Purchasing a Goldwing Trike in the US and returning to Canada

Purchasing a Goldwing Trike in the US and returning to Canada

I cant seem to get over the difference in price on trikes between Canada and the US. Has anyone successfully got one into Canada without alot of red tape?

Re: Purchasing a Goldwing Trike in the US and returning to Canada

Thank you bdrcole. That's what I thought. I still think Canadian authorities/Border needs to lighten up. What happened to Free Trade?

Unless something has changed in the past year, you cannot purchase a Trike in the US and bring it into Canada. The exception seems to be 2009 and newer Harley Davidson "Tri-Glide" motor tricycle (three-wheeled) models.
(i.e, you cannot purchase a Honda Goldwing that has been converted to a Trike.)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section8_0.htm

That makes no sense. Can someone explain the Canadian rationale for that rule?

It makes absolutely no sense at all. For example, I can buy a Goldwing in the US and bring it into Canada and have it registered with motor vehicles. I can buy a trike conversion kit from Motor Trike, CSC, Hannigans, Roadsmith, etc and have it installed on the bike with out any issues from Transport Canada or vehicle licensing. The only option that has to be installed in Canada is a hand/emergency brake which is offered as an option when you order your trike conversion kit from the majority of manufactures.
But, I cannot travel to the US, purchase a Goldwing that has already been converted and import it to Canada.
It is actually unbelievable.

I remember someone on here trying to sell a stallion they bought as wreck and took to Canada before they found out it wasn't allowed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png