Potential charging problem

pddgm

90+ Posts
May 15, 2014
Sunrise Beach, MO
I finally got to take the trike out yesterday (1st time in a month) The battery was almost dead, so had to charge it for a while. Once it started and I got it warmed up and took it down the road, I checked the gauges and notice the warning light on the amp gauge was on and the gauge was showing 10 or 11 amps but not 12 or over. I rode it back and put the trickle charger on it, to finish topping off the charge. Any suggestions where I should start looking for the problem. I checked the alternator belt and it is tight.

Joe

Click on the link ,,,a lot of great information and good luck . Does it have a voltage regulator if not it will be a alternator

If you have a battery with removable caps check the water level. If low add distilled water. Also make sure all connections are clean and tight including ground connections. Make sure battery terminal connections are clean and tight.
This is a generator:
generator-old.jpg
This is an alternator:
best-alternator-prices-and-parts-review.jpg
Trouble shooting procedures will vary depending on which you have.

How old is the batt. you said it sat for a mo. swap the batt with a known good batt. like the one in your car, and go from there, a bad batt. can cause all kinds of elect. prob's. it only takes a few min's for this simple task.
just a thought, just use the kiss system, some times it works.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png