Rake Question: Cups good enough or what?

Sep 30, 2014
Olympia
Greetings once again. I've got my DNA final drive and swingarm on order for my Low-Budget '04 XL1200C conversion and am now addressing the rake issue.

Are raked cups and bearings an acceptable substitute?

I want to run the original headlight, riser, instrument, etc setup, and will be using my H-D quick-release windshield for protection as desired, so no full fairing. I DO NOT intend to and WILL NOT scrimp cut corners on bearings themselves.

I am also inclined toward eventually running 4" over tubes, if only for stability on the slab. My FXRS-SP and FSRT both had 2" overs out of the factory, compared to other Low Riders, and were much more to my liking on the open road. It just seems like a good sense mod, and low cost, if I grab them on sale, which occasionally happens around here.

Anyway, please DO weigh in on the cups issue, bearing in mind that I am doing this thing on the cheap.

Grazzi.

-BearE

I can appreciate a good project done 'on the cheap'. Sounds like lots of building fun.

The bearing cups that you get that are cut to add 3 degrees more rake will do just that. However, the effect is the same as modifying the frame's neck out by 3 degrees. The stailization that is usually needed by trikes is in the raked triple trees. While they do rake the forks out a bit more (let's say 3 degrees), they also leave the angle of the neck and the associated fork stem at the stock angle. That effectively reduces the 'trail' somewhat - and that's what makes the steering easier.

The raked cups change the angle of the neck. The raked triple trees do not change the angle of the neck, but they do move the forks outward to gain more 'effective' rake.

A bit challenging to explain, but if you research the 'rake and trail' discussions herein you will see illustrations and definitions that will make it all clear.

Good luck with your build.

:Coffee: BAZOOKA, IS THE FORUM OWNER AND ADMINSTRATOR,I SUGGEST YOU LOOK HIM UP IN THE COMMUNITY HEADING AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE AND SHOOT HIM THE SAME QUESTION? HE IS A RAKE GURU.

:Shrug:IF YOUR BUILDING ON THE CHEAP AND STILL WANT QUALITY PAY ATTENTEN TO HIS RECCOMENDATIONS?

WE GET DISCOUNTS JUST FOR BEING MEMBERS OF TRIKE TALK.ThumbUp

+1 What pcombe sez. Chief will not only tell ya rite,but probably will save ya some $$$$$$$$$. GOOD LUCK RIDE SAFE

Message Received

Good input. Thanks. I don't want to impose on the time of anybody who is already trying to run a business (or three), however, so I'll try to rely on the links found at the bottom of the thread before trying to reinvent the wheel... or the tree.

I did talk to Bazooka about scoring some trees and, unfortunately, no discounts available on trees for my Sportster. But he is indeed a most helpful and knowledgeable gent, as you mention.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png