Experiencing rear brake squeal???

azbob09

250+ Posts
Dec 1, 2009
Wickenburg, Az.
Just wondered how many are experiencing rear brake squeal to some degree, especially on Tri-glides, & what you've done to improve or correct it?
Thanks...

Should be the same fix as with cages. Skuff up the pads & rotors with sandpaper & put some "noise suppressor" between pads & caliper when reassembling. A THIN layer of the black silicone gasket maker works as well as the "noise suppressor". Let it set up before assembly.

NM

My wifes CTS is doing the thing;)

Did Cadillac make your brake shoes too:D

I don't use my rear brakes as much as I should. My right leg has a hard time bending that far.

The first couple times I use the rear brake, it may squeal a little. At the next stop, I get on the brake a little harder and the squeal goes away.

I just figure some rust or dirt has accumulated on the rotors.

I've found that squeal comes from brake dust caking on the pads and slightly braking the friction. That squeal will normally go away if you apply a couple of hard braking sessions. If not, the light scuffing of both the pad and rotor surface with emery cloth will fix it.

My old Hillbilly Logic has always told me that spraying anti-squeal - which is basically a silicone lubricant - does nothing but REDUCE the friction and make the pad slide more easily over the rotor. That defies the whole concept of braking, which is the application of friction to stop the wheel from turning. I therefor have never used the spray and never will.

Just my :2cents: worth.

My 09 TG has squeaked both front and rear from day one. Now 5K miles and still squeak like hell! Have found no resolution through dealer of HD!

Have decided to replace the rear brakes with the new ones by PM. Expensive, but cant take it anymore and should feel safer as I understand they are designed for the weight of the TG.

I've gotten a squeal on rare occassions. But since I only have 950 miles on my '10 TG, I haven't experienced enough yet. My big complaint is the lack of stopping power with rears alone. OK, I am comparing it to my 2-wheel Road Glide and many say "you are supposed to use front and rear simultaneously"---which I do. But sometimes in quick situations, you can only use the rear brakes. As sometimes you can only use the front.
I just wonder why they didn't use 12" rotors on each rear brake as they did the front. Just my 2 cents.

I'm taking my TG into the stealer tomorrrow for the 1000 check. You think I should mention something about the rear brakes or am I wasting my time?

I would. But sadly, I don't think you will get anywhere. My front also sqeaks but am changing to a Lindyl pad and this should help that issue??

Please note that many TG owners have had this issue, maybe mine as been a bit more excessive. The main thing is looking for any grooves on the discs.

Had the dealer check rear brakes on 1000 mile check. As I figured, no problem with brakes. The tech said to apply more pressure than usual. He agreed the rear rotors were insufficient for braking this 1100 lb. beast and said "maybe they'll get it right on the next design"---lol! :p

At least I don't have a runaway Prius! ;)

I think I would starting looking to see if anyone is making a more aggressive pad for the read of the TRI-Glide. You may have to trade off a bit of wearing out faster to get a better griping pad. Just a thought.

Have decided to replace the rear brakes with the new ones by PM. Expensive, but cant take it anymore and should feel safer as I understand they are designed for the weight of the TG.

PopDukes,could you give a little more detail on those pads by "PM". Who are they and do they have a web site? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that they are Performance Machine. My bad! :blush:
Let us know how those brakes work out.

Just wondered how many are experiencing rear brake squeal to some degree, especially on Tri-glides, & what you've done to improve or correct it?
Thanks...

I believe it's caused by the pads HD uses. I've heard many complaints about rear brake squeal from people who own '08 and later Ultra Classics. I had just over 4000 miles on mine when I triked it and the rear brakes squealed from day one!!! No problems after the conversion. The consensus of opinion on the fix was to replace the HD pads with aftermarket equipment.

You got it!! Buying the brake kit! Wish for the rims, but too much at this time!

Installing end of month. Riding to Vegas from LA on the 9th of April. Will be good test for new brakes and new UltraCool oil cooler.

Lindyl is supposedly making pads for the rear but not ready yet!

Will keep you all posted!

I think I would starting looking to see if anyone is making a more aggressive pad for the read of the TRI-Glide. You may have to trade off a bit of wearing out faster to get a better griping pad. Just a thought.

I was out riding my 2010 Triglide the other day when I decided to see exactly how well the back brakes would work. I was surprised that the pressure on the brake peddle needed to lock up the back brakes wasn't that bad. I was also surprised at how loud the back tires squeel when you lock them up, got several people to turn their heads and look real quick.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png