Didn't think i could do it

Oct 19, 2011
GLEN ELLYN, IL. USA
Well, this weekend I did something I didn't think I could do. I lifted the right wheel a foot off the ground. :AGGHH:
I was sure I was going to tip over. Never came close to lifting a wheel before.

Some old f%$#@ idiot pulled out right in front of me on a major thoroughfare - all I thought of doing (involuntarily) was jerk the bars to the left. Scared the bejesus out of me. When the wheel finally came down and I stopped to look back - ready to kill, the moron was making a U-turn.
There was no warning at all - just one second no car - next second = car.
Old people that can barely see thru the steering wheel should be forbidden to drive.

That's what I get for riding in the right lane. I usually try to stay in a middle lane as much as possible.

Well, this weekend I did something I didn't think I could do. I lifted the right wheel a foot off the ground. :AGGHH:

Some old f%$#@ idiot pulled out right in front of me on a major thoroughfare - all I thought of doing (involuntarily) was jerk the bars to the left. Scared the bejesus out of me. When the wheel finally came down and I stopped to look back - ready to kill, the moron was making a U-turn.
Old people that can barely see thru the steering wheel should be forbidden to drive.

That's what I get for riding in the right lane. I usually try to stay in a middle lane as much as possible.

wasn't it just a blast to be up on 2 wheels:Trike1:, I did it on the first ride of my TG, the test ride!:D I did it on purpose, I wanted to see just how stable the TG was and was I surprised, I really had to work hard to get it up on 2, what a great trike.:cool: Glad you made it thru your 2 wheel ride OK, you probably didn't think it was fun at the time. ;)

Raised a rear wheel turning a corner in Joplin this past summer. Was a bit of a surprise, I didn't think I was carrying that much speed. I once had a sidecar on the Harley, and used to like loft the chair once in a while. When a wheel comes up, 3 wheel rules turn into 2 wheel rules, and that sudden change in the physics of riding can be scary. Tried to do it on purpose, and was glad to find it is pretty hard to lift a wheel. The usual response is to back off the throttle, and with the reduced power the wheel will naturally go back to ground.

Happy to hear you were able to avoid the errant cager.

I find lifting one of the rear tires to be a bit fun...at Slow speed. I don't think I've ever done it faster than 30 mph or so, and have no desire to.

I have some fun, mostly at slower speeds 10-20, and for some reason I like right turns better. It goes so far (about a foot) and then stops, unless you really work at making it go higher, which I have no desire to do.

Kevin

If you lift a wheel high enough on a trike will it trip the Tip over switch [bank angle sensor ]?? Then the trike will drop down on all 3 wheels, I know the spyders have something similar to that..

- - - Updated - - -

If you lift a wheel high enough on a Harely trike will it trip the Tip over switch [bank angle sensor ]?? Then the trike will drop down on all 3 wheels, I know the spyders have something similar to that..

Glad your ok,
Before I go on a ride I remind myself their is some dumb ass out there that's going to try and kill me today. to bad but that's the way it is.

DTR 11TG, you're right, I didn't think it was fun, but at least now I can make fun of it. ThumbUp

Screwball, not a problem. Walking around the dealership trying to explain the wet spot in the front of my jeans was entertaining. We all had a laugh.
I too have had many drivers pull out in front of me and I'm always prepared, but when it is that sudden, close and with no warning, it's hard to prepare for that ------- unless you ride 5 mph.

cavie, you're absolutely right. I said that to everyone. I don't think I'd be here if I was on 2 wheels.

Ozarkryder, I also did fast turns to see if I can lift a wheel, but as hard as I try I haven't been able to.

Rhino 2, I don't even know if they put the TOS on a trike. I thought I read someplace they left it off on TG's.

Iboos, like the old saying, "Ride like you're invisible"

Thanks all.

good to hear your OK, I tried to do it a few times when I was by myself but did not get the wheel to come off the ground and then we were on a ride on the Blue Ridge and run in a curve a little to hot with the wife on the back, the left tire started squeeling and when the right tire came back down it let out a loud squeel and when we got to the service station they had to rock me to break the suction but then I realized how stable the trike is and I feel more comfortable on the trike that I ever have.

If you lift a wheel high enough on a Harely ...

Harely, is that the same company that makes the Hunde or the Yamahumer or the Kawasucki??:D:pepper::clapping:

and know the serious stuff

Does anyone know if the bank angle sensor can be by-passed & removed? I can't help but wonder if mine is stuck because I have done some stuff that should have set it off, but I sure don't want it to suddenly stick in the wrong position! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the main reason for it is for accidents.

good to hear your OK, I tried to do it a few times when I was by myself but did not get the wheel to come off the ground and then we were on a ride on the Blue Ridge and run in a curve a little to hot with the wife on the back, the left tire started squeeling and when the right tire came back down it let out a loud squeel and when we got to the service station they had to rock me to break the suction but then I realized how stable the trike is and I feel more comfortable on the trike that I ever have.

I know what you mean. :)

I did the Skyline drive/BRP/Cherohala Skyway the last 2 years. This year I did something different. I join the tail end of a bunch of rice rockets to see how the TG would hold up. Amazingly I stayed with them for about 7 miles. Very invigorating to say the least, but still no wheel lift. :AGGHH:

My 11 T/G Has the bank angle sensor, Mounted to the rear adapter plate on the rear fork..

Part # 32495-98.. Don't know how high you have to go to set it off??
With a spyder I had' only a few inches would set it off, Most spyder owners call it,

''The Nanny''....

Harely, is that the same company that makes the Hunde or the Yamahumer or the Kawasucki??:D:pepper::clapping:

and know the serious stuff

Does anyone know if the bank angle sensor can be by-passed & removed? I can't help but wonder if mine is stuck because I have done some stuff that should have set it off, but I sure don't want it to suddenly stick in the wrong position! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the main reason for it is for accidents.

The bank angle sensor on a Triglide is not easily set off, it is setup different than on a 2 wheeler. You really have to rock the living heck out of it to set off the alarm if so equipped.

Not to hijack the thread, our GW has the bank angle sensor still working, but when did HD add one? Is it a legal requirement? My 1990 HD FLHS would run upside down if you could keep gas & oil flowing.

Not to hijack the thread, our GW has the bank angle sensor still working, but when did HD add one? Is it a legal requirement? My 1990 HD FLHS would run upside down if you could keep gas & oil flowing.

It looks like 1999 is the 1st year of the bank angle switch.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneRider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneRider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png