Trip to Florida and back - thoughts and impressions

Oct 29, 2012
Centennial, CO, USA
Just returned from a trip from Denver to Fort Walton Beach for the Florida State HOG rally. Had a great time, but experienced some interesting "effects" on the 3,000+ mile ride. Seems my TriGlide likes our 91 octane / corn fuel / high elevation better than 93 octane / sea level. Gas mileage went to hell for the most part while there, but didn't care too much because of how warm it was and the scenery was certainly different than the mountains we have here.

Usually get around 32 mpg here in the mountains and down there I was lucky to get 20-22 mpg. Seemed to have plenty of zip, but definitely sucked the gas down. Anyone else experience something like this? Not sure if living in lower elevations and then going to sea level does the same thing. Most of my travels have been to the higher elevation states, so no change in mpg that was noticeable.

All in all it was a great ride and we had perfect weather the whole time. No rain and plenty of sunshine.

Sounds like an outstanding trip, that is what Tri-glides are all about. last year wife and I rode from SoCal to Wyoming and back. mileage didn't vary as much as yours, and we got a couple of rainy days but that is what motorcycle touring is all about. PICTURES???

Eastern half of PA with "hills" I consistently get 37 mpg riding 2-up. It would have been interesting to read your spark plugs during the 20-22 mpg phase of your trip. I only use 93 Octane SUNOCO with 10% ethanol. Dealer said only add Startron additive during winter storage. I will probably drive to a station where I can get 93 without ethanol and still add the fuel stabilizer for the Winter months.

I know the ECM has the ability to adjust .... but not sure what time duration is needed. Good stuff to know!!!
Wondering if sea level Dealer could have reset air/fuel ratio for you?????

Glad you had a great trip.

Bob :Dorag:

Just returned from a trip from Denver to Fort Walton Beach for the Florida State HOG rally. Had a great time, but experienced some interesting "effects" on the 3,000+ mile ride. Seems my TriGlide likes our 91 octane / corn fuel / high elevation better than 93 octane / sea level. Gas mileage went to hell for the most part while there, but didn't care too much because of how warm it was and the scenery was certainly different than the mountains we have here.

Usually get around 32 mpg here in the mountains and down there I was lucky to get 20-22 mpg. Seemed to have plenty of zip, but definitely sucked the gas down. Anyone else experience something like this? Not sure if living in lower elevations and then going to sea level does the same thing. Most of my travels have been to the higher elevation states, so no change in mpg that was noticeable.

All in all it was a great ride and we had perfect weather the whole time. No rain and plenty of sunshine.

Wow, that's quite a difference!

What speeds were you traveling at when you were getting the 20-22 mpg?

Headwinds?

Sorry about the gas mileage,but a friend went and had a ball.

Hopeyou had as much fun as he did. Ride Safe

Sounds like an outstanding trip, that is what Tri-glides are all about. last year wife and I rode from SoCal to Wyoming and back. mileage didn't vary as much as yours, and we got a couple of rainy days but that is what motorcycle touring is all about. PICTURES???

Unfortunately I'm one of those people that don't take pictures. Never think about it when I'm out and about and then I get home with nothing to show anyone.

Wow, that's quite a difference!

What speeds were you traveling at when you were getting the 20-22 mpg? Headwinds?

It was highway speed, so about 75 and two up, trike loaded. Occasional headwinds, but that didn't change the lousy mileage I was already getting down there. I usually ride alone, but someone flew down and rode with me for the rally and part of the ride back.

Even on the rare occasions I've had a passenger while riding in Colorado or Wyoming I've never gone that low on mileage. But like I said, I've never ridden at sea level before so didn't know if that had something to do with it. Had the trike dyno'd locally and it was tuned to run on our crappy fuel at elevation, so that may have had something to do with it, but I don't really know.

Another interesting thing that we discovered when we arrived in Florida is that we all lost about 4-6 pounds of air pressure in our tires. Usually run 24 in the rear and 40 on the front. Checked the air pressure when we got to Fort Walton and I had 18 in the rear and 36 in the front. Even after getting the tire pressures back up, I still got that lousy gas mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like an outstanding trip, that is what Tri-glides are all about.

last year wife and I rode from SoCal to Wyoming and back. mileage didn't vary as much as yours, and we got a couple of rainy days but that is what motorcycle touring is all about. PICTURES???

Just another thought on what you said about going from SoCal to Wyoming and back. I wonder if it makes a difference coming from a lower elevation to higher as opposed to the other way around? I'm not going to worry too much about it either way because it was a great ride, with great friends and we got to ride through some new states in perfect weather.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png