Helmets

Sep 19, 2013
Otis OR
Does anyone own one of the modular helmets and like them? I wear a skid lid or half helmet and as I get older, I am getting to think the full face helmet will be my regular wear. The problem I have with them is that the shield is always fogging up on me. I even tried out the new Arai RQ-X and still have fogging problems. The modular will probably cause the same problem to. May look into the newer 3/4 helmets.

I have been wearing modular helmets for a number of years and really like them
I have had Nolans and Scorpions.
If you wear glasses, you can put a modular helmet on without removing your glasses.

When refueling, I just flip up the front half. I will not ride without a full face helmet and the Modular ones are
just easier to get along with.
The Nolan and Scorpion Helmets have closable vents that eliminate the fogging problem plus they both are set up so that you can install your blue-tooth in them

I have a half dozen helmets, half shells, 3/4 and full face and finally settled on the 3/4 with a flip up face shield which is most comfortable for me.

I really don't care for the deep sea diver feel of the full face helmet - so the last one I bought just stays in the closet.

The 3/4 I regularly wear has built in headphones and a mic for CB use.

Just a few of my helmet collection. You can get away with this when you are OLD.

I wear one because the Government says I have to, not because want to.

Attachments

• helmet 3b.jpg
    helmet 3b.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 144
  • helmet hair.jpg
    helmet hair.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 405
  • My head-1.JPG
    My head-1.JPG
    491.1 KB · Views: 132
  • my helmet.jpg
    my helmet.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 137
I have different helmets depending on color, style and weather.....half-helmets, 3/4, full and just bought a modular hi-vis at Cycle Gear. Raise the shield a smidgen and will keep glasses from fogging. I prefer a 3/4, but did notice the modular is more quiet and head/face warmer. I wear a "slinky" head cover under all my helmets. Took the HD headset off one 3/4 and jimmy-rigged it on the modular...so far, so good :)

My full face helmet is a Scorpion X700 and it does not fog up at all. My wife has a Shoei RF1100 and she has some slight fogging issues. I also have a Bell Mag 9 (open face) that has a drop down clear shield plus a tinted sun visor... really like this helmet.

Scorpion EXO900, antifog coating INSIDE and OUTSIDE of shields... wear helmet as fullface or modular, or 3/4...other great features...if ordering online suggest try your size elsewhere first..Scorpions not for all headshapes.

I am using the Vega modular helmets for both me & the boss. The Summit II doesn't have a place for the bluetooth, but the Summit III does. I still use the HD premium headset for front & rear. Very satisfied !
The Summit III also sports a fold down inner visor that you can get in different colors. It operates from the outside of the shell.
They have a removable liners so they can be adjusted for fit & washing.
I just crack the front shield a bit to defog. The vents work, but not near enough. I wish they had more scoop.
Also these are a bit lighter than most of the modulars. Only problem I have had in about 4 years with them is a shield pivot screw came out.

Didn't loose it but it did come out.
This is the Summit III with the V-com Bluetooth mounted. You can mount it on either side. J&M I think it is also makes a unit to fit it. If you don't want the Bluetooth there is a cover in it's place.

2011-vega-summit-3-0-v-com-match-color-helmet.jpg

Same as you wore skid lids for years , and have gradually graduated to a modular . This trike I ride seems to have a lot of up draft so this helmet is necessary for me . :AGGHH:

The way I deal with the fogging is like everyone else and simply lift it a little when coming to a stop .:Agree: There are things for that problem but haven't used any so can't say how they do or don't work .

May not help but that's the way I deal with it !!!! ThumbUp

As most here, I too have a slew of helmets..half, 3/4 and modular full face.
I use the Fulmer modular helmet and Fulmer 3/4. I like Fulmer because of the deeper area for the helmet speakers. When I do use the 3/4 or full I use the helmet speakers. The Fulmer seems to fit my ears better, no rubbing or irritating...
half helmets are Harley boneyard types..and an old one that I've had for years..

If I had to purchase a 3/4 I would also get the J-Cruise Shoei :)

I currently have a Daytona 1/2 helmet and a Shoei RF-1200 full face.

Bob :Dorag:

I have the HD Visionary 3/4 Helmet for cool to cold days.
My Flight Navigator (wife) wear the HJC version, IS 33. HJC makes the
HD model. Spring through Fall we wear HJC IS 2 model half helmet.

I have a Shoei Neotec that I got this summer wanting to go from a Full Face to a Modular for easy of getting on and off plus the extra internal shield. ALL of my full face helmets have had fog issues especially when it gets colder. The Pin-Lock Shield helps a great deal once you get a good seal between the two. Also found some paste called 'Cat Crap' that I put on once in a while to help keep it from fogging up. Rode this morning when it was 18 degrees with only minor fogging but I did not have the Pin-Lock shield on. I wear perscription glasses and this helps a good deal not having to change them all the time when I get off the trike and go inside

I do wear prescription glasses so the modular looks interesting. I notice some helmets are coming out with the inner Sun shield which is a very good idea for me up here in the Northwest as this time of the year the Sun sits low in the horizon and if riding South in the afternoon, the Sun is right in you eyes. In most situations a rider is fine riding but up here in the mountain area, it is Sun and shade riding more often. So being able to flip down a Sun shade is pretty nice.

If I had to purchase a 3/4 I would also get the J-Cruise Shoei :)

I currently have a Daytona 1/2 helmet and a Shoei RF-1200 full face.

Bob :Dorag:

That one has peaked my interest too. I researched it yesterday after it appeared in this thread. Might be my next purchase.

Most of the year I us a 3/4 with a Face shield that has a retractable sun shield..
But when the temps are under 20 degrees I use a Modular, That keeps my face/head warm..
Yesterday I was out riding at 8 degrees without a problem, couldn't do that with my 3/4 ..

Mary and I both wear Nolan Modulars, and have for the last 8 years or so. Prior to that was a variety of no helmet, halfs, and for a lot of years 3/4.

We like the Nolan Modulars and are both on our second ones. They vent pretty well. Mary wears hers with the shield closed a good deal of the time. I hardly ever close my shield...only in an absolute downpour, or if it is below 30*.

They say not to ride with the modular part open, but I have tens of thousands of miles riding with it open, and never had an issue.

Kevin

Mary and I both wear Nolan Modulars, and have for the last 8 years or so. Prior to that was a variety of no helmet, halfs, and for a lot of years 3/4.

We like the Nolan Modulars and are both on our second ones. They vent pretty well. Mary wears hers with the shield closed a good deal of the time. I hardly ever close my shield...only in an absolute downpour, or if it is below 30*.

They say not to ride with the modular part open, but I have tens of thousands of miles riding with it open, and never had an issue.

Kevin

I don't think riding with it open is the problem, its the crash where it could get ugly. With the modular part open it will act like a scoop and if you end of doing the asphalt slide do to an unexpected dismount, chances are you'll have a broken neck from the raised modular section digging in and snapping the head back.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png