Help DK Custom Products Build a Trike

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
In 2015, Devin and I are planning on building a Trike.

When we start, we will begin a build thread and post pictures and comments as it is being built.

But for right now, we would like to hear your ideas on what you think would make a good looking, good riding, and fun Trike.

The donor bike has not even been decided on yet, (other than it will be a Harley) so the doors are wide open for any, and all, ideas!

Please share any ideas, thoughts, pictures on what you think would make a great trike!

TIA

Kevin

Or you could do something minimalistic, like a a custom Sporty or Dyna since you like the Sportys and you make so many accessories for those. Make it light and quick and raked out. I have some ideas in mind I will share with you via PM.

I agree with 'Zook, a minimalist trike would be great. Maybe start with a Dyna or Softail? Either platform would be a great trike. I've been kicking around the idea of a Sportster trike for about a year, now. That would be a fun, relatively inexpensive build for us to follow, also.

Great idea, and thanks for including us!

:D Definetly a minilist build. Softail with DNA components. That is what a guy would do in his garage. That is the low cost way to go. The more expensive one are just done at a shop anyway so who cares.

Thanks for the input so far, please keep it coming...pics too!

I'm torn between doing a Sporty for reasons listed, but also would like to use the softail as a donor because I think it would be a smoother ride, plus have the larger power plant...then there is the fact that we have a Dyna with a good engine that's been sitting at the shop for 6 months now, just waiting for us to do something with it.

Cool pics RcSuD, both are going into the file for ideas!

Kevin

I would choose a Dyna over the SoftTail only if the new rear suspension used the SoftTail shock set up. In other words its easy to adjust shocks on a Dyna vs the SoftTail.
If a RK or similar bike were available I would choose that.
At any rate keep it lean and clean.

I would choose a Dyna over the SoftTail only if the new rear suspension used the SoftTail shock set up. In other words its easy to adjust shocks on a Dyna vs the SoftTail.
If a RK or similar bike were available I would choose that.
At any rate keep it lean and clean.

Hey icebite1,

Thanks for chiming in...can I pick your brain a bit?

What would you think about a Softail with a shotgun shock type set up that allows for on the fly adjustment with the onboard compressor?

Why a touring (RK) instead of the others?

TIA

Kevin

Hi Kevin.
I think you saw my Dyna trike setup when you were here, its comfortable and handles great.
I mentioned a RoadKing because I think it would be a more comfortable setup than the Dyna BUT if you go with air adj shocks like you mention then a SoftTail with floorboards gets my vote.
Im actually starting a RK trike conversion in January and pretty sure im going to Frankenstein it. Have you picked a rearend yet?

Yup, a Road Glide. IRS and make it look like it came off the Ultra line instead of the Street Glide / old Road King Custom line. Trimmed fenders and good looking paint / pinstripes. Maybe a metal tank badge, crate 124 or similar, and a Baker reverse. Painted inner faring with a vented windshield.

Sounds boring I know, but it gives me a chub-rock...

Kevin, you might try something like this For something different.
:
TiltsterAnimated.gif

:http://www.mysterydesigns.com/tiltster.php

TiltFLH.jpg

I would like to see a sporty with smaller wheels, not the huge ones you see on all other trikes. Almost like the ones on the Tow-Pac bolt on kit. I never liked the huge rear wheels. Keep the rear end a little high. I(we) TG owners are installing lift kits to keep the mufflers from scraping in dips and backing against concrete stops. I'm guilty of that last one. :D

Handle bars just a little higher and pulled back - - a little - maybe 1" in both directions - 2"max.

Floor boards a little farther away from engine.

Keep rear fenders closer to the wheels and not sticking way out back past the trunk. Looks nice but oh the body work required when backing up while not paying attention.

Definitely spinner hub caps. ThumbUp

What would you think about a Softail with a shotgun shock type set up that allows for on the fly adjustment with the onboard compressor?

I don't know if you have ever used the SAS system by Custom Cycle Control Systems, similar to the Shotgun Shock, but I have it on my FXSTS & it rides & works great. I think it would be great on a triked softail, great price & all in one unit.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png