No Room For Trikes?

Dec 30, 2013
Dandridge, TN.
Purchased new K1600 GTL last year, and shortly after converted it into a trike. Began having problems shifting up from 3 through 6th gears.
Called the dealership to arrange for a service appointment.
We were in the process of making an appointment when I mentioned that it was now a trike, and then the negativeity started.
"You didn't have the 600 mile service done here"
"Trikes are hard on transmissions"
"we don't have room on the shop floor for a BIG TRIKE at this time, I'll call you back when we do."
After that, I figured I better look for another solution, as I didn't think they would call back, and I was right.
More than 30 days passed and still no return call, so I e-mailed the sales department, informed them of the events, and asked if this was their policy toward trikes, hoping to get the attention of management to reach a resolution. E-mail was routed back to shop, and I recieved an excuse of
" I apologize but I let your contact info slip away" and they were willing to set up an appointment starting 2 weeks from that time. That would be 56 days or more from my first request.
I had already resolved the shifting issue weeks ago, and didn't want a mechanic working on my motorcycle that seemed to have an adversion to working on trikes. I told him not to bother with a service appointment, as I would not be having anything to do with their dealership ever again.
So am I suffuring from a trike persecution complex, or justified in my conclusion? :confused:

Keith,
A little of both.
Contact Stephen Larson or John at Blue Moon Cycle in the Atlanta Area. It is further but they will gladly welcome your Business and are highly experienced and capable with BMW Trikes.
Worth the extra effort and time for many reasons ThumbUp

Actually, better to know the old Dealers position up front than to have your Trike sit in their Shop untouched for 56 Days and/or receive a substandard Servicing or Repair.
Your Awesome Ride scares and intimidates them :D

Glad you got it fixed Keith.That really is a sweet looking trike you have there.I saw several pics of it from a ride you went on with Paul Medley.Hopefully you find a dealer who is happy to have your business you can depend on.

Had a somewhat similar problem with a dealer here in xxxxx, well not the dealer but one of their "best" techs.
I needed a switch cluster replaced under warranty. (regional rep approved it and all was fine untill i started getting negativity from the tech.

Weeeeelll we dont have room in the shop for a trike....
Weeeeell our lifts wont hold a trike....
Welllllll.......

You get the message.
I went off.
You got these big "AS" Atv's here and you telling me you "lifts" wont pick up a trike...
and anyway I NEVER heard of a bike that needed to be "picked up" to replace a handlebar cruse cluster"
the service mgr, who I know, and is really kool came over and I told him if his tech has a problem with trikes then I dont want him to touch my bike, Ill take you second best guy.
Now all this time the area honda rep happened to be there, he just watchd untill I got them together.
they wheeled it back and put it on one of those "Lifts" and didnt even raise them...

No problem ever sense.
Its the only "Honda" dealer in town now. but now my trike dealer has a REAL certified Honda Tech onsite for repairs, so you know where Im going now!!!

For every "We don't do Trikes" Shop out there, there is becoming just as many "We Welcome Trikes" Shops......gota' shop around, but They're out there. As Customers and Dollars keep shrinking by the year in this terrible economy, the Shops that don't, may suffer in the future from "We Should Have".....especially since the Trike and Scooter Markets are the fastest growing segments right now.....ThumbUp

Back when dealers were selling bikes as fast as they could order them [03/04?], I had a VTX and I needed a rear tire, Now this is the dealer I bought it from new...
So I asked him I'll order the tire from you' call me when it comes in and you can install it while I hang around, as I don't have anyone to follow me, And then drive me home and back again ... His answer was NO, We're too busy to do stuff while the costumer waits.. My advice to you is to find a designated driver .... Going forward to the Great recession, That dealer had to move to a space 1/3 the size..
Needless to say I went to another dealer who was happy to accommodate me...

Karma; I ran into him at a bike night recently and he asked me how come I don't see you any more? I said with a grin My new dealer will' when I make an appointment do it while I wait.. He comes back with we do that now.. I said yea, Now that your Not riding high on the hog your'' Mister nice guy...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png