Need Help

Got pretty nice here today so I thought I would try this thing for the first time. Didn't even get a half block down the road. Scared the chit out of me. Felt like I was gonna fall over. Kept throwing my feet on the ground, and really couldnt make it go where I wanted it to. What am I doing wrong, Could really use some advice here

Did you remember to take off the gun belt Joe? It will make ya lean to the right just a bit...:D:D

Which one were you riding and why did it make you feel you were going to fall over? Steering a bike is like plug and play, you point it to the left it will go left, no counter steering.

Give us some more details so we can help ya out. Start from the beginning.

Here ya go I found this online:<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
How To Ride a Motorcycle Trike<br />
<br />
Learning to ride a motorcycle trike is not as easy as it looks. Here are some pointers to get you going as a triker.<br />
<br />
Here's How to Ride a Motorcycle Trike:<br />
<br />
The motorcycle trike controls are exactly the same as on a motorcycle. However, the steering is different and you need to get used to it. <br />
<br />
Start out driving the trike in a parking lot with your right hand in your back pocket. Leave the trike in first gear, steer it around the lot and do some figure-8s. Get used to the long pushes to turn corners. <br />
<br />
You steer a trike much like a car. You will find it easiest to use a push-pull steering technique. That is, when you want to turn right, pull the right grip toward you while pushing the left grip away from you. Similarly, for a left turn, pull the left grip toward you while pushing the right grip away from you.

<br />
<br />
This technique is especially useful making turns on twisties. You will find it much easier to pull the grip on a hard turn than trying to only push the grip. <br />
<br />
You need to spend some time getting familiar with steering and evasive maneuvers. Your mind will keep telling you that you are on a bike. Train yourself to steer, not countersteer. <br />
<br />
Don't try to put your foot down when you stop. The rear wheel will run over it. <br />
<br />
Remember that the trike is wide and you have to compensate when you pull in next to a gasoline island or a toll plaza. <br />
<br />
Drive the trike in a traffic lane positioned much like a car. <br />
<br />
Turning long sweepers will be easy.

Doing twisties will take some technique and a certain amount of muscle. <br />
<br />
Trikes can be altered to have more rake. This makes steering easier but judgment mistakes are easier to make too. <br />
<br />
Tight turns or decreasing radius turns on entrance and exit ramps are noticeably more difficult and require steady pressure. <br />
<br />
<br />
Tips:<br />
<br />
Do not assume that since you've been riding motorcycles for 30 years, that you already know how to ride a trike. You may find yourself in the ditch.

Got pretty nice here today so I thought I would try this thing for the first time. Didn't even get a half block down the road. Scared the chit out of me. Felt like I was gonna fall over. Kept throwing my feet on the ground, and really couldnt make it go where I wanted it to. What am I doing wrong, Could really use some advice here

A very important thing is to TAKE IT EASY if you don't feel at one with the trike.
As has been previously stated, forget all the things you learnt to ride a bike,
a trike is a different issue altogether.

I let my son have a putt and he nearly put it through a fence, and he's a good
bike rider! My suggestion would be to be (if you can) trailer it (or get somebody
else to take it) to a vacant parking lot or large area with no obstructions, then
practice turns, stopping and starting etc., just take your time AND KEEP YOUR
FEET ON THE PEGS OR RUNNINGBOARDS... I guarantee you'll eventually get
the hang of it, and then the love-affair will begin.
smileys-free-download-1415.gif

Not sure what it was. Tried to get it out of the driveway which is kind of uphill with a hard left at the end to ge on the street. There is still some slushy ice in the driveway that felt like it was grabbing the front tire and takeing it where it wanted to. Every time I tried to turn left out of the drive it felt very wierd, like I should have been leaning, Then all I wanted to do was put my feet down so I didn't drop the bike. It is a 2009 Ultra Classic with the Motor Trike kit

One thing that really helped me (and I got this off of this board) is that just before entering a left turn (for example) I press my left foot down hard on the peg or floorboard on that side and make a real effort to force that peg down as I go through the turn. Naturally, my body actually shifts a bit towards that side, and the feeling of falling over to the outside of the turn is gone.<br />
<br />
I realize a lot of this is psychological and perhaps being a mechanical person rather than athelitic may be part of the reason it helps me. Hopefully someone else can use that idea.

I think the slush was trying to direct the front tire. Just remember very important not to put your feet down. It can get caught in the rear body works if the trike moves. Anyway just believe that trikes are very stable and get out and practice. Only saddle time will build your confidence.

If you haven't already, check out the Experienced Riders thread in the General Forum. Lots of good riding advice there. Ah, here:<br />
<a href="http://www.triketalk.com/forum/general-forum/242-experianced-trike-riders-please-post-here.html" target="_blank">http://www.triketalk.com/forum/gener...post-here.html</a><br />
<br />
After while it becomes second nature. I have been at this a while, I ride both 2 and 3 wheels, and never do trike specific stuff on the bike or bike specific stuff on the trike. You'll get used to it with experience.<br />
<br />
retdpd - that is an excellent list you posted. Now that should be added to the Experienced Riders thread to add to the good advice already there.

As a mattr of fact, a friend came over and took me to a parking lot ans about two houra later, I can truly say I got it now. Rode for about three hours today. Love it. Thanks for all the help on this forum

That is tremendous news!!!! Welcome to the joy of triking :D

I am very new to riding a trike. I would like to add one thing. My being a lady rider, I do not have the upper body strength and the arm muscle that men do. Also, I have a fractured elbow...with all that said..when I go into a curve, i squeeze each side of the gas tank with my thighs. This gives me stability and some added strength to manuver the handlebars. This works for me. I might add that my husband has to get the trike out of the shop because the doors are so small. He only has about 1" clearance on each side of the trike. When he comes to a stop...guess what..his feet are on the ground. It looks so funny. He rides an Ultra Classic Bike and has for many years!

Also don;t forget that you have fenders, That one of those things that take sometime to get use to, But you will only forget that but once. The local Mission, Tx, HD dealer thought he would take a TG for a spin, since they were going to rent it out, policy said it had to have a few mikes on before they could rent it. Took the left fender and wheel off , before it got out of the garage. That one bike they'll have to take to the auction to sell someday, because all the Tike rider here would not touch it.

Bob

WEEEEEE DOGGIESSSSSSSS WELCOME TO THE TRIKER WORLD, GRINNNNN
GOOD THING ABOUT A TRIKE, IS THAT YOU DON'T FALL DOWN AT STOPS LITES , NO FOOT TO PUT DOWN, LOLLL TRY THAT ON A 2 WHEEL,
I REMEMBER ONCE WHILE RIDING A 2 WHEEL AND HAD A LITTLE TOO MUCH TO DRINK AND STOPPED AT A RED LITE AND DIDN'T PUT MY FOOT DOWN, WHEEEEEE TRY TO EXPLAIN THAT TO YOUR FRIENDS OR THE COP, LOLLLLL
SO YOU ARE NOW PART OF THE BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED SINCE WE WENT TO THE MOON, THE TRIKER FAMILY, YOU WILL GET THE HANG OF IT AND ENJOY YOURSELF AND MEET NEW FRIENDS AND OF COURSEM BE CAREFUL OUT THERE, THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A CAR, GRINN.
REMEMBER WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP YOU WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS, ENJOY.:D:clan:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png