Header Coating

Jan 10, 2014
Tacoma, WA USA
I realize this has probably been covered before but I am looking for some suggestions. I just bought a new set of exhaust headers and I am looking for a way to coat them so they won't rust. Ceramic coating seems to work well but it's more than I care to spend. I've tried VHT spray can coating in the past and haven't had any luck with it. There are many opinions, some positive, some negative about header wrap. Black stove paint has been suggested and I am leaning in that direction at this point. Any input is appreciated.

Ceramic coating is coming down in price as it becomes more main stream.
I would have them coated with Cerakote ceramic.
I do not coat mine. I just make them out of stainless steel. Ceramic coat would be cheaper though.

This is the unit I have. I bought it on Craig's List for cheap but it's new, never installed. It has some sort of a really poor, black paint job on it.....chips, runs, scratches. I guess I'll remove the paint and try black stove paint. If it stays on great, if not it will just have to be ugly. It looks like ceramic coating would be about $250 which isn't in my budget. I know that painting high temp parts has always been a problem, I was just curious if there was any new high temp paint out that was worth using.
EMPI_3417_vw_exhaust_system.jpeg

Did you apply the VHT according to directions , I've used it and seems to work for a couple seasons for me . I just wait till time for a valve adjustment remove 'em and take care of both , good luck and let us know . ThumbUp

I did VHT on the trike, I don't have an oven that goes to 650 degrees for doing it off the trike. I don't think I had the headers clean enough, some of it stayed on and some didn't. I didn't see the prep spray and primer at the auto parts store when I bought it so maybe that is the problem. The thing I liked about it is they have a variety of colors to choose from.

I painted the exhaust with the black stove paint and put it on the trike. I started the engine and let it run for a while and so far the paint has stayed on but the pipes didn't get really hot. Time will tell. I found some cool VW mud flaps a while back and put those on tonight. So here is the trike all lit up and running with the new stuff on it.:pepper:
3.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png