Best way to jack up rear end of trike

Apr 26, 2014
Woodland Park, CO
Bought a 2009 with a Champion kit a couple of months ago. I like to do my own basic maintenance on my cycles, like changing fluids, greasing, etc.
The space under the rear end of the Champion kit is very low to the ground.
I was wondering how most trike owners raise the rear of the trike to work on the differentials, etc?
Are there motorcycle lifts available or do owners build their own miniature ramps and just back the trike onto the ramps to get another 6-8 inches of space to work with? Any ideas?

Thanks, Keith

Sissors jack under the center stand, then place jack stands under the rear before crawling under.
Yes, there are several brands of table lifts available. However, you still need to elevate the bike on the table if you want to work under it. Still have the same clearance to the lift table as is when the trike is on the ground!!!!

Each trike maker has different points that could be used as a lifting point.
Personally I haven't found what I call a trike lift. I am making one out of a sears motorcycle jack. It is designed for up to 1,500 lbs. All I am going to do is have the lift arms closer together so the fit between the mufflers. Due to the low clearance I don't think I can get it to fit under the shock mounts.
I will sit back to see if others has any suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

I stand corrected, this is a trike lift bu JS
http://www.jsjacks.com/trike-lift/

I have CSC cobra trike. I jack mine up the old fashioned way. I jack up one side and install jack stand. Then go to other side and do likewise. If I need front of trike up I use cinder block with old pillow for padding to hold front up. Old and slow but it works for me.

I do about the same as the turboman.
Using a floor jack to raise one side, set the jack stand, raise the other side, set another jack stand.

Have used this technique on my Suzuki, BMW and Honda trikes and after awhile you can do it pretty quickly. I know that some members spend money on bike lifts then modify them to handle the trike but I've never had the motivation to go that route.

I did build a 2"x 10" ramp to make oil changes easier.

A roll hydraulic jack from WalMart for less than $20 works about as good as anything I've thought of. Position it under a solid point with a block of 2 x to avoid metal on metal, chock the wheels, and pump. Works for me, the old fashioned slow way. For the front wheel, ride it up on a couple 1 x under the front tire so there's enough room for the jack, use a piece of 1 x on the jack pivit and pump, raise it up enough you can get comfortable and work. Oh yes, chock the wheels for safety. I can clean that front wheel in no time at all.

I use a combination depending on what I need to do. I have a 1500 pound atv jack that I can lift the whole rear of the trike with. It fits and lifts using the hitch framework. (ok by my mfg). I also use a hydraulic floor jack to lift one side using the shock lower mount as lifting point. Use floor jack under front with board to keep from punching hole in belly pan. Don't ask how I learned to use the wood.

Wish I had room for a real trike lift, and the money, cause it would sure make life easier. But I get by with what I do.

I use a combination on mine also depending on the job. For greasing and differential changes I back it up on car ramps put a rug down and go underneath. The one nice thing about the wing is you can stand next to it while backing it up on the ramps so positioning it is easy. If more room is needed I have a set of jack stands with built in hydraulics so I can get more height if needed. On the front end of the trike I use an ATV 1500 lb lift to jack her up. The ATV lift works with the running boards so I dont have any issues getting it underneath or clearance issues with the running boards as it is raising.

Well here's some options and also what happens if you do it wrong with the wrong weight lift. I use a K&L Pneumatic 1500# lift as I no longer crawl around and have bad knees.... Or build you a Stab / Hitch Lift if you have a welded trailer hitch..... I still also use mechanical flat scissor lifts even when its on the lift..... just some options for ya..... Do it right or pay the price and maybe break something else..... or worse YOU !!!!

Attachments

• TrikeJack3c.jpg
    TrikeJack3c.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 266
  • LiftAapter2.jpg
    LiftAapter2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 1mc625r-extension.jpg
    1mc625r-extension.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 240
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,528
Guys, thanks much for the ideas. I have a pair of ramps and a large roller jack. Now I just have to figure out where the best points are under the rear end to place the jack or supports on the Champion IRS when I don't use the ramps..

I push my floor jack under the pumpkin and jack it up. Then I put stiff arms under the frame to keep things level and remove the jack. If I want it higher I do this....

