Handlebars (wrist angle) again...

Strohkr

100+ Posts
Sep 16, 2010
NORTH DAKOTA
Howdy!!
Okay - I put on a set of HD 2" pullbacks & they're much better than stock but the wrist angle is just plain killing my wrists on long rides. So now what the heck do I do? Spent $800 bucks for the HD's/Installation but I think I'm going to have to change 'em out for something different they're just too darn uncomfortable for me.
But I really need some help with what I should do. I know many of you have some experience with lots of different handlebars and if you can spare some time & thoughts it'd be greatly appreciated.
I'm thinking one of the following:
*Khrome Werks 2+2 sweepers (I understand the wrist angle is much better than the HD pullbacks).
*Wild 1s 12.5" or 14" apes pulled back a bit. I had the 14's on my Road King and loved them but not sure how they'll work on a Tri-Glide (might be too wide for my short arms during turning).
*Heli-Bars - spendy but if they really offer a lot of adjustment it just might be the way to go. No experience with them - never even seen a set in person so I have absolutely no clue how much adjustment they actually offer - also not overly in love with their looks (pics that I've seen) but if they work - I can get over the looks. I understand they'll be in Sturgis this year so I might hafta stop by their booth and check 'em out.
Anyone have any suggestions at all??
Seriously I need some help with this - don't want to make another $800-$1000 mistake!;)
Thanks in advance!!
Greg

For about 5 years I've been looking at the heli bars. This year I had a black set installed at Laconia bike week for $700 on the trike. I like them. Don't even notice the black bars on the black trike. They are super comfortable and slow speed turns are like having power steering. I haven't had to adjust mine as the installer set them up perfectly for me.

I have had Helibars on 2 trikes for the last 5 years. Had them on my HD/Champion 2007 and now on my 2013 Tri-Glide. I to could not ride long because of the sore wrists caused by the bar angle. I tried the stock HD bars on the 13 on a 2k mile ride. Within an hour I was hurting. Had Heli-Bars installed this past October by Larry himself (The owner of Heli-Bars) at the Daytona Biketoberfest. No pain. The 07 was a Road Glide and the 2 in pull backs didn't help that was when I first found Heli-Bars. They are expensive but there is not another bar like them. I to paid around $700 installed. Good luck

I might have a simple solution for you' And at 10 dollars each they're worth a shot'
Cramp busters... I use one on the throttle side and it takes the presser off my wrist. ThumbUp

Delta, can you get a pic with you on the trike to see your hands, maybe looking from up and behind you. The pics of the trike with them is great. Also what is the width of your grips? I hate the slight tweek to the wrist to the outside when they should be straight with your arm.

I have a 2014 TG and I'm thinking about the LA Choppers 10" twin peaks...from what I've read no cable or wire changes needed with them...not to expensive either, about 189.00 for the bars.
Anyone else running these?

I purchased a 2008 RK Motor Trike and the PO had installed 10" ape's (I think Cyclesmith), the role over positioned my hands in an uncomfortable position and I really didn't like the look of them so I replaced them with these http://www.ebay.com/itm/271381073011?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT - they work great! Comfortable and helped a "newby triker" with better control - besides I think they look a lot better too. Over the years I tried many bagger bars (monkey's, klockwerks, CS, etc..) and quality of these bars are par with any of them!

As far as install, this is not a hard job, just a tedious. With your previous HB change I'd bet your wiring was lengthened (if not this is not difficult). I'd get what bar suits your fancy, plan a 2-3 hour date with your favorite girl and replace the bars yourself - it will save you $600 bucks.

BTW, I'm 5'7 (another shortie) - think my arm length is 30" and the fit with these bars is excellent.

@ Kevin - I like the look of the twin peaks as well and was just about to buy them when I came across these.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions - Mac...

Delta, do all of your controls fit properly on the Helibars? Is there any extra room for a drink holder? Since I've never seen them in person I can't quite visualize how everything will fit. I've been really leaning toward the Wild 1's 14" apes (pulled back) but the more I read about the Helibars (haven't found anyone who has them and doesn't like them) the more I think I'm going to order a set because if the adjustments really work as advertised how can you go wrong? Pretty spendy but then what's a comfortable ride worth?!?!:)

Delta, do all of your controls fit properly on the Helibars? Is there any extra room for a drink holder? Since I've never seen them in person I can't quite visualize how everything will fit. I've been really leaning toward the Wild 1's 14" apes (pulled back) but the more I read about the Helibars (haven't found anyone who has them and doesn't like them) the more I think I'm going to order a set because if the adjustments really work as advertised how can you go wrong? Pretty spendy but then what's a comfortable ride worth?!?!:)

My Tri is at the shop having the voltage reg replaced. I should have it tomorrow. I have a drink holder on my bars I wll send you a picture. Ted

Since the Heli Bars use the stock switches, I have a holder with a 20 or 32 oz thermal cup called the "Butler Cup". The 32 oz up will hold a fast food large cup if needed. I have had ice water to stay very cold for a good 5 hours in this cup.

http://www.glassact.com/

My Tri is at the shop having the voltage reg replaced. I should have it tomorrow. I have a drink holder on my bars I wll send you a picture. Ted

Thanks!! Looking forward to seeing them w/the drink holder. 90% sure I'm gonna go with the HeliBars!

I might have a simple solution for you' And at 10 dollars each they're worth a shot'
Cramp busters... I use one on the throttle side and it takes the presser off my wrist. ThumbUp

Are the "Cramp busters" the Thumb blade that you put on the throttle crips??
if not, can you show a pic. of what you are saying.?:Shrug:

Looks like you can get just about everything that you need on the bars. Do you really find them more comfortable than some of the other bars? Let me apologize b/4 I even say this but they don't look as "cool" as the Wild 1 apes but then at my age I think I'm probably past the "cool" stage anyway! Heck I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be riding a trike and here I am!! Wonder what's next! I've kinda gone over to the "dark side" with my trike - more black than chrome. So I think I'll probably order the black set. My very first bike:GL1800: all those years ago was all black - everything - so maybe I'm regressing (lol):laugh:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png