above !
I had to put 87 in it once and it caused lots of problems. I ended up draining it , refilling with 93 and adding sea foam to get it straightened out. Over all I am happy with the cam.

As my profile indicates, I use a S&S 557 Cam with True duals, Bigger AC, V&H exhaust and a Research Tuner and Dyno. Love the Lower and mid-range Torque but it does suffer in Higher Range (6TH GEAR) with 2 up.:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png