New to me Trike Project

Jul 8, 2013
East China Michigan USA
Just wondering if my pics showed up?
1988 Honda Gl1500/ MortorTrike. Bad motor, Have all missing "tupperware" ​Price: $2500.00!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 194
image.jpg After looking at this plug, I took my fiber-optic scope and took a look down into the spark plug hole and saw some kind of damage to the top of the piston. Still not sure what caused this, the timing belts are intact. I suppose I'll have to at least pull the right side cylinder head to see what I actually have.

Interesting. Can't wait to see what you find. I had a plug do that on my car. Came out with smashed porcelain. Never effected the car. Put in a new plug and drove it. I would replace the plugs and try to start it! Does it turn over?
How many miles on the motor ?

once had a dirt bike that lost a chip off the top of the piston above the top ring.. the piece bounced about quite happily on top of the piston for a little while (putting little dents in the piston top, and the head) until it came up under the sparkplug and closed the gap, thus stopping the motor (single cylinder).
if thats physical damage to the spark plug youll need to see what was loose in there, and how much if any other damage its caused.

John, The bike has about 84K on it. I haven't tried to start it. I believe its in neutral but I have it tied down to the trailer, have no one to help me with it, am in a motel parking lot and it's hot as hell down here in Texas! Ive tried to move the motor by trying to turn the cam bolt but it doesn't seem to want to turn. I may try to get at the center cover and try to turn the crank from there this weekend. I've got a 150 question test tomorrow to take and have to study. If I pass this test, more likely than not you're offered a spot in their company. So, here's to a good test score tomorrow!

Last edited:
I did a little snooping around the trike in the 98* sun here in Dallas. Sent a magnet down the suspected cylinder and pulled out a piece of metal. There are more in the cylinder but are bigger than the spark plug hole. I believe it's probably one of the valves. I'll have to remove the head to know for sure. Looks like, at the very least,that I'll need a cylinder head. Maybe a piston also. The next question is what may have caused this. I've heard of belts going bad and crashing the valves into the pistons but the belts are both intact. I'm going to contact the P.O. and see if she can shed some light about what happened to it. So we'll see what she has to say.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know. I won't be able to tear into it until I get back home to Michigan. It's kind of hard working in a parking lot with no shade in 98* temps. So it'll have to wait. I will report back.
Thanks for the replies,
Larry from East China Mi, Temporarily relocated in DFW Texas

Last edited:
Does the timing belt look new (soft Black clean ) ? I betting timing belt change gone bad. Remove all the plugs and send the magnet in . Valves are weaker than pistons. Are the pieces looking like valve pieces. I believe the pistons are aluminium non magnetic .

John, Yep, the piece I was able to pull out with the magnet appeared to be part of a valve. There is another piece that is too large to come up through the spark plug hole (I tried for two hours in the TEXAS HEAT trying to coax it out). It'll just have to wait until I go back to Michigan and can do it in my ouw garage. I'll keep you posted on it. I plan on going to Troupe Texas to the MotorTrike Facility to tour and see if they might look the trike portion over for me to ensure that everything is ok.
Thanks, Larry from East China Mi, temporarily relocated in Dallas Texas

Was looking at the trailer tires after I got the trike back to the hotel almost two weeks ago. Noticed the tires looked a little low. Aired them up according to specs on the side wall. Still looked a little soft. Took a close look at the embossed label and noted that it stated "load range B" 547lbs. max. so last weekend I went and bought 2 "load range C" tires, 749lbs. at 90 psi. Had four spares with me, two were marginal. Took them and installed the new tires. This morning I installed the new wheel/tire assemblies. Just before I set the trailer back on the ground, I gave the whole assembly a spin... could feel and hear rumbling in the bearing. Fortunatly I carry a new hub assembly with me for just such an incident. I keep up on the bearings but the inner assembly had melted, flattened rollers and the cage was partially mangled. Instead of putting the complete hub assembly on, I went to the local Napa store and bought a new bearing, race and seal. Got it put back together, all is smooth and quiet. Just a public service announcment to PLEASE check your bearings occassionally!!

Last edited:
Made it back home last Wed. safe and sound! Been busy catching up on things at home after being away for 3+ weeks! Trailer towed like it should have. No bearing issues.
(Thank Goodness!!) My cousin should be stopping by this week to help diagnose the troubles with the cylinder head. Will report back when I/we find something!
Larry, Back in East China Mi.

HEY, can't a fellow Triker in the Dallas area Help Larry out with a Garage Space and a helping hand to a guy from out of Town, Aren't we all in a Brotherhood, if someone from out of town needed a helping hand up here in Minneapolis, Minnesota, I would open my shop to help them out...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png