Attachments

• IMG_3868.JPG
    IMG_3868.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 182
Man you guys scare me, sometimes you only get one shot at this prior to hurting yourself. Just be very carefull with these small footprint lifts.... here's something new I found : http://www.jsjacks.com/trike-air-lift/

:AGGHH:

Better yet here is what I use..... I plan on being around awhile so I spent a little extra to do it safely..... This page shows the different lifts , an accessorie section, a video of all the features and mine is pneumatic to avoid the hydralic fluid possible mess.... 1750# Capacity

I think i use it more for my smaller Kubota tractor and my riding mower for blade changes.... but my trike lives on it when not out riding so it takes no more room than my Roadsmith...... : http://www.klsupply.com/SHOPLIFTEQUI...TYAIRLIFT.aspx

Last edited:
Pitbull lifts had an issue with 1800s if you didnt have your centerstand and if you had aquashields. Im sure the J&S possibly will have the same issue with aquashields and the frames also. And depending on your brand whether its a Roadsmith or a Motortrike trying to find the safe sweetspot is still not going to be that safe. I wouldnt want to balance a trike on one of those lifts and try to work on her.

I ran across a thread from another bike site. A guy made 4 boxes. 4' x 2' x 10 inches.
Put handles on them and added a ramp.
parts used was
2x10
3/4inch plywood.
Made the box from 2x10 and wrapped with 3/4 inch ply wood.
You just drive the trike on the boxes then removes 2 of them to work on the trike.
It is a cool idea and low cost plus they stack for space saving.

I tried several ways to lift both rear wheels off the ground at the same time and be safe in the process. None of them were very satisfactory. I had some 1 1/4" square tubing on hand so I welded up a rectangular frame welded a stinger of the same size to fit the receiver hitch on my RoadSmith Kit. I also have a Sears motorcycle jack left over from my two wheeling days that will not fit underneath the frame of the trike without raising the front wheel high enough to allow it to fit underneath. Even then, the rear of the trike is heavier than the front and the whole thing will not lift off the ground.

I parked the Sears jack underneath the trailer hitch area of the trike, took some measurement to make certain the frame I built would fit both the hitch receiver and allow the jack to slide underneath the frame. The frame is wide enough to fit over the lifting arms of the Sears jack with a few inches hanging over each arm. I raise the Sears jack which contacts the frame which is secured in the receiver hitch. The rear of the trike raises easily off the ground and I can secure the jack with the locking mechanism that is part of the jack. The frame is secured to the trike with no possibility of moving and it also sits very stable on the lifting arms of the jack.

I can raise the rear tires to just clear the ground or higher if necessary for some other work. I can also raise the front end of the trike at the same time with a scissors type jack placed underneath the motor. This is a very stable and safe way to raise the trike. It works very well for me, and can be used anywhere the Sears jack can be used.

I tried several ways to lift both rear wheels off the ground at the same time and be safe in the process. None of them were very satisfactory. I had some 1 1/4" square tubing on hand so I welded up a rectangular frame welded a stinger of the same size to fit the receiver hitch on my RoadSmith Kit. I also have a Sears motorcycle jack left over from my two wheeling days that will not fit underneath the frame of the trike without raising the front wheel high enough to allow it to fit underneath. Even then, the rear of the trike is heavier than the front and the whole thing will not lift off the ground.

I parked the Sears jack underneath the trailer hitch area of the trike, took some measurement to make certain the frame I built would fit both the hitch receiver and allow the jack to slide underneath the frame. The frame is wide enough to fit over the lifting arms of the Sears jack with a few inches hanging over each arm. I raise the Sears jack which contacts the frame which is secured in the receiver hitch. The rear of the trike raises easily off the ground and I can secure the jack with the locking mechanism that is part of the jack. The frame is secured to the trike with no possibility of moving and it also sits very stable on the lifting arms of the jack.

I can raise the rear tires to just clear the ground or higher if necessary for some other work. I can also raise the front end of the trike at the same time with a scissors type jack placed underneath the motor. This is a very stable and safe way to raise the trike. It works very well for me, and can be used anywhere the Sears jack can be used.

Pudge ----- SEE POST #8

Well here's some options and also what happens if you do it wrong with the wrong weight lift. I use a K&L Pneumatic 1500# lift as I no longer crawl around and have bad knees.... Or build you a Stab / Hitch Lift if you have a welded trailer hitch..... I still also use mechanical flat scissor lifts even when its on the lift..... just some options for ya..... Do it right or pay the price and maybe break something else..... or worse YOU !!!!

wow What was being lifted in the last picture with the bent lift table? It looks like a Hardy BOB. I use one and hope it never does this. :AGGHH:

Look at post 8.
I made a tie down bracket to use with my trike and the trailer hitch.
It is made like a T so I tried it with my bike jack using a 2 x 10 across the jack and it worked great. I can lift both rear tires off the ground .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png