K&N Filters?

I owned a hot-shot company for many years. In 2000, one of my contract drivers bought a new Dodge/Cummins & trailer. He promptly changed the program & added a K&N air filter.

I know he serviced it religiously, but at 80K miles, it was blowing motor oil out thru the oil pan breather tube. Compression was down to 120# per cylinder, very low power.

Since the truck had a 100K mile warranty, he took it back to Dodge to get fixed. BUT, Dodge found dust in the breather tube between the air filter & blower. The cylinder walls & rings were sandblasted terribly. AND DODGE refused to warrant the problem, K&N specs, in dusty conditions weren't up to Cummins specs. We travel a lot of dirt/unimproved roads to the drilling rigs. This guy had to eat the $10K rebuild.

I won't put K&N filters on a bicycle.

If you run only Interstate roads, maybe ok. Maybe ok on a v-twinky with the side air cleaners.

But the hassle of getting to the air filter on these 6cyl Hondas means most aren't cleaned nearly often enough.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.:AGGHH:

Always good to get pros and cons.

I have K&N filter on my Tacoma and also ran it on my wife's Honda Civic and never had a problem and I lived in the High Desert CA. Lots of wind and sand there.

I am curious as to the bike though. A service manager here in NH recommended not running it on my RSTD. Not sure if it was so he could sell me Yamaha parts or not.

Hope to get some more feedback both pro/con so I have something else to decide on over the winter.

Thanks for your input so far.

Always good to get pros and cons.

I have K&N filter on my Tacoma and also ran it on my wife's Honda Civic and never had a problem and I lived in the High Desert CA. Lots of wind and sand there.

I am curious as to the bike though. A service manager here in NH recommended not running it on my RSTD. Not sure if it was so he could sell me Yamaha parts or not.

Hope to get some more feedback both pro/con so I have something else to decide on over the winter.

Thanks for your input so far.

Go to ventureriders.org those people are more venture/tour deluze owners and could help you better. I do remember something about engines being choked for lack of air in some instances on them.

I run K&N on my RSV, they have been there since the bike was new, 80K miles and no problems. I ran them in my "94 Dodge Ram whick was used as a dune runner and mud bogger, I sold the truck with 290K still running strong.

The key to using the K&N filters is to keep them oiled, use pre-filter wraps on them and run them dirty.

I run k&n on my warrior and the S&S equivalent on both my FatBob and my Chopper. I also run a "green " filter on my camaro. On the bikes you have to be careful because if you switch out the filters for higher flowing filters you may have to "tune" the bike depending on the amount of increased flow and other changes made. I have a Power commander 5 with a custom tune in it for the changes I have made on my warrior and I have a cobra fi2000 autotuner on the FatBob. The chopper is carburated so it is a matter of playing with jet sizes

Go to ventureriders.org those people are more venture/tour deluze owners and could help you better. I do remember something about engines being choked for lack of air in some instances on them.

Actually they get too much air and sometimes run like crap, especially if you don't keep them oiled! MPG has been noted to go down as well.

That being said I put a pair on this summer and so far so good...

Is or has anyone run the K&N filters on their RSV?

I'm thinking to switching to them during the Trike conversion.

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Dennis:confused:

I run K&N's on all three of my RSV's Hard to tell if the performance is any better, but I like the ability to reuse, and the lifetime warrantee of the filter.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png