Sterring problems - maybe

Feb 11, 2011
Clinton, AR, USA
2003 GL1800 with Motortrike - 21,000 miles</SPAN></SPAN>

Will try to explain what I am feeling:</SPAN></SPAN>

It seems the steering has changed. It is getting loose.</SPAN></SPAN>
Steers very easy – too easy. </SPAN></SPAN>

The front tire is a Pilot reversed and has about 18,000 miles. The tread looks very good.</SPAN></SPAN>
I run 42 lbs front and 23 rear.</SPAN></SPAN>

Tried something tonight. Trike on flat and level concrete floor.</SPAN></SPAN>
Steered the front tire lock to lock. When it got close to straight ahead, </SPAN></SPAN>
the handlebars would “snap” to straight ahead. It took extra force to</SPAN></SPAN>
move (steer) from straight ahead. It has never done this before.</SPAN></SPAN>
Don’t remember hitting any pot holes, curbs, etc. I am not an </SPAN></SPAN>
aggressive rider – enjoy seeing the country side. </SPAN></SPAN>

Checked the manual and looked at the steering section. It appears that</SPAN></SPAN>
the adjustment on the steering stem might be loose but I don’t know </SPAN></SPAN>
and it looks like a major deal to adjust that nut plus a special socket.</SPAN></SPAN>

Anybody got any ideas. :xzqxz:</SPAN></SPAN>

Re: Steering problems - maybe

2003 GL1800 with Motortrike - 21,000 miles

Will try to explain what I am feeling:

It seems the steering has changed. It is getting loose.
Steers very easy – too easy.

The front tire is a Pilot reversed and has about 18,000 miles. The tread looks very good.
I run 42 lbs front and 23 rear.

Tried something tonight. Trike on flat and level concrete floor.
Steered the front tire lock to lock. When it got close to straight ahead,
the handlebars would “snap” to straight ahead. It took extra force to
move (steer) from straight ahead. It has never done this before.
Don’t remember hitting any pot holes, curbs, etc. I am not an
aggressive rider – enjoy seeing the country side.

Checked the manual and looked at the steering section. It appears that
the adjustment on the steering stem might be loose but I don’t know
and it looks like a major deal to adjust that nut plus a special socket.

Anybody got any ideas. :xzqxz:

You did not mention having a rake kit installed so I imagine the OEM steering head bearings are still in place and trashed. They don't last long on two wheel GL1800 so the trike conversion has just advanced that destruction. I'm 95% sure that is your problem.

If you plan to install a rake kit now it the time to do that. The kit will come with tapered bearing set. If you do not rake then order a set of "All-Balls" tapered bearings from your favorite vendor and install or have installed. It's not and easy job even with the correct tools but if you do have the tools and ability it can be done in a day.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully you can get fixed and back on the road soon. :xszpv::xszpv:

raked at 4.5 deg. Ok steering bearings. service manual shows tapered bearings.

How often does this problem come up???

thanks for the quick answer.

David Britton

:)

1. Either the bearings are "notched" which is why you are feeling them stop at center.

2. Something has moved such as wiring, brake hoses, etc. that is "catching" the forks (or any part of steering system) near the center position. Since you have a rake kit and presumably tapered bearings, I would suspect this answer is the correct one.

First, get a helper to turn the handlebars for you while you examine closely for whatever might be binding or causing the interference. If you can't find it this way I would jack front end off the ground and try again. With no weight on the front end you should be able to feel anything trying to bind.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png