Making The Switch - Bike to Trike - Great Info!

How long have you been a trike owner?

• Never owned a bike or trike but thinking of getting a trike.

Votes: 68 4.0%
  • Currently own a bike and thinking of switching to a trike.

Votes: 272 15.9%
  • First owned a trike 0 - 1 year ago.

Votes: 671 39.2%
  • First owned a trike 1 - 2 years ago.

Votes: 176 10.3%
  • First owned a trike 2 - 3 years ago.

Votes: 121 7.1%
  • First owned a trike 3 - 4 years ago.

Votes: 96 5.6%
  • First owned a trike 4 - 5 years ago.

Votes: 76 4.4%
  • First owned a trike more than 5 years ago.

Votes: 232 13.6%

• Total voters
old questions but need advice

I have rebuilt a trike wrecked a Champion kit and now has Harley DNA rear end. The champion set up worked awesome. It is a Yamaha 1700 which i bought triked and wrecked. I couldn't get another replacement Champion kit so I bought the DNA Harley and a shop ADAPTED it. The kit came with dual piston calipers and would never get right. Would either lock up and release after time or not stop it. Since the old kit had single piston calipers i changed it back to single pistons. have bled, changed master and now it will stop but to get good (has never been great since Champion kit) if i pump it a couple times. you can feel it initially engage but to truly stop it needs to be pumped a couple times. Have tried a proportioning valve and didnt do a noticeable thing.

Do any of you PROS and SEASONED trikers have any other ideas? I need major HELP!!!!!!!!!

I have rebuilt a trike wrecked a Champion kit and now has Harley DNA rear end. The champion set up worked awesome. It is a Yamaha 1700 which i bought triked and wrecked. I couldn't get another replacement Champion kit so I bought the DNA Harley and a shop ADAPTED it. The kit came with dual piston calipers and would never get right. Would either lock up and release after time or not stop it. Since the old kit had single piston calipers i changed it back to single pistons. have bled, changed master and now it will stop but to get good (has never been great since Champion kit) if i pump it a couple times. you can feel it initially engage but to truly stop it needs to be pumped a couple times. Have tried a proportioning valve and didnt do a noticeable thing.

Do any of you PROS and SEASONED trikers have any other ideas? I need major HELP!!!!!!!!!

Gene......Post this again on the Freewheeler Forum, And hopefully our resident Brake Guru.....Jack Klarich will see this and chime in...

Thanks it sounded strange until I tried it. I personally just stand on the left peg with left foot and swing my right leg over the tank/ wife does the same way, before I get on and then just hops back on her seat using the rider boards . but I put the video together so they could see just what u was takin about.

actually, that was very helpful

little yellow poles

I have been triking about 15 years. 11 years on a VW based Trike Shop Runabout, the past 4 or so on a 1995 GW1500 Motor Trike. Feel free to pick my brain (such as it is)! Pics of both are posted in the garage.

For new trikers, especially those coming from a 2 wheeler, a few tips:

-Keep that front wheel in the middle of your lane.

-Point the front wheel in the direction you want to turn (no countersteering!)

-Don't put your feet down at a stop.

-If you think you will be able to reach out and touch something to the side, you're too close! Watch out for curbs, toll booth & gas pump barrier poles, etc.

-When you hit a pothole or bump with one of your rear wheels, the bars will shake a bit. Don't worry, this is normal. The effect is a little more pronounced with solid axle rear ends.

-Add extra time at stops on a ride for answering questions from interested folks asking questions about your ride, from both two wheel riders and nonriders. (We could retire if we got $1 from every little kid we gave a quick 5 minute ride around a parking lot, and a couple of parents, too.)

-Don't worry about the small decrease in gas mileage. You now carry more weight, bigger wheels (and an extra one) and there are 2 air brakes right behind you, also known as "fenders"

-The soreness around your mouth and cheeks is from the extra big smile you will have for hours at a time. It doesn't go away, but don't worry - you'll get used to it.:D

You must know My Wifes Driving LOL :laugh:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png