Stuck in Reverse

VSTriker

60+ Posts
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I have a 04 Goldwing Trike with CSC kit, that is stuck in reverse. I think the problem is the switch that is used to change from neutral to reverse but that is just a guess. Anyone else ever had this problem. Also I will be taking it to have it repaired, but I am at a loss as how to move it. I don't know if a tow company would be able to put it on a tow truck since the back wheels will not roll. Also I am concerned about damage to the trike in trying to get it on a tow truck. Any suggestions. Is there a way to override the switch to get it out of reverse and into neutral? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

New one on me. If the reverse switch is stuck you may want to try using contact cleaner on it. Check the relays ? Sure would like to know what you find wrong. GOOD LUCK

I have a 04 Goldwing Trike with CSC kit, that is stuck in reverse. I think the problem is the switch that is used to change from neutral to reverse but that is just a guess. Anyone else ever had this problem. Also I will be taking it to have it repaired, but I am at a loss as how to move it. I don't know if a tow company would be able to put it on a tow truck since the back wheels will not roll. Also I am concerned about damage to the trike in trying to get it on a tow truck. Any suggestions. Is there a way to override the switch to get it out of reverse and into neutral? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

There is very little doubt in my mind you are correct in your diagnosis.

I had one stick on my '01 many years ago and some of my friends have had them stick. The actual switch is way back in there so it takes a bit of luck to get any cleaner or lube into the switch. I covered the plastic with a blanket and just flooded the switch with WD40 while working the switch some. It eventually started working. Honda does not sell just that switch. The sell the entire assembly. Good reason. It takes an act of GOD nearly to get the switch out. I did mine and as I recall took several hours to get out, clean & lube, then put back together. Never failed again.

I use silicone grease.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done - just takes patience and a bit of know how..... Fred's videos help a lot!!

GOOD LUCK !!! :xszpv::xszpv:

I guess as a last resort you could remove the drive shaft, 4 bolts, then it would at least roll onto a tow truck. You can take it off the differential and wire it up out of the way that should do it.

Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. It will be a couple of weeks before I can do anything with the trike. My wife is having surgery this week, so will try the suggestions next week. Thanks again.

Go to your local hardware store and pick up two furniture dollies at about <br />
$10 each. Jack up the trike, put the dollys under the rear wheels and winch onto your trailer.

Went to Radio Shack got some stuff called DeodIT D5, electrical contact cleaner, it was $18.00 per can, figured I was throwing a $20.00 bill away. It says on the can it cleans, stops corrosion and lubricates. Sprayed in into the small opening around the reverse switch as I was pushing the switch. Lo and behold the reverse light went off the neutral light came on. Put it reverse a few times and the switch worked it went back into neutral. I think I will still take the control assembly apart and try to clean it as best I can, will probably replace the assembly after I get the time in a few weeks. Thanks for all the advice.

Went to Radio Shack got some stuff called DeodIT D5, electrical contact cleaner, it was $18.00 per can, figured I was throwing a $20.00 bill away. It says on the can it cleans, stops corrosion and lubricates. Sprayed in into the small opening around the reverse switch as I was pushing the switch. Lo and behold the reverse light went off the neutral light came on. Put it reverse a few times and the switch worked it went back into neutral. I think I will still take the control assembly apart and try to clean it as best I can, will probably replace the assembly after I get the time in a few weeks. Thanks for all the advice.

So glad ya got it working. That's wonderful stuff, little pricey but good. RIDE SAFE

Congrats! There are cheaper electronic cleaners out there, but RS makes a good one. I use a "CSC" product here in the West at about $4 a can. I use the stuff for a lot of things. Works good for cleaning any small parts. Permatex makes a good di-electric lube and contact preserver. Anyway, glad it worked for you... nice to get a "brake" now and then.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png