Drilling vent holes in a helmet

Dec 3, 2012
Ashburn, Ga
I live in a state where helmets are mandatory. I used to live in Illinois where they were not. Over the years I've grown accustomed to not wearing a helmet unless it got to be cool outside. I hate wearing a helmet in anything over 80 degrees outside. I cannot ride due to heat being kept inside my helmet.
My question is, can I drill extra vent holes in my helmet for extra air circulation and where, and still be legal? I don't care about damaging the integrity of the helmet, I just need relief from the heat. Has anyone done this and does it work? I'm riding a trike and in a few states, I don't need a helmet for three wheels, only two. Does anyone know if this will work? I'm sure the majority of police wouldn't even question this, because they wouldn't know themselves. :(

There are several helmet brands on the market that have vent "holes" or systems in them.
So, wouldn't know what would be wrong w/adding some.
Having said that, not sure how one would keep rain out without having covers to close the vent holes.
Nor do I know what drilling would do to the integrity of the helmet!

I would not alter the structure of a helmet in ANY way.
Drilling a hold in the helmet may not help unless you get through the Styrofoam, and or the padding.
Secondly these things are designed to absorb impact and I can see drilling holes in it as not helping in this at all.

Here is an alternative. By a new helmet that HAS vent holes in it..
But one caveat...
NO helmet is going to give you a lot of air if you ride below the level of the windshield. Windshields are designed to channel air away from you.
vent holes in helmet are designed to grab incoming moving air and move it into the interior of the helmet. See the problem??!!

The windshield is stopping the air from hitting the helmet.
The only way around this is to...
1-get a screen with a vent and open if directing the air to your helmet.
or
2-sitting higher so your head is in the wind stream over the top of the windshield, and opening the vents.

My Arai, usually provides noticeable airflow WHEN THE HELMET IS IN THE WINDSTREAM. If not no airflow.

Arai makes a helmet that has pretty good. I have the SZ
sz_m_black_LARGE_290x290.jpg
and it brings in air very well (again when its in the airstream)

Their newest models (XC & Vector 2's) does even better than that by adding actual scoops to grab air.

good luck

This is an interesting subject. My thoughts... Who cares if you drill some holes in a helmet? Nobody that I can think of. I don't think law enforcement would notice or even care if they did notice. A helmet with holes is still better protection than no helmet, and if it compromises the functional utility of the helmet, that is no ones concern but the owner's. What is the difference between drilling holes or not wearing a helmet at all? None that I can see. I personally would not do it and I do wear a helmet even though my state does not require it. But I can sure see why someone would like more air flow on a 100 degree day. I say it's your call. I wont tell anyone. ;)

You would think all helmets would have a air vent, I mean it couldn't cost that much :Shrug: I have a Bell Pit Boss helmet, I also was thinking of drilling a couple of holes. Couple of 1/4" holes, Geez, what could that hurt :Shrug:

Not a good idea....upon impact "if" You need the Helmet, it may split into sharp shards.....here in Tennessee, altering a Helmet in such a manner will get You a ticket, and Your Trike/Motorcycle/Scooter will be towed and impounded....DOT Legal Helmet Laws get enforced pretty rigidly if caught......;) ThumbUp

You know, every time I hear Someone say They can't stand the Heat of a Helmet, I always think about Desert Racers.....24 hours in massive heat, and when I raced Cars, 4 to 5 hours in 140+ degree heat inside the Car, plus Nomex Fire Suit and Underwear.....open air Motorcycle all day, even with a Full Coverage Helmet, is a "cake walk"...They can be adapted to, and do save Lives......;)

if you only were it to comply with the law ,,, there are many small helmets that are dot approved but cover vary little of your head- open sides etc. ... its a thought
magoo

I also can't stand the heat of the summer, especially when wearing a helmet (which I always wear).

I'm sure my solution won't work for the majority of dedicated riders. :confused:

When it gets into the mid 80s and above, I don't ride! :AGGHH:

I'm inside with my AC on. ;)

Great question, the windshield does prevent some air flow you would normally have w/out a w/s, but it does not totally stop it. I, like you would prefer to ride w/o helmets. I drilled holes in my helmet with little success until I attached this - http://www.westmarine.com/exterior-vents/whitecap--stainless-steel-midget-vent--4594503

It marginally helped capture the air flow and is offered in various sizes at most marine stores. Not perfect, but better than a bare hole. Note: when it is raining it also captures water.

I also can't stand the heat of the summer, especially when wearing a helmet (which I always wear).

I'm sure my solution won't work for the majority of dedicated riders. :confused:

When it gets into the mid 80s and above, I don't ride! :AGGHH:

I'm inside with my AC on. ;)

If I had that mind set I could only drive my bike for about 3 months of the year!!!;)

Rather than drilling holes and converting a DOT helmet into a non-DOT, and possibly illegal, helmet, we went small. I usually wear a half helmet with a bubble shield, but on those 100° days with 85% humidity we have been getting in the summers I have an Akoury AK-1, and Gloria has their AK-88. These are the smallest DOT helmets we could find. They come in black or matte black, wish they were in silver or white as this would reflect the heat better. Gloria is experimenting with making a "shower cap" type of thing that will tightly cover the helmet in thin white vinyl. I wrote to the Akoury folks and they recommended not painting the helmet a lighter color, as some paints may weaken the shell.(The answer I expected due to liability issues) I may paint one anyway with plastic-safe paint.

Ohhh. you are going to look real cute in that.....

Heh,heh...Not actually a shower cap, more like a 2nd skin made of vinyl to cover the helmet.
She made one to fit an old half helmet I had, it fit tight and she put elastic around the bottom so it would stay tucked in between the shell and lining. Wasn't easy to sew, and there weren't any compound curves to make it hard to cover. She is not sure she can or wants to do one of the Akoury lids.

Forgot to link in my other post, so here it is: http://www.akouryhelmets.com/

I hate helmets but wear them where I need to. I certainly would NOT drill holes in any helmet since it will affect the protection level of the helmet. I use a L5 1/2 helmet with a zip out ear and neck protection from cold. They give you much more air. I purchased a Harley 1/2 helmet several years ago but it was cheap and didn't hold up at all.

I hate helmets but wear them where I need to. I certainly would NOT drill holes in any helmet since it will affect the protection level of the helmet. I use a L5 1/2 helmet with a zip out ear and neck protection from cold. They give you much more air. I purchased a Harley 1/2 helmet several years ago but it was cheap and didn't hold up at all.

Ditto on the half-helmet providing much more air flow! I have a Seer half-helmet I bought specifically for hot weather riding. It makes a huge difference! ThumbUp

Several posts concerning the integrity of the helmet after drilling vent holes! How do you suppose the manufacturers get the vent holes/systems in their helmets????
Wonder what difference it makes if the holes are molded in or drilled?

I believe Motorcycle Consumer News did a study on the subject a couple years back testing several different types helmets.Results were that helmets were 10-20% cooler on the head then riding without.
No direct sunlight on the head or skin will make you cooler even riding in the wind which is just more hot air.
Ever see photos of Mexican people,they always wear long sleve,usually white shirts and a sombraro to keep sunlight off them.
Some riders say a dew rag helps.
Interesting post though.

SEER Helmets have vent holes. The interior has a adjustable band like a hard hat. This allows air to circulate through the helmet .
This is the helmet that motor officers use. The cost is almost $300

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Hunter

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Hunter
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png