Solid Axle vs Independent Axle

I remember back in 2011 when my dealer had trike demos. DFT had just brought out their Harley TG replacement IRS. Cost at that time was estimated at $5000. Just to replace the rear end. That's when I said it's not worth it to me.

Even $1000 is too much for me. I'm a cheap bastard. :)

I remember back in 2011 when my dealer had trike demos. DFT had just brought out their Harley TG replacement IRS. Cost at that time was estimated at $5000. Just to replace the rear end. That's when I said it's not worth it to me.

Even $1000 is too much for me. I'm a cheap bastard. :)

HAHAHAHAH!!!!!
Yeah, I'd like to do it and see how the old Tri-Glide handles with IRS. But I guess the DFT conversion is over $6k now!! That's NUTS! I kinda wish the MoCo would have offered an IRS option - I might have done that. I suppose the solid is a lot cheaper & easier to manufacture and the good ole MoCo is all about the $$$$ these days.:)

The co rider can tell the difference more than the rider. My wife on the back of a Champion and a Motor trike ( both straight axel ) winches every time we hit a bridge separation or pot hole. I hear ugh come from the rear seat. With my DFT she usually sleeps on long trips.
The DFT I have now is 14 years old. I guess I should replace all the. Worn parts. I have only greased it 2 times since I owned it. Never had one problem with it.
Cornering is the only problem I get a headache from Honey banging me on the helmet and yelling slow down. ( that's why when she sleeps it is good times roll )
Roads up here ( and the people that attended the NE TT rally this year can attest to this ) are anything but smooth. When the roads get rough the I R is what to have.
Also going with a kit over the Tri Glide is u get to choose a body style. It is your $$$$$ so it is your choice. No one can do that for you. Big key lower your rear tire pressure to 24 lb max. I like 22 but them me and Honey tip the scales at 270lb total.

The co rider can tell the difference more than the rider. My wife on the back of a Champion and a Motor trike ( both straight axel ) winches every time we hit a bridge separation or pot hole. I hear ugh come from the rear seat. With my DFT she usually sleeps on long trips.
The DFT I have now is 14 years old. I guess I should replace all the. Worn parts. I have only greased it 2 times since I owned it. Never had one problem with it.
Cornering is the only problem I get a headache from Honey banging me on the helmet and yelling slow down. ( that's why when she sleeps it is good times roll )
Roads up here ( and the people that attended the NE TT rally this year can attest to this ) are anything but smooth. When the roads get rough the I R is what to have.
Also going with a kit over the Tri Glide is u get to choose a body style. It is your $$$$$ so it is your choice. No one can do that for you. Big key lower your rear tire pressure to 24 lb max. I like 22 but them me and Honey tip the scales at 270lb total.

I was hearing them same noises with my Gal on the back when driving the straight axle bike!! :D

Well I just bought a 2014 Tri Glide with 3700 miles on it black in color , has a lot of extras put I also own a 2007 Ultra Classic with a Hannigan trike added , I was extremely impressed with the solid axle on the tri glide , will be riding the Tri Glide in Florida , for the winter. :pepper::pepper::pepper:

I tried them both and prefer the solid axle.

When hitting an expansion joint it is the same whether it's a solid axle or a IRS. Only difference is when an obstacle is hit one wheel at a time. That's the whole idea of IRS only one wheel is effected when hitting an obstacle and not both = not as much jarring.

No difference on smooth roads which is where I spend 95% of the time.

Proven it to who?

Nobody is disagreeing about the IRS being smoother then a solid axle. What I'm saying is it's not worth $5000 more

Comparing apples to apples
Lehman base price for straight axle kit for GW = $8,545
Lehman base price for IRS kit for GW = $8745

Champion SA base = $7245
Champion IRS, add $1,000=$8245
Prices copied from each companies web sight.

Just wondering where you got $5K difference from?

I tried them both and prefer the solid axle.

When hitting an expansion joint it is the same whether it's a solid axle or a IRS. Only difference is when an obstacle is hit one wheel at a time. That's the whole idea of IRS only one wheel is effected when hitting an obstacle and not both = not as much jarring.

No difference on smooth roads which is where I spend 95% of the time.
+1 ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png