Caddy Northstar trike?

Aug 17, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
Hi. I am considering a trike build, and one of the possibilities for a power train is a Cadillac Northstar engine and trans axle transmission. I am leaning toward a mid-engine mount chassis, and the Caddy trans axle lends itself to that, I think. I haven't done a mock-up yet, but I expect that the mid engine mount will distribute the weight more or less evenly between the 3 wheels. One downside, is that the engine/tranny weigh in at just over 700#, but the near 300 horsepower should compensate for that. :D
Is this a sensible project? This will be my first trike, and while I am confident that I have the skill set to build it, am I overlooking something? Is 300 hp too much? Is the thing going to end up being too heavy? I am looking for knowledgeable input, hopefully from folks that have built and ridden their own trikes.

I greatly appreciate any insight you might have.
OBTW, the other possibility is a Subaru Outback donor.

The flat four, and front wheel drive are almost perfect for a mid-engine mount, and weight 250# less than the Northstar, but I am getting seduced by the prospect of all that power!:pepper:

Glen

Ok, so in the absence of negative opinions (or positive ones, for that matter), I have taken the plunge and purchased a donor Caddy. I bought a '96 Deville, for $500. It has 250,000 kms on it, and for all I know, it may be pooched, but it runs, and it is 20 miles from home. I plan to go pick it up, and drive it home tomorrow. I figure that if all the use I get from it is to get started building my frame, I am not out much. My first objective is to get the engine/tranny/sub-frame out on the shop floor, so I can do a mock-up and get an idea if my concept is solid. I hope I can manage that much in the next couple of weeks. I don't currently have a shop manual for it, but I assume I can get it apart without too much trouble. A new project is born! Woohoo!!

Good luck on your build, mid engine in my opinion is the most practical design, be sure to keep the wiring in tacked as much as possible, keep donor car until the project is near complete, write car model and serial number on computer, this helps a lot later when you need parts. In my opinion it is better to trash factory struts and build your suspension. You can find a couple examples on my profile. Cheers, caveman 50

Also you will probably need to include your neutral position switch in your wiring, on my reaper trike I hid the switch and operate it manually, if switch is off fuel and ignition are inoperative. Air ride suspension on all three wheels works great for me. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Cheers, caveman 50

Thanks, Lucky.
Caveman50, I have spent considerable time studying your Reaper already! In fact, it was a little bit inspirational, in that when I first started researching home built trikes, my intention was to build one using my 1996 Subaru Outback Legacy for a donor car. I googled "Subaru trike", and up popped The Reaper. I spent many hours on the net reading, and in my shop measuring, working on a concept drawing. Turns out that the Subie engine/tranny makes a really nice tidy mid-engine package. The resulting concept drawing revealed that you can end up with a trike which doesn't need to be any longer than 9' overall length, and about 36" high (one of my objectives is to make the trike as compact as possible).

Then I got to thinking...what are the dimensions of a Northstar? Turns out they are surprisingly similar to those of the Subie. The distance from front axle to the front of the engine are Subie-22", Caddy-24".

Width, Subie-32", Caddy-34".

Ground to top of engine, Subie-34", Caddy-34".

(All measurements are approximate...). But the Caddy Northstar has 300 horsepower!

I have just been looking at The Reaper again, and I do like your suspension! I have read lots and lots of build threads/blogs/articles, and most opt for the easy way out and use the donor car sub-frame and suspension, aka "the easy way out". I haven't decided yet (because I don't have to) but trust me, I am familiar with yours, and something similar is definitely a possibility. I appreciate your offer for advice, and I hope you meant it, because I intend to take you up on it!
Glen

Registration.

I have built a trike. With a425 caddy engine and front wheel drive power train in the rear of the trike. Was wondering how you made out with the Manitoba safety(I am in southern Manitoba also). Been to the inspector once but more to come. Thanks
Thanks, Lucky.
Caveman50, I have spent considerable time studying your Reaper already! In fact, it was a little bit inspirational, in that when I first started researching home built trikes, my intention was to build one using my 1996 Subaru Outback Legacy for a donor car. I googled "Subaru trike", and up popped The Reaper. I spent many hours on the net reading, and in my shop measuring, working on a concept drawing. Turns out that the Subie engine/tranny makes a really nice tidy mid-engine package. The resulting concept drawing revealed that you can end up with a trike which doesn't need to be any longer than 9' overall length, and about 36" high (one of my objectives is to make the trike as compact as possible).

Then I got to thinking...what are the dimensions of a Northstar? Turns out they are surprisingly similar to those of the Subie. The distance from front axle to the front of the engine are Subie-22", Caddy-24".

Width, Subie-32", Caddy-34".

Ground to top of engine, Subie-34", Caddy-34".

(All measurements are approximate...). But the Caddy Northstar has 300 horsepower!

I have just been looking at The Reaper again, and I do like your suspension! I have read lots and lots of build threads/blogs/articles, and most opt for the easy way out and use the donor car sub-frame and suspension, aka "the easy way out". I haven't decided yet (because I don't have to) but trust me, I am familiar with yours, and something similar is definitely a possibility. I appreciate your offer for advice, and I hope you meant it, because I intend to take you up on it!

Glen

Unknow person to me in dallas tx used to build them and he had me wanting one also, but im a die hard harley guy till i get one, i sold a 425hp chevy trike, so, theres that.;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png