cruise control issue

Mar 25, 2008
plainville,conn
I had my 94 goldwing triked out last fall with a 2007 motor trike kit. ever since then I have had the ability to to turn ou cruise but when I set it, it will not lock on. its as if I have the brake on or one of the other switches telling it not to lock in. My mechanic is still going thru the schematics. note: I have the coupe lighting package and also the light bar that was offered by motor trike. ever since it was converted, my cruise hasn't worked. has anyone else experienced this? thanks:confused:

Just a shot in the dark....
It seems as though your cruse is being told to disengage.

Does your light bar have running lights/brake lights.
If so it might be that a running light is cross wired to a brake light and electrically telling the cruse to disengage (or in this case NOT to engage) sort of like you hitting the brake.
Try disconnecting the light bar, and the tail lights on the trike kit and see if it works then.

2 cents

I agree with Cjmitch, try the light bar first and if that don't correct the problem then move on to something else in the light/brake line. Process of elimation???
When I got mine, everytime I put on the brakes the fuse would blow for the brake lights, come to find out one of the brake bulb had a small wire out the end that was grounding, so everytime I put on the brakes it was grounding out. Took a long time to find it and several fuses.

Mike, you didn't say if you checked the brake switches. My '97 started doing the same thing and I sprayed the brake light switches with contact cleaner.Also spray the control switches on the handlebar, working the buttons. Between that and the wiring on your lightbar, you should find the problem. Good luck and let us know what you find...:confused:

Attachments

• 7991.jpg
    7991.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 24
Cruise

cowboy

I had the same problem with my 97 SE. I checked all the things that would stop the cruise from being set and they check all checked out. The electrical diaphrams and procedures in the maintance manual will tell you how and where they are. What finally fixed my problem was simply reseating the plug on the control unit under the rear trunk. Once I did that everything worked the way it did for the previous 10 years.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
I had this problem, too. The cruise light would come on, but not the cruise set light. Once before I set it I pulled up on the rear brake pedal, and pushed out on the front brake and clutch levers. That worked. Turned out the bushings were worn on the clutch lever pivot and was holding the lever out just enough to not let the switch close. The switch trips before the clutch fluid starts to be compressed because there is some slack built in, so the clutch worked perfectly. Replaced the bushings, and the cruise control has been working perfectly. Cheap fix, and if you're lucky it may be a coincidence
it happened when the trike kit was installed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png