2013 TriGlide Clutch Question

Apr 14, 2013
North Carolina
I purchased a Ultra Limited and a TriGlide about a year ago. My Limited has zero issues regarding the clutch. My TG has a couple of things that has me scratching my head.

FIRST ISSUE: Coming to a stop with the clutch pulled in and downshifting to 1st gear it gets to second gear and stops. At this point the only way to go down further is to slightly let the clutch out then pull the clutch in then all is good, goes into 1st fine. In an afternoon of riding it may happen 2 or 3 times.
SECOND ISSUE: During a cold start, bike in neutral & clutch pulled in, press the start switch, bike starts and lunges forward. Once bike is warmed up this lunge is not as aggressive as when cold. Occasionally during a ride after bike is warm, bike will want to walk with clutch pulled in if on level ground.

I am sorry that it took so long to get to the question. Do you think these two issues are related and could it be an adjustment problem? I have had it back to the dealer several times with no or very little improvement. Personnel changes so fast in the service dept. the same guy has never worked on it twice.
Thanks you in advance and have a great evening!

Well I'm no expert, but I do have a 2013 TG and I don't have those issues. it may be just an adjustment needed :Shrug:

Issue one does sound like an adjustment problem. And issue 2 could be also. Have the clutch adjust according to the spec in the service manual. I have my 13 TRI spot on and it shifts very smooth. The start up issue can also be the natural process of the clutch plates sticking together when the oil is cold. The out of adjustment just makes it worse. Good luck

Couple of questions for you Jimmy. What lubricant are you using in the Primary? Please define "lunges". Does it move an inch a foot or just kinda rock in place?

Issue one and two are related, should be able to remedy with a proper clutch adjustment. If the dealer is having large turnover in the service department I'd find another dealer if one is close enough.

Sounds like the pressure plates aren't releasing all the way [sticking] Clutch adjustment is needed, Or an out side chance a warped plate.. But I would put my money its an adjustment problem..

Couple of questions for you Jimmy. What lubricant are you using in the Primary? Please define "lunges". Does it move an inch a foot or just kinda rock in place?

Bel-Ray in transmission & Formula Plus in the primary. Lunge=With clutch in, the TG will pull across a level surface. Primarily will do it on the first start-up when cold but will also sporadically do it at different stops, like sitting at a stop light with bike in 1st and clutch pulled in.

Bel-Ray in transmission & Formula Plus in the primary. Lunge=With clutch in, the TG will pull across a level surface. Primarily will do it on the first start-up when cold but will also sporadically do it at different stops, like sitting at a stop light with bike in 1st and clutch pulled in.

Then I'm going to agree with M3 and all the others, find someone who knows how to adjust the clutch properly. Reason I asked about the fluids is my 12 will kinda rock in place on a cold start, but it doesn't move and I'm running Formula+ mixed with ATF and a Barnett clutch. When I had the 1000 mile service done some idiot put Syn3 in my Primary and it would move about 3-4 inches on a cold start then. Didn't take long to get that sorted out.

Had a 13 Road King doing this and 1st gear was almost impossible to find...my indy adjusted the clutch at the primary...took it for a ride and then did a small adjustment on the cable...I never had another problem with the clutch for 25k miles...

I agree with most here, find some one who knows how to adjust the clutch the right way, and I would go to another dealer for sure, good luck.

Have an appointment with another dealer this morning. Hopefully I'll post a successful visit later today.

Thanks everyone for all your comments!
Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png