2012 Front end question

Aug 9, 2010
chester sc
I have a 2012 Goldwing with a motor trike kit. I started noticing a knocking coming from the front area and think its coming from the front tire.3k miles ago i put a rear motorcyle tire on the front like so many recommended.Would that cause the bearings to go out in the front tire? I normally hear it when taking off slow.Sound like a bearing going or gone and if so what can i expect in cost at a shop?

If it is indeed the front wheel bearings My guess for a shop would be. 1 hours labor and bearings. If the bearings are stuck or have come apart 2 hours max....
Bad bearings so soon? They did not check em?
With bad bearings I do them myself. I have a cheap slap hammer type of bearing removal. Then I have a bolt the same size as the axle. I use truck washers, they are really thick on both sides, using a the nut to pull them inward. You can also use the old bearings as a washer. I do neck bearings the same way except I use the old flanges as washers. Bolt size on the neck bearings do not need to be as big. The old flanges will make it stay straight once you start tightening the bolt/nut. I never knock in bearings or neck bearing flanges.
The bolt being the same size as the axle and flat washers will keep it lined up properly. Tighten em until they are seated.

Either way it won't be very costly.

I have a 2012 Goldwing with a motor trike kit. I started noticing a knocking coming from the front area and think its coming from the front tire.3k miles ago i put a rear motorcyle tire on the front like so many recommended.Would that cause the bearings to go out in the front tire? I normally hear it when taking off slow.Sound like a bearing going or gone and if so what can i expect in cost at a shop?

I would be extremely surprised to hear you really found a bad front wheel bearing. If it is bad then I can tell you with utmost confidence that rear motorcycle tire did not cause it. Too many of us have switched to the MPA and BT-45 without any issue.

Some things I might suggest you look for. You probably have checked most if not all of these but it never hurts to brainstorm some. I'd check every nut and bolt on the front end. Also check the brake pads to see if maybe they are wearing and catching on the rotor vents. Another possibility it a loose steering head. I had mine work loose just a tiny bit on my '06 but don't recall that symptom. My knock happen mostly when I hit a bump.....

I know strange noises can be frustrating. Hope you cure your quickly. :xszpv::xszpv:

- - - Updated - - -

after a long wait im getting my trike back from the converter.Seems the noise was coming from the drive shaft where it hooks up to transmission.They said something about a bearing going bad.Luckly it hadnt been three years yet so no cost to me.Picking it up in the morning after six weeks.

One of the things that we do that makes the front bearings wear out quicker is pressure wash the front wheel and also spraying degreaser in the bearing area. That will make those wear out quick after you wash the grease away.