20,000 miles

Oct 22, 2012
Marietta Ga.
Kinda new to Harleys, assuming the bike was well taking care of, is 20,000 miles on a Harley considered a lot of miles ?

If buying a used Harley should you stay away from one with 20,000 miles on it even if it looks like new? Thanks for any help.

I had 89,000 miles on my Springer when I sold it, still see it running around. 81,000 on my Ultra and 70,000 on my Dyna. Only mechanical problems I have ever had, I caused.

Here is what I look out for in buying used bikes or cars. MODS!! Especially back yard mechanics mods. They MAY be the best mechanics in the world, but probably aren't. You have no idea what they have done 'tinkering' with their machines. I'm even more leery of 8 year old bikes / trikes with 500 miles on them

Good Luck, and happy hunting.

It really depends on what year we are talking about. A well maintained HD with 20k is just nicely broke in. The only real wear issue I am aware of for a HD at 20K would be a Twin Cam 88. The cam chain tension normally wore out at 20 to 30k. The later Twin Cams have a different setup and do not suffer from this wear. But even at that it is a 500 dollar repair.

Have a mechanic check over the bike you are looking at and if all checks out go for it.

Thanks for all the great advice, of course I'm keeping my 2013 T/G, but I have been looking at some used sportster 1200's to run around town in, beer runs etc. I found one that really looks good, sounds good, but has 20,000 on it, it's at my lcl Harley dealer that I bought my T/G, I forget what year it is but it has a carb. I think it's a 2004, but really looks great, they are asking $4600,
does that sound way out of line ?

20,000 miles on a 10 year old Sporty seems about right. Sportsters are geneally a shorter trip kind of ride, so 2000 miles a year is in the ballpark of the "average" (according to the USDoT) annual motorcycle mileage. Should be good for a long time as an around-town playbike.

Thanks for all the great advice, of course I'm keeping my 2013 T/G, but I have been looking at some used sportster 1200's to run around town in, beer runs etc. I found one that really looks good, sounds good, but has 20,000 on it, it's at my lcl Harley dealer that I bought my T/G, I forget what year it is but it has a carb. I think it's a 2004, but really looks great, they are asking $4600,

I wouldn't be to scared of Harley with 20,000 miles on it. It sounds like an evo and they are about bullet proof to my way of thinking.

A 2004 Sporty is pretty bulletproof. 2003 an earlier are solid mount engines...2004+ are rubber mounted. Makes a big difference in rider comfort...if that makes a difference to you.

I think you can probably do better than 4600 on a 2004 1200 though....either a lower price, or a newer model with less miles for the same price.

From 2007 up all Sportsters are EFI, if that makes a difference.

Kevin

Kinda new to Harleys, assuming the bike was well taking care of, is 20,000 miles on a Harley considered a lot of miles ?

If buying a used Harley should you stay away from one with 20,000 miles on it even if it looks like new? Thanks for any help.
I bought a 2006 Electra Glide last Aug. It had 4, 260 on it. The guy I bought it from was an older gentleman. Who was having dizzy spells so he was scared to ride it. It was pure stock machine & well taking care of. When his son backed it out of the trailer. I damn near fell over. CLEAN CLEAN. Nice looking motorcycle. Started right up and let it run for a few mins. Checked every thing out from under neath to front to back. Sat on it rode around the lot. Said sold when I rode back up. Drove it home from Wis to Minn about an hour ride. Very nice machine & it still is. Glad I bought it. ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png