DG Slip-On's

Apr 20, 2010
Peeltown, TX
Not a question just a general comment. I ride a 14 Triglide and I wanted some more sound. I found that DG Slip-on mufflers do not require a download.....I am not a guru on this subject but my local Harley dealer backed that claim. They did not have a Triglide that was available for me to hear how they sounded but they did on a Road King and they sounded somewhat louder but not obnoxious. Anyway, I pulled the pin and had them installed...they are $499.99 plus .5 hr for installation.

Pipes are kind of like seats as far as customer satisfaction goes....it is just so individual. After 300 miles I have decided to put my stock slip-on's back on the back and sell the DG's. For me, the issue is not at speeds below 50 MPH, they are very good. The problem for me is at cruising speeds, 60-75 MPH. I think the body of the trike tends to amplify the sound. The tone at 65 or so gives me a dull headache and my ears ring after about 30 minutes. It maybe totally different for you. I can say that the Trike appears to me much more responsive, and the power seemed noticeably better. I am just not willing to be uncomfortable due to additional sound issues. I never had any hearing issues with the stock slip-on's. The DG quality is very good and the claim of not needing a download appears to be correct. My mileage did not change. Just FYI....Ride safe

I'm surprised you had a noise issue, especially with the catalytic converter still installed. The cat acts as a pre-muffler. I can remember when the 1st 2010's came out, I heard 2 Ultra Classics running. One stock mufflers and the other with Rinehart slip on's, they almost sounded identical. The Rinehart equipped one was a touch deeper sounding, even when they pulled out and both accelerated away pretty hard.

One thing I've always been at odds with, is dealers stating you can change the mufflers without a download. That applies to the Screamin Eagle 50 state legal line, they don't flow a whole lot more than stock. When it comes to after market exhaust or mufflers, all bets are off. There is enough extra air flow capacity on the stock air filter, even more so on the 2014 and later air filter, you will have spots in the AFR leaner than it was. The O2 sensors will only make up so much, they won't do a thing for the engine when in open loop. The 2014 and later air filters flow much better than previous MY's, they flow good enough that changing to a different air filter setup, such as the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 doesn't offer much gain on a stock engine.

I'm surprised you had a noise issue, especially with the catalytic converter still installed. The cat acts as a pre-muffler. I can remember when the 1st 2010's came out, I heard 2 Ultra Classics running. One stock mufflers and the other with Rinehart slip on's, they almost sounded identical. The Rinehart equipped one was a touch deeper sounding, even when they pulled out and both accelerated away pretty hard.

One thing I've always been at odds with, is dealers stating you can change the mufflers without a download. That applies to the Screamin Eagle 50 state legal line, they don't flow a whole lot more than stock. When it comes to after market exhaust or mufflers, all bets are off. There is enough extra air flow capacity on the stock air filter, even more so on the 2014 and later air filter, you will have spots in the AFR leaner than it was. The O2 sensors will only make up so much, they won't do a thing for the engine when in open loop. The 2014 and later air filters flow much better than previous MY's, they flow good enough that changing to a different air filter setup, such as the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 doesn't offer much gain on a stock engine.

I thought Harley did a fantastic job on the exhaust system on the 2010 and later bikes. The sound is a 1000% better then before. For me it's just right - not too loud and not too quiet. H-D finally did something right. :D ThumbUp

- - - Updated - - -

Not a question just a general comment. I ride a 14 Triglide and I wanted some more sound. I found that DG Slip-on mufflers do not require a download.....I am not a guru on this subject but my local Harley dealer backed that claim. They did not have a Triglide that was available for me to hear how they sounded but they did on a Road King and they sounded somewhat louder but not obnoxious. Anyway, I pulled the pin and had them installed...they are $499.99 plus .5 hr for installation.

Pipes are kind of like seats as far as customer satisfaction goes....it is just so individual. After 300 miles I have decided to put my stock slip-on's back on the back and sell the DG's. For me, the issue is not at speeds below 50 MPH, they are very good. The problem for me is at cruising speeds, 60-75 MPH. I think the body of the trike tends to amplify the sound. The tone at 65 or so gives me a dull headache and my ears ring after about 30 minutes. It maybe totally different for you. I can say that the Trike appears to me much more responsive, and the power seemed noticeably better. I am just not willing to be uncomfortable due to additional sound issues. I never had any hearing issues with the stock slip-on's. The DG quality is very good and the claim of not needing a download appears to be correct. My mileage did not change. Just FYI....Ride safe

You could've just wore ear plugs. That maybe would have helped. At least you recognized the hearing problem early enough to save it. Next time you go for a ride try a good pair (E.A.R. foam plugs) if you are going to be riding for longer then 30 minutes. You might find you like them. They make your engine sound great and protect against wind noise.

Good luck

I thought Harley did a fantastic job on the exhaust system on the 2010 and later bikes. The sound is a 1000% better then before. For me it's just right - not too loud and not too quiet. H-D finally did something right. :D ThumbUp

:Agree: Only reason I changed to a Jackpot head pipe on the 2010 I had was to ditch the cat, I swapped to a set of 50 state legal SE mufflers for looks.

Might want to think about having the cat removed from the stock header and keep the stock mufflers. Add an stage one cleaner and a tuner you will have a great running and sounding bike for little money. The sound is very nice. Did my riding buddies Tri and he loves it. He is not a loud muffler person. Nice performance.

I guess its to each his own ! But my 2014 TG was ok as far as good sounding mufflers. But I ride with about 8 other HD trikers. Some stock some not. This is our 8th HD and I;ve never had the stock mufflers on any of them for long. So my GOOD riding friends have a 14 also. That sound FANTASTIC with just slip on's. SO I bought a pr of Vance & Hines slip on's. Wow sounds good ThumbUp BUT !! I wasn't really happy with it compared to my TROUBLE makin buddy ( Randy) His has this DEEP tone to it that just sounds so good. So yesterday He stopped by to shoot the bull and asked If I wanted to take the baffles out ! OH H E L L yeah lets give it a shot. 10 mins later I started this BAD BOY UP ! Holy Mufflers Batman. Does it sound FREAKIN GOOD ! LOVE the way it sounds. Took a 45 mile trip up to Wickenburg, AZ and Back DAMN SAM its sounds so GOOD. I"M LOVIN IT :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png