Turning engine over while the trike is on jack.

I'm not the O.P. but I needed to turn the motor over when trying to find tdc when setting the push rods. tried jacking it up but it didn't work. I ended up pulling the plugs, putting it in gear and pushing it forward till I got the right spot.

Exactly what I had to do tom and for the same reason. I was just wondering if there was a way I wasn't seeing. I could turn it over by pulling the belt but couldn't see the pushrods for overlap and base circle . Thanks

I'm doing this from memory 'cos it's minus 10 and I'm not going out there to try it, so please correct me if I'm wrong...
If you raise a conventional axle off the ground and turn one wheel, the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction and nothing happens at the propshaft or belt. So, if you lock the left-hand wheel somehow and turn the right-hand wheel with a long strip of metal (with padding to protect the wheel) you should be in a position to watch the pushrods as you turn the wheel, in gear, plugs out. That's what I did with mine a couple of years ago. As an alternative to removing the chaincase and using an effing long spanner on the compensator nut.
Cheers,
Pete

I'm doing this from memory 'cos it's minus 10 and I'm not going out there to try it, so please correct me if I'm wrong...
If you raise a conventional axle off the ground and turn one wheel, the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction and nothing happens at the propshaft or belt. So, if you lock the left-hand wheel somehow and turn the right-hand wheel with a long strip of metal (with padding to protect the wheel) you should be in a position to watch the pushrods as you turn the wheel, in gear, plugs out. That's what I did with mine a couple of years ago. As an alternative to removing the chaincase and using an effing long spanner on the compensator nut.
Cheers,
Pete

:Agree: You have to have the opposite wheel held or the engine won't be turned over, just got done doing this dance this afternoon, I had my dad hold the left side so I could turn the engine over. I'm re-doing the top end on my dads 09.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png