front forks?

I recently bought a used homemade VW Trike. It is titled as an '84 Virag, and that is based on the vin on the neck. The title does not say what size the Virago was and I don't think the previous owner is honest enough to bother asking. It looks a bit lighter than I would like. I asked a local reputable independent shop about changing to heavier forks and was told that it would have to be measured and then miced for bearing size ect. It's my only transportation and I'm on a disability budget. The shop time and cost to do it doesn't fit. Is there a simpler way to determine what other front forks (triple tree ect.) could be swapped out? Something in the weight class of a Nomad or Venture .
Thanks for your time.

Not sure your exact concern but, have you ridden it to determine if the current forks are not right?
Not too costly to find another front end, but why spend the money if you don't have to...

Apparently they were made with engine of sizes 500cc, 750cc, 1000cc, 1100cc. Measure the diameter of the tubes and you can find on the internet which front end you have. My trike has a front end from an 850cc Suzuki and it has held up fine. I think it would also depend on how much weight is on the front end. Most VW trikes tend to have more weight transferred to the rear because the running gear is in the back. Post some pictures so we can see what you got.ThumbUp

Well I'm tired of trying. I've tried to get a picture of the front of my trike added here, but I'm technologically stupid and can't seem to pull it off. But it's homemade from about 2 1/2 pipe that I figure is probably sch 40. Front of the front tire to back of the rear tire is 11.5ft. I figure it is a fairly heavy trike .
Thanks for your time

I think you have to have so many post before you can post pics. If you want to email it to me and I can post it, let me know and I will PM you my email address.

I had a trike that was made with an 82 750 virago. It rode great. The one I just finished has a front end off an 85 Kawasaki 1100. the difference was 1 mm on the size of the front tubes. 38mm now.

Hi memetriker. Do you know if the Virago triple tree was the same size as the Kawasaki? Would they be interchangeable? I have a Kawasaki front end, size unknown, with 7/8 handlebars and an 18" front wheel that just looks heavier, and it's complete.
Thanks for your time.

Just find someone with a good dial indicator and have them measure the tubes. Most NAPA stores should have one and will do it for free. Mine is a 33 mm so I think your safe with what you have. Just make sure the neck is mounted safely and strong.

bbb.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png