Extended Warranty: Yes or No

Beware, dealers will push hard to sell extended warranties at the time of the sale. They make lots of money selling those extended warranties with all sorts of promises. You will do better, save $$$, by waiting until the original factory warranty is about to expire, then buy an extended warranty. You usually can buy them online cheaper than through dealers. This is what I have done on my bikes.

Hi All,
i am getting ready to order a 2015 Harley Trike. I want to decide before I walk into the dealership with a pocket full a money whether or not to buy the extended warranty. So I guess my question to you guys is, is it worth it? What does it cost? A little more background, other than the very basics, I don't work on my own bike, I found early on that it costs me more to have someone fix what I have done than if I had brought it to a profession from the get go... I would really appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

Well it really depends on what you want for peace of mind and how long you think you will keep the trike. First off it comes with a 2 year warrantee. You can get extensions of up to 7 years 2 original and 5 added. The cost depends on how long you get it for. You might even be able to get one thrown in with the deal if you can negotiate it. I do almost all my own work, but over the last 4 years my wife and I have been taking some long rides up to 10k miles. I feel better having the warrantee if I need it on the road. If I did not do those long road trips I would be happy with the factory 2 years. I'm not sure what the current going rate is but around $1500 for the max extension is probably close. Good luck

I didn't have the extended warranty on my '11 but decided to go for it on our '15. The warranty goes by the number of years and not mileage. We do a lot of long distance riding and it's nice to know all we have to do is call and we can get it fixed. The repair costs from Harley can be really extreme. I went for 4 extended years at a price iof $1600.

Gary

Great to have for piece of mind. It only takes one major breakdown for it to pay for itself ThumbUp

If you can afford it and you are not mechanically inclined - BUT IT! ThumbUp

The first one I had on my 03 Ultra paid for itself twice over. The second one I used once for a new trans and then had it transferred to my new TG and so far has already paid for itself. I'm 70 and my job is close to being shut down - so this is piece of mind for the next 5 years. I KNOW if something goes wrong, I'll still be able to get it fixed and get back on the highway. I also bought the ESP maintenance program (3 years unlimited miles) - another "piece of mind" thing - and I saved a few hundred dollars in the process over regularly scheduled maintenance. I ride at least 10K+ miles a year - so it's well worth it to me. I would only buy the one Harley sells not any of the fly by night outfits from the internet. Mine covers just about everything on the bike, which I was amazed to see.

It's nice to see all the mechanics tell you it's a waist of money - they don't have to worry about it.

My dealer didn't push it, I had to ask about it and then read about it on different forums. Those that were for it were not mechanically inclined and wanted piece of mind - - those that were against it were mechanics or those that didn't ride much. It's all up to you. ThumbUp

I won't own any post 2002 Twin Cam without a warranty.

On my 2011 TG I had over $10k of warranty work done, all covered by factory warranty or extended warranty.

On my 2014 TG I am taking it in soon...I have a suspicion it will need the BCM replaced under warranty.

This is not to say I am unhappy with TG's. I'm a very happy owner...Just that part of that happiness is due to having a warranty. :)

Kevin

My dads extended warranty paid for it self on his 09 Triglide. I didn't get one on my 10, but I sent it down the road when strange things started happening and going wrong.

At 1st I was not going to get the E/W on my 2013, and my org. warranty runs out this Jan 29th, but a few mo's ago I started having elect. prob's with it. it ended up being a bad batt. but during the trouble shooting and replacing two stator's and a voltage regulator plus a new batt. the bill ran up to $1050, which was covered by the org. warranty.
I just took out a 3 year H/D E/W [no wheel and tire], it was $1524, I still have one more year left on my wheel and tire when I bought the TG new.
I know $1524 sounds like a lot [and you may can do better], but if you do ever have a prob. remember my minor prob. went through a $1000 in a short time, I can only guess what a major eng. prob.

would cost.
I figure at my age [77] I will be getting rid of it in three years anyway, about the same time my EW runs out, and if I live that long, I will start taking better care of my self :D.
It's the price of owning a Harley ;).

ThumbUp on extended warranty

:mad: I vote NO on service contracts.

Tom, why no on service contracts?

I save over well over $500 with my 3 year/unlimited mileage contract over the standard services for 3 years. I travel between 10K and 20K miles a year. Plus I get a loaner and my choice of oils.

And most importantly, if I loose my job in the next 3 years(very likely) and with my EXP, I am worry free for being able to afford to ride for at least 3 more years at the minimum. ThumbUp :pepper: - unless gas goes up to $10/gal. LOL

Now, if you do your own servicing then I agree with you.

I did the extended warranty on the 14 tri glide. I bought the tire and wheel package also. A couple of tires and wheels were replaced on the 07 ultra, paid for itself. Jim

I did the extended warranty on the 14 tri glide. I bought the tire and wheel package also. A couple of tires and wheels were replaced on the 07 ultra, paid for itself. Jim

Jim, you must be hard on wheels and tires. :)

I never included that coverage on m EXP's. In 55 years of riding I never damaged a wheel and can't remember ever getting a flat. I guess I have a rabbits foot up my a$$. LOL = knock on wood.

Jim, you must be hard on wheels and tires. :)

I never included that coverage on m EXP's. In 55 years of riding I never damaged a wheel and can't remember ever getting a flat. I guess I have a rabbits foot up my a$$. LOL = knock on wood.

I got one new tire from a nail in the rear tire. I was scooting down I-25 near Home when a houseboat transport blew out 3 tires on the same side. Well it happened so fast that I was in the middle of it. I feel so blessed that I didn't get a leg taken off. Well when it was all over with and after looking over the damage, both tires and wheels were replaced under warranty. No other damage, but running over bent rings from split rims sure take the toll on wheels and tires.

I sure hope nothing like that ever happens again. Jim

I got one new tire from a nail in the rear tire. I was scooting down I-25 near Home when a houseboat transport blew out 3 tires on the same side. Well it happened so fast that I was in the middle of it. I feel so blessed that I didn't get a leg taken off. Well when it was all over with and after looking over the damage, both tires and wheels were replaced under warranty. No other damage, but running over bent rings from split rims sure take the toll on wheels and tires. I sure hope nothing like that ever happens again. Jim

I am amazed those tires and wheels were replaced under warranty! Usually, it has to be a "manufacturers" defect for warranty to cover replacement.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png