Will My OEM Front Tire Work?

I'm having my '012 triked this spring and my installer briefly suggested I install a certain front tire, (can't remember the type/brand) that he recommended on my trike that works great.
He's also will be installing a easy steer 6.5 rake kit on my 2012.
He and his wife also ride a black '12 decked out trike with this special tire, auto height adjustment etc..

We got off the subject as he was talking about it, and now I'm wondering if I should check more into it.

Can anyone out there help me out?
shrug.gif

I only have 3500 miles on the 2012 O/D.

Cheers!

I'm having my '012 triked this spring and my installer briefly suggested I install a certain front tire, (can't remember the type/brand) that he recommended on my trike that works great.
He and his wife also ride a black '12 decked out trike with this special tire, auto height adjustment etc..

We got off the subject as he was talking about it, and now I'm wondering if I should check more into it.

shrug.gif

Cheers!

Mike, you will find the OEM front tire does not handle well after you convert. It will have a tendency to roll or fold over some while cornering and that is not good. Not only does it raise the pucker factor through the roof but it really is not safe. As you read over on the GL1800Riders board the three tires mentioned are your best bet. From what we know each seems to have advantages. The Avon is so new on the scene that there isn't much experience information available. The Michelin and Bridgestone are widely used and both will serve you well.

As I recall you were talking about converting with a Roadsmith kit. If you do remember they de-link the brakes so you might want to consider running the bias ply tires in reverse rotation. I bet that statement will open some discussion we haven't seen in a while but the information on the rotation is out there and warrants some consideration. For those GL1800 trikers with linked brake systems I would not recommend even considering reverse rotation. The integrated brakes negate much of the concerns. JMHO... :xszpv::xszpv:

shrug.gif

Cheers!
I never had any problems with the OEM tire except they just do not last long.(bout 8000 to 10000 miles) whereas MPA'S and BT45'S last about25000 to low 30000's. I have ran them reversed and non reversed and have not seen a lot of difference there. Lot of opinions on this. GOOD LUCK
Look at front tire forums!

You may get 5 - 6000 miles out of your current tire. Just buy an MPA or BT45 Bias Rear Sportbike tire from Motorcycle Superstore and take it with you when you trike it.... sounds like your installer is right in line with the front tire problems.... Enjoy your New Trike.... ThumbUp

My '13 Hannigan came with a Bridgestone on the front and I got 7,000 out of it and it was worn completely out. I had no problems with it, or at least I don't think I did since this is my first trike. I'm no running the Michelin rear on the front with no problems. 9,000 on it and it looks new and is wearing even.

When I got my trike the dealer always replaces the front tire, part of the deal. He was out of tires so I took mine with the tire that was on it. I haven't noticed any ill effects. I don't ride hard and keep at 40-41 lbs.
I have ridden the trike for 2,500 miles thus far. It is possible a new tire could enlighten my horizon. Better ride/handling.

Keep what you have until worn out then replace with a BT45. I replaced mine and experienced no difference in how it rode . The BT45 is wearing very well with 21,000 miles and I imagine about 8,000 to 10,000 more to go. It's mounted in normal rotation and how it's mounted seems to make no difference in mileage. I chose to keep the tire rolling in the direction it was designed for to best handle wet roads which we have here in Florida during summer rain storms.

Keep what you have until worn out then replace with a BT45. I replaced mine and experienced no difference in how it rode . The BT45 is wearing very well with 21,000 miles and I imagine about 8,000 to 10,000 more to go. It's mounted in normal rotation and how it's mounted seems to make no difference in mileage. I chose to keep the tire rolling in the direction it was designed for to best handle wet roads which we have here in Florida during summer rain storms.

You are having fantastic ware on that tire Les!!! I know I ride hard and that has a lot to do with my tire ware and choices but you are on track to set a new record it sounds to me. I averaged around 15K on the BT 45 on my Motor Trike Adventure. Don't know what the new Roadsmith HTS1800 will do. I'll let y'all know this time next year... :xszpv::xszpv:

You are having fantastic ware on that tire Les!!! I know I ride hard and that has a lot to do with my tire ware and choices but you are on track to set a new record it sounds to me. I averaged around 15K on the BT 45 on my Motor Trike Adventure. Don't know what the new Roadsmith HTS1800 will do. I'll let y'all know this time next year... :xszpv::xszpv:

Gold Rush, actual numbers are, tire mounted at 12,925 miles and now 34,349 which is 21424 miles. I read an article years ago in popular science or mechanics about the different states and what fillers they used in their asphalt roads. Florida used coral rock which was not very hard on tire wear, but the Carolinas used granite what was hard on tires. Each state depending on what they used in their asphalt based on where they are located had a big difference in tire wear.

Gold Rush, actual numbers are, tire mounted at 12,925 miles and now 34,349 which is 21424 miles. I read an article years ago in popular science or mechanics about the different states and what fillers they used in their asphalt roads. Florida used coral rock which was not very hard on tire wear, but the Carolinas used granite what was hard on tires. Each state depending on what they used in their asphalt based on where they are located had a big difference in tire wear.

I hear you! TEXDOT uses some crushed razor blade formula for road surface resealing. Really, I do think they use that granit or maybe shail. I do know it's real hard on tires....

Integrated brakes don't have a thing to do with tread directionality. which is the reason why you reverse the tire.

I don't often tell someone they are wrong Mitch; but in this case you are.

Linked brakes take some of the stress off the bias play wrapping and thus reduces the reason for reversing the tire mounting direction. Very few of us even need to reverse the tire with de-linked systems because we just don't break hard enough to cause any issue. Those of us that ride hard and brake hard need to be aware of the tire design and what we might be exposing it to.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest so if anyone would like to discuss this topic further please send me a PM and I'll be happy to accommodate you. Over the years I have gathered and saved some interesting information I'd be glad to share. :xszpv::xszpv:

interesting thread , front tires always bring many different opinion's/ emotion's out don't they ,, good thread great bunch of folks with a lot of brain power hear at trike talk!!
magoo

I will not beat this poor old hoss with ya'll, but with all that has already been said in this and previous post what new info can be shared about Honda front tires. :xzqxz:

I will not beat this poor old hoss with ya'll, but with all that has already been said in this and previous post what new info can be shared about Honda front tires. :xzqxz:

I don't think there is much new in a long time Bob. The AVON tire may be a game changer but until a few guys get some miles on them it's still the MPA and BT-45 leading the field.

Forward/Reverse???? The information is out there if folks really want to hear from the experts (not me). I have saved several bits of info for those who want to make informed decisions.

26,000 on my Macadam 50 front tire . Changing it this year because it is 6 years old. Looks now like a OEM with 3,000 mils on it. Anyone else have more?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png