Reverse on a 2010 TG

Jul 3, 2010
Cotopaxi,Co. USA
Can the condition of the battery cause the reverse to not work ? I just bought the trike it has 140 miles on it so basically new. The battery has enough life in it to start the trike but when trying to back up it just clicks. After sitting the last 4 years I am sure the battery needs replacing. I can't believe there would be anything wrong with the reverse with only 140 miles. the guy I bought it from said it worked fine when he parked it 4 years ago. He had a heart attack right after he bought it and never rode it again.

Thanks,SR

Can the condition of the battery cause the reverse to not work ? I just bought the trike it has 140 miles on it so basically new. The battery has enough life in it to start the trike but when trying to back up it just clicks. After sitting the last 4 years I am sure the battery needs replacing. I can't believe there would be anything wrong with the reverse with only 140 miles. the guy I bought it from said it worked fine when he parked it 4 years ago. He had a heart attack right after he bought it and never rode it again.

Thanks,SR

Check the circuit breaker up the right side cover.
Does the volt meter drop when you press the reverse.
You have pressed the R button first before hitting the arrow.
Has to be in Neutral

Sorry have to ask these questions

I have 2010 and the reverse is still working with the original battery.

If the battery is weak' Then it will trip the circuit breaker.....
But the reverse is a pi** poor design, and can give up the ghost if you put too much of a load on it; ie' backing up a steep incline, or holding it in reverse for more than 10/15 seconds..
I had mine out a few times[11T/G] I learned to park carefully so I don't use it any more...
Bye the way a new reverse motor is around 13 hundred dollars... Just for the motor no labor...:AGGHH:

But the reverse is a pi** poor design, and can give up the ghost if you put too much of a load on it; ie' backing up a steep incline, or holding it in reverse for more than 10/15 seconds..
I had mine out a few times[11T/G] I learned to park carefully so I don't use it any more...
Bye the way a new reverse motor is around 13 hundred dollars... Just for the motor no labor...:AGGHH:

A battery sitting for 4 years needs to be replaced. Then see if you still have the same issue. Even if the battery has a charge the chemicals are shot from sitting. Let us know if the new battery takes care of your issue.

Ted

I did push the r button and it is in neutral.

If it was the circuit breaker would it even come on ? It does come on and makes a clunk when I push on the arrow.

I would hate to think it was the motor with only 140 miles on it . the PO only rode it twice he couldn't have used reverse more than a couple times.

Thanks,
SR

I would really doubt if the motor was bad. Those reverse motors suck a lot of battery power. I've seen my volt meter drop to 10 volts when using reverse. That's why I always give it gas when backing up. Most times now I park where I don't have to use it or use "sneaker power".

You are going to get a lot of thoughts on this subject.

Check the connections at the motor (reverse) and make sure they are tight and have a good connection same for the battery.

You can always take the battery out and have it load tested for free at any Harley dealer or automotive place.

Good Luck..

I have a '10 and had all the problems with reverse. If you hear clicking, the breaker might be in a half tripped state. Trip all way and reset. Breaker and motor both eventually replaced on mine.

Rhino, I never had a problem with my 2012 reverse. I even backed up 100' once on the expressway because I missed a sign = no problem. Have backed up a lot on my 2014 and still no problems - other then the sound that is. :D

It's mechanical - anything mechanical can go bad at some time.....some sooner then others. ThumbUp

It was the breaker. I did go a head and replace the battery.

It was a good find 2010 with only 140 miles. I changed all the fluids when I got it home. I tried to siphon out the gas but no luck. He said he put stabilizer in it and I added some Seafoam in before I left his house. It's only 1/2 tank. Seemed to run fine.

I have a power package on the way from Fuel Moto. Head pipes, mufflers. Air Cleaner, Power Commander V with the auto tune attachment.

Thanks a lot for the help.

The reverse motor pulls a Lot of juice out of the battery, When you hit the reverse button look at the Volt gauge on the faring.. Doe's it drop below 8v and the lights dim and sometimes the engine stumbles, Then I would suspect the battery might be weak. :Shrug:

The trike still makes a click sound if the breaker is thrown. Reset it . If the battery starts the trike I would think it would back up.*

Not necessarily so.

The reverse motor pulls a Lot of juice out of the battery, When you hit the reverse button look at the Volt gauge on the faring.. Doe's it drop below 8v and the lights dim and sometimes the engine stumbles, Then I would suspect the battery might be weak. :Shrug:

Rhino pretty well hit the nail on the head on how my 2012 acted when the battery was going. Bike would start fine, but touch that reverse button and the Volt meter would dive left and the engine would stumble and possibly die. After that it would require some time on the battery tender to rechange and start. New battery fixed mine as well.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png