Ok I am a convert (sorry its a long post)

WindyOne

500+ Posts
Dec 3, 2009
Va.
The weather today was really terrific. I hadn't seen so many bikes out on the road since the middle of December. The temps were in the high 50's and sunny. I took my 2 wheeler into the dealership for a pre-arranged appraisal and test ride on a FLHTCUTG they had in stock.

I was given some instructions on the controls then I took some test laps around the parking lot to get somewhat use to the steering and handling. Once I thought I had it under control I headed out on the open road. The first quarter mile was scary until I got use to the steering at higher than parking lot speeds. The trike wandered from side to side until I learned how to put some weight on the handlebars to control the steering. By the time I got halfway down the road things began to smooth out and from there on out it was smooth sailing.

For the first time since I started riding (7months) I didn't have to run a list of things I needed to be aware of in my mind as I rode. I simply enjoyed the drive and relaxed, not something I had been able to do on 2 wheels. Being a novice rider I didn't have enough saddle time to have confidence in my ability. I tended to over think everything I had to do to ride. Being on a trike was a totally new experience.

The shifting was smooth and I don't remember any bumps so that says something for the suspension. Stopping at a light was a joy. No worries about weight distribution as I came to a stop. I didn't have to think about which foot to put down and to prepare to balance the bike.

Slow sharp turns always worried me on a 2 wheeler but not with this trike. I caught myself trying to lean as I turned and laughed to myself that those days were over. Pulling up to a stoplight and making a U turn was as easy as pie.

I tried not to smile too much when I returned to the dealership, trying to keep a game face on. I probably didn't pull that off to well as I was so exuberant from the ride. I got a good price on my bike for the trade which helped me decide. The end number looked good and I felt the dealer made an effort to give me a good price.

The trike color I wanted wasn't in stock and I am content to wait until it arrives. I left my 2 wheeler at the dealership I wasn't interested in riding it home just to store it for a month or so. The test drive left a lasting impression on me. I now understand the euphoria people on this forum have about their trikes. I'll be glad to have mine when I can.

On a side note- I had searched, e mailed, spoke with a number of shops, dealerships in nearby states attempting to negotiate a deal. I had some near success and some not so near. My local dealer changed his OTD price and that clinched the deal for me. Had he not done that I would have gone 3 hours away for a deal. I really wanted to buy locally as that keeps people here employed. I think I will get better service by buying locally ( I hope). I know I feel better about buying locally and that is important to me. The moral is to look at every possibility before making a decision. I wouldn't have done that without the urging of several posters here. Thank you for your incentive.

I am sorry if this post got so long winded. It was just such a good experience today I wanted to share it all with you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Last edited:
I love it! Thanks for sharing your great experience with us :D. It is such fun to see the newbies get the feel of the trike. Just reading about your excitement, I can imagine the grin on your face and the sparkle in your eyes.......makes me grin too! Congratulations on the good deal and especially for the new trike!

Great read I read it all and enjoyed every word. i hope this is an insperation to other out there that are on the fence ( some sitting on it a long time ) to jump off and on to a trike

windyone,
I am picking up my first trike next weekend, and want to thank you for your post. I found it entertaining, instructive and very well said. I have no choice but to get on a trike if I want to continue riding, but have been very concerned about the success of the move. You have done a lot to belay those concerns.
With your permission I would like to print your post to show a couple of friends that are watching my foray on to three wheels. Although I have promised them a chance to ride mine, after I get comfortable enough to give them some instruction, I think they would benefit a lot from your post.
Thanks again for your insight.

Windyone, you sound like me! I just completed the conversion on my '06 Ultra Classic with a Roadsmith kit. Don't tell 'Pest, but I'm in love again!! Though I don't think she'd be that jealous of my love affair with "Ms Boudica". I think she's almost as "goofy" over Boudica's new incarnation as a trike as I am. Read her (Lil' Pest) "Co-Pilot's report" in the General area & check her album for pix of the build.

NM

windyone,
I am picking up my first trike next weekend, and want to thank you for your post. I found it entertaining, instructive and very well said. I have no choice but to get on a trike if I want to continue riding, but have been very concerned about the success of the move. You have done a lot to belay those concerns.
With your permission I would like to print your post to show a couple of friends that are watching my foray on to three wheels. Although I have promised them a chance to ride mine, after I get comfortable enough to give them some instruction, I think they would benefit a lot from your post.
Thanks again for your insight.

Certainly you have my permission I am honored that my post would help you and your friends. Congratulations on your purchase. I know that when you get it and finish the parking lot laps you will know your decision was the right one.
Good Luck and safe travels.

Windyone, you sound like me! I just completed the conversion on my '06 Ultra Classic with a Roadsmith kit. Don't tell 'Pest, but I'm in love again!! Though I don't think she'd be that jealous of my love affair with "Ms Boudica". I think she's almost as "goofy" over Boudica's new incarnation as a trike as I am. Read her (Lil' Pest) "Co-Pilot's report" in the General area & check her album for pix of the build.

NM

Nauga it was you and Lil Pest I was thinking about as I made my 3rd turn and the fun really began to settle in. Your build post had been on my mind but I knew I couldn't do a build myself. My wife thinks I am way off course buying a trike at this cost. She may never understand, but I can't help that. We are only here for a short time and I want to enjoy what's left. Thanks for your build post it helped me decide.

Thanks WindyOne................Now I have a little better idea of what to look forward to. Sounds exciting and rewarding.
I want to keep going to the paint shop to see how she's coming along.............but I wont. Not till they call. ;)

Joe I have been reading your build post with interest. Did you decide how to handle flaring the fenders?

Well, 'Pest & I have been blamed for spreading addictions like this before. We don't mind one bit! :no: Glad we are guilty of "hooking" you on trikes!! :yes:

NM

Man, I love the first ride stories- helps me remember back when. We have had a trike for around 18 years now, and even though every ride is an event in itself, there is something special about the first time. Welcome to to the forum, and thanks for the memories.

Yes INDEED!

Welcome to the forum with your NEW ride. You must be a very perceptual person because of the way you described your ride in the parking lot. You were sensing things I don't even have the brain power to notice. Let alone remember the feeling and writing it down in prose describing the experience. Good on you, mate. This is a great forum with good people, great insight, and YEARS compiled in experience.

Ride on and be safe.

Oldveteran :Trike1:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png