screw in my Trike Tire

Mar 13, 2012
Cypress, TX
Came home from a ride yesterday, and there was a hex head screw in my Trike tire. Pulled it out (unscrewed it) and it was about a half inch long. Expected the air to start leaking but it hasn't. Any long term effects from this like tire failure down the road? Can it really be that far in and not cause a puncture?

Came home from a ride yesterday, and there was a hex head screw in my Trike tire. Pulled it out (unscrewed it) and it was about a half inch long. Expected the air to start leaking but it hasn't. Any long term effects from this like tire failure down the road? Can it really be that far in and not cause a puncture?

''IF'' it was in the high spot and not in the groove, you should be ok.. But to be on the safe side, Put some puncher sealer in the tire. And to cut the naysayers off at the pass.. All the new sealers are safe for rims, ThumbUp

Could have marked the spot and had it patched ,,,peace of mind . Yes according to how deep it got , I wouldn't feel safe without a patch. JMO :Shrug:

Let me add I've removed 'em from my big truck tires and to never have a issue but a lot deeper rubber .

Have to agree that putting a patch on the inside is the safest way to go. But without a hole large enough to be able to see, how can you be sure you're getting the patch on the right spot?

Here's another idea, but it's labor intensive: Remove the tire from the trike. Call the manufacturer of the tire and tell them what's happened and that you want to be sure there's not a slow leak and that you'd like to inflate the tire to its maximum safe inflation pressure and use soapy water as a leak detector. If the tire's ever going to leak, it'll leak then.

PC

Have to agree that putting a patch on the inside is the safest way to go. But without a hole large enough to be able to see, how can you be sure you're getting the patch on the right spot?

Here's another idea, but it's labor intensive: Remove the tire from the trike. Call the manufacturer of the tire and tell them what's happened and that you want to be sure there's not a slow leak and that you'd like to inflate the tire to its maximum safe inflation pressure and use soapy water as a leak detector. If the tire's ever going to leak, it'll leak then.

PC

You don't have to call the manufacturer'
The max pressure is stated on all tires sidewalls.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png