First Trike

Jan 5, 2010
Sacramento
Ridnagn here. Our first trike, a 2008 GoldWing Champion w/120 miles on it.
We started looking for trikes last November in Northern California.
We wanted to see what was out there for a used price. First up was a 1986 1200 asking 10000. He gave us each a ride on it . I didn't like it and neither did wife Kathy . Next a 1999 1500 w/ 59000. Asking 17999. I thought it wasn't too bad, a little rough riding. Kathy didn't like the way she sat and if she doesn't like it that's all I need to hear. After thinking about it we decide to focus on GL1800 only.

We located a Trike conversion company called Freedom Rides in Lincoln, Ca.
They were pleased to let us test ride their trikes on the showroom. They had a 2009 GW Champion w/IRS, dark blue w/ 650m. It rode beautiful. Asking 36000.
They had a 2008 GW Champion w/ air shocks that was on consignment and not ready for a ride. Asking 29800. 120 miles on it.
We spent the next few weeks looking through Craigs List as far away as Arizona and Oregon finding Gold Wing trikes 2002 through 2006 for 22000 to 26000. Emailing . Calling and talking about it.

Went out for a ride one day on my 2 wheeler and dropped by Freedom Rides to ask a few more questions about the Champion vs California Side Car kits. While there the staff let me know the 2008 GW was ready and Kathy and I could come by and test drive that . About a week later we did just that, driving the 2009 IRS and the 2008 solid back to back to get a good feel for it. The ride quality was very close w/ the IRS edging over the solid but really not a must have. Right before Christmas I gave an offer and they countered. We accepted and just before the New Year we took possesion. Here it is.
ridnagn-albums-gwtrike-picture2341-project9141-012.jpg

I know I'll find this forum helpful. Ridnagn

Last edited:
Welcome aboard ridnagn nice choice and it sounds like you got a good deal. Very pretty and you might as well say it is new. Heck the brake disc are not even scored at that mileage. I can see alot of fun in your future. CONGRATS

Welcome to Trike Talk! Nice looking ride! Check out the "experienced riders" thread in the General Forum. There's lots of good info all over the place here, but I found that thread particularly informative. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my kit from Trike Shop so I'm a "newby" too. The Roadsmith kit (built by Trike Shop) is in route, but still 4 days away. I should be riding again before the weekend is over -- I HOPE!

NM

Way to do your research!!!! What a beauty you got .... you two are going to love that trike and all the fun you have on it. Welcome to TrikeTalk, we are delighted you found us!

Welcome to the board,,, U guys did it the right way. If U read some of the post on here everyone stresses to ride as many different trikes as u can.. so U can find the one that suits you and ur co-rider... Also not being in a big hurry helps... Great looking ride... It will take a little getting used to but it will only get better....

Enjoy and ride safe.

Welcome aboard ridnagn nice choice and it sounds like you got a good deal. Very pretty and you might as well say it is new. Heck the brake disc are not even scored at that mileage. I can see alot of fun in your future. CONGRATS

Appreciate the welcome and working on my post count.
Most important is Kathy says she is very secure in the back seat of the GW. And she was on board with the price once she had a little time to reconcile the fact low miles , current model , very fresh. Heck it even has $2000.00 worth of Kury chrome and accessories and $500.00 Cobra pipes.

Welcome to Trike Talk! Nice looking ride! Check out the "experienced riders" thread in the General Forum. There's lots of good info all over the place here, but I found that thread particularly informative. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my kit from Trike Shop so I'm a "newby" too. The Roadsmith kit (built by Trike Shop) is in route, but still 4 days away. I should be riding again before the weekend is over -- I HOPE!

NM
thank you for the welcome. I'll have to go check out that thread you reference. Hard to sit still waiting, yes?
ridnagn

Way to do your research!!!! What a beauty you got .... you two are going to love that trike and all the fun you have on it. Welcome to TrikeTalk, we are delighted you found us!
Thank You friend. Smokin Joe posted a link from another forum that pointed to here so :goodjob: to Smokin and a shout out.

Ridnagn

Welcome to the board,,, U guys did it the right way. If U read some of the post on here everyone stresses to ride as many different trikes as u can.. so U can find the one that suits you and ur co-rider... Also not being in a big hurry helps... Great looking ride... It will take a little getting used to but it will only get better....

Enjoy and ride safe.
Yes Thank You. We looked at only 4 trikes, probably 3 more than most look at. What kathy likes is the built in intercom, The stock seat is very comphy for us so far ,we were on it for 6 hours the other day and no discomfort.

Ridnagn

Great looking ride ,and the trunk is good size too. I ride a 2002 Champion a few 100 miles every year just to keep the tires round. Widow of my best friend won't let go of it, so we are trying to teach her to get her endorsement . Until then I ride it when I get a chance .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back