Looking to build a V8 trike from scratch

Jul 11, 2014
Shelby, NC
Hey guys! I'm wanting to build me a v8 trike from scratch. So far, I've picked a Ford 302 with a first gen AOD. I have a Ford 9 inch open diff rear axle. The rest I want to build myself (with the help of some friends, of course).
I'm going to start looking around to see what wealth of information I can discover on the forums. But I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions.

OK, I'll be the first to welcome you. A triker is a triker no matter what they build or ride, right? I don't think you will find a lot of discussion about V8 trikes here. I built my own VW trike and I know it is very rewarding to build what you'll be riding. One suggestion, check with DMV in your state and see what the laws are regarding owner built trikes. Some states are refusing to license them. Anyway, good luck on your project.ThumbUp

Here is what I built a couple of years ago, gets a lot of attention everywhere I go. I started with the subframe from a 97 Lincoln Mark 8 independent rear.

Attachments

• 3n03kd3o55Z55R45S6b961923e891cc1d1927.jpg
    3n03kd3o55Z55R45S6b961923e891cc1d1927.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20130427_074519.jpg
    IMG_20130427_074519.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 294
Hello Big Lee and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. I know you are building a somewhat different trike then what we normally see, but that's great. You might have a little trouble down at the DMV.Some states take a dim view of home made trikes, so check there before you find out you can't put plates on it once you are done. Take a LOTof pictures during your build, with a lot of notes and trial and errors. You will be helping someone else who someday will follow in your footsteps. There are some that have built different styles of trikes here so don't be afraid to ask. Good luck. I would love to see the end product, keep us updated.

Welcome to Trike Talk from The Great Lake State! :wave4:

Good luck with your build, and please post photos as you go along! Would love to follow your progress.

Welcome Big Lee. I too wanted to build my own v8 trike. I got a 350 Chevy a tranny and a ford 9 inch rear end. Then I came across a v8 for sale at a very decent price and bout it instead. I may still build this v8 at a more slower pace later on but I am enjoying this toy. That's what I call my man toys. Good luck on the build and make sure to take lots of pictures and post some of them. You'll really like the v8 when you ride it for the first time. Nothing like the thrill of that first ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png