Anyone Ever Done an Iron Butt Run via Trike?

lgjhn

200+ Posts
Jun 15, 2013
SW Louisiana
Has anyone here ever used their trike to do any of the beginner Iron Butt runs?
IF so, I'd be interested in hearing about the your experiences.
I'm thinking about doing the 1000 and the 1500 IBA runs together in one swoop sometime this Fall. I used the past Eureka Springs Rally as a kind of long-distance shakedown run for the recent Roadsmith conversion and hopefully have the last of the bugs worked out. I emailed the IBA inquiring about the use of a trike for this. They responded that as long as the trike was originally a 2-wheeler and converted from that, they would honor the IBA runs with it.
On the other hand, I also have that brand new fully-farkled out FJR just sitting there begging to do it, but I'm thinking doing it on a trike would be a cool experience.

Has anyone here ever used their trike to do any of the beginner Iron Butt runs?
IF so, I'd be interested in hearing about the your experiences.
I'm thinking about doing the 1000 and the 1500 IBA runs together in one swoop sometime this Fall. I used the past Eureka Springs Rally as a kind of long-distance shakedown run for the recent Roadsmith conversion and hopefully have the last of the bugs worked out. I emailed the IBA inquiring about the use of a trike for this. They responded that as long as the trike was originally a 2-wheeler and converted from that, they would honor the IBA runs with it.
On the other hand, I also have that brand new fully-farkled out FJR just sitting there begging to do it, but I'm thinking doing it on a trike would be a cool experience.

Larry I came all the way back from Eureka Springs (788 miles) in one leg. I followed the same routine I did back in '05 when I did my Iron Butt rides. Two wheels or three -- didn't see much difference... Enjoy which ever you choose to ride!! :xszpv::xszpv:

I too have been thinking about doing an IBA run. I did ride from Marion, TN to home 897 miles stopping only to fuel and a quick bite. Could have gone more if I had wanted to. Let me know if you decide to do the run. I may could make it with you (I live just north of Alexandria). Are you thinking about doing a loop or an out and back or all in a one way trip? I have thought about doing a ride to Dallas then down to Houston and back to get the 1000 miles and also looked at going up to I20 then East to I59 then South to I10 and then back to I49 and back home.

I too have been thinking about doing an IBA run. Let me know if you decide to do the run. I may could make it with you (I live just north of Alexandria). Are you thinking about doing a loop or an out and back or all in a one way trip? I have thought about doing a ride to Dallas then down to Houston and back to get the 1000 miles and also looked at going up to I20 then East to I59 then South to I10 and then back to I49 and back home.

I've got one potential route already planned & laid out. It's a loop that goes right thru Alex on I-49. It's also long enough to qualify for both the 1000 and the 1500.
The weather is too hot to even think about trying it now, but when the weather cools in the Fall, I'm gonna go for it either on the trike or the FJR.
Let's stay in touch on this and perhaps do it together.

- - - Updated - - -

Larry I came all the way back from Eureka Springs (788 miles) in one leg. I followed the same routine I did back in '05 when I did my Iron Butt rides. Two wheels or three -- didn't see much difference... Enjoy which ever you choose to ride!! :xszpv::xszpv:
10-4 Jerry.
IF I do this, it will be in the Fall.
I'm not even going to think about attempting it in hot weather.
788 miles in one leg just about put you there. Not bad, my friend.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png