Pulsating/flashing brake light module;legal/illegal

Sep 15, 2013
Astoria, New York, USA
I am considing installing the Kuryakyn Pulsating/Flashing rear brake module. I live in New York State and wondering if they are legal or illegal here. I will be keeping the stock rear brake lights.

I had the Hyper-Lites on my bike for years and traveled all over. Never had a problem. Whether pulsating brake lights are illegal in some states I don't know. What would be the difference between that and the rider pumping the brakes???

I know modulating headlights are legal - there is even a DOT spec sheet that you can carry with you in case a LEO stops you.

I'd call the state police and ask.

It is my understanding ....

Brake light pulsing is a non-issue.

It is the pulsing headlamps that have state by state laws.

I use Radiantz strobe LED tail lamp units (P/N 9903-18) for my 2014. BEST $200 mod on the trike!!!!!!! Remove old units / put on new units = PLUG & PLAY.

Bob :Dorag:

Interesting. I thought I read somewhere the DOT said they are OK for all states and issued a memo to that effect.
I wish I could find that memo - I printed it out years ago, but never got around to installing the headlight modulator.

Gary - I believe you are correct. It is my understanding that, regardless of state "rules", the Federal DOT approval of modulating headlights supersedes any State regulations. I guess "we" might have to explain it to the Judge, but to my knowledge, they're OK.

I'll try to find my printout OR maybe someone here has the link to the DOT approval. Fed rules "over rule" the State...

Also, my 2012 MotorTrike Phoenix kit came with (not an option) a pulsating brake light - it flashes about 3 times very quickly, then stays on. I've never had a problem from LEO's.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png