Drones

John Luciano

One Of The Origionals , TOI - New England
Mar 2, 2008
Conn
Anyone out there flying a RC Drone? Quad copter .. Looking to take video. What kind? Any suggestions. Not looking at spending a ton of money .....

Researched RC Copters for the Boy's Christmas Present.
The Quads w/Camera that saves stills onboard are around $150-$200.
The ones that save onboard and transmit stills/video to the Controller and can be controlled by an App on Smartphone or Tablet or Laptop will run @ $300 & Upwards.

The ones with above in higher resolution and user controllable Camera (pan, tilt, zoom, etc) usually start around $425.
Suggest pay close attention to Battery size/Flight Time capabilities, extended Range, Freq Band of Communication, and multiple Channels.
Radio Shack has a pretty decent selection and scope of Products to look at and research Specs and such.

Needless to say, the Boy got an $80 "standard" dual Rotor Copter.... ;)
For the time being, It still lives.
I don't know how but it does. Testament to its durability anyways I suppose.
Only has about 9-10 minutes flight time due to size and limitations of the small li-ion onboard battery. But it does fully charge in about 45 minutes hooked to AC.
Nifty and fun little deal. Only thing so far that will get him off the Crack-Box (X-Box) and outside voluntarily.

R/C - Take it from someone who has been into model R/C since 1967, do NOT buy from Radio Shack. Most likely after a bad crash, you will NOT be able to get spare parts, and now your whole quad copter is TRASH. I've had over 100 R/C planes and choppers. Slowly went from fuel to all electric.

If you have a local hobby shop, deal with them. They will support you in parts. Or go to Tower Hobbies - there prices are generally within the very bottom of the price. But if you buy from Tower, do not expect the local hobby shop to support you in rebuilding or trimming help.

Same for buying batteries. No cheap ones. You can find 2000 mah batteries that vary in weight (and quality) by 4 or 5 oz. On a quad chopper, that 5 oz may mean the difference in the quality of camera you can carry.

It can be an expensive hobby, but very rewarding and quite fun.

If there is a club, go hang out with them.

You can find near-by clubs by going to the Academy of Model Aeronautics web site, and if there is a registered club in your area, it will be listed.

We have 3 or. 4. Clubs in the area. I flew gas planes in the 70s. One club is all electric. Will hang out there when it warms up. The video I showed was an $88 quad. With a $29. Nimbus camera. Record video or stills.

Button control on tran

Anyone out there flying a RC Drone? Quad copter .. Looking to take video. What kind? Any suggestions. Not looking at spending a ton of money .....

Check with [h=1]champsman97045[/h]He took some fantastic video of the 2013 Western Trike rally with a really nice quad copter. BTW I went looking for that video but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png