Helpful old mc customs

Feb 18, 2008
Anderson, Missouri
Does anyone have some old riding customs from back in the day? I'm thinking of old traditions (You may have been told about them or read them if you are a newer rider) that have fallen out of use but would be helpful to today's riders. Things that would be useful to spread around, get folks doing whatever it is again.

First one off the top of my head is to put your helmet or a folded up jacket or such a few feet behind your ride as a sign you need help. This lets folks know you would like them to stop because something is wrong, and you're not just stopping for an itch, tying your boots or wiping bug innards off your forehead.

Is that standard equipment on a Harley, because I didn't get one with the Gold Wing ?.:D The Jacket and Helmet I have with me all the time.

I think the info is just for you Wingers John. The Harley riders have no need for them.
laughing-smiley-male-smiley-laugh-smiley-emoticon-000288-large.gif

Rolling Thunder says to tie a white cloth to your handle grip so other bikers know you need help.

Ozzark..What they do now is put a folding reflective warning triangle behind the trike. A flashing one if you are keen.:yes:

I was watching "Top Gear" on BBCA, and Jeramy Clarkson was going on about the safety gear that they had to have "just in case" in the EU nanny state. Reflective triangles, at least 3 so they can give warning down the road, flashing ones for night use, day-glo sign caution sign with arrows pointing which way traffic should pass, flourescent orange or lime green vest with retro-reflective stripes, eye protection glasses or goggles in case a car kicks up a rock, hand flag to direct motorists, flashlight with cone for night time directing, and s few other things I don't remember.

So where would I pack my gear?

The custom used to be if we saw a bike along side of the road, we stoped -- no matter what! The "fee" was normaly a "pay it forward", meaning; "Help someone else out down the road."

NM

The custom used to be if we saw a bike along side of the road, we stoped -- no matter what! The "fee" was normaly a "pay it forward", meaning; "Help someone else out down the road."

NM

That was the way I thought the custom was --- and is --- too!
I like this custom :D

I always toot and slow down and wait for a thumbs up or a wave on if not I stop. I stopped to many times for a 10-100 ( Nature calls)

Speaking of "old skool", remember when the on the road biker's greeting was left arm out level, elbo at 90* with closed fist up?? Then the "Black Power" $#$#@^$#% stole it from us. :mad:

NM

When I'm off my bike and I don't want to lug around my leather I learned to role a wheel up over it. That way is someone wants to steel it they have some work to do. Thieves go for the EZ snag there lazy!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png