Old Battery vs New Battery

A little off the topic. My shed it to far for me to put my Trike battery on a tender, unless I take the battery out and into the basement. Have 2 deep cycle Trolling batteries in the basement and they have been on 2 tenders for 2 years. Wonder what will happen when I take them out on the fishing boat? May not get me away from the pier. Better take a new deep cycle battery with me to be on the safe side. The boat does not have oar locks and would not want to try to row that thing back to shore.

Baldy,
It still resembles a M/C Post as did my HHR comment..... we're still talkin batteries...

I keep the battery maintainer on my battery ALL winter long when in hibernation mode....

I also plug it in, during the summer ride'n season, I like to see the maintainer meter show the battery is 100% full!!! :scooter:

Ronnie

11/22/23

Have an 05 Honda Trike with Lehman Kit original battery lasted over 7 years and was replaced only because of age, never touched it with a charger or tender. New battery identical to the one taken out 2.5 years old would not start, it tried to start but all the lights pulled it down. I guess the new batteries are not as good as the old ones. Why didn't Honda put a switch in so you could start your bike before turning the lights on>> Cheap Cheap. Guess I need to get a tender from now on.

Yes I know this is an old post. Unfortunanly many will say the same, and unless the instructions are followed in the battery box as written, the results will be similar. If you call Yuasa, they will say the same. Often the problem has to do with the words "charger." Basically it's imparitive to do this. Install the acid, wait 1 hour, then charge the battery with a 2amp charger. That can take 4-8 hrs. Some seem to think that their maintaner is a charger ... yes, we all know that your maintainer says it's a charger too. But apparently they are not, or are not capable of providing the charge a new battery needs. Others are also discovering that maintainers have different ratings, and sometimes their maintainer is not rated high enough. This seems very true GYZ's batteries.

Sorry ... I'm not much of a maintainer person, and for good reason. However, I am one to follow the instructions on how to maintain and care for a Wing as found in the Owner's Manual, and I've not seen yet where Honda recommends putting a 5th gen battery on a maintainer. Here at JustWings, to "maintain" a battery charge we would either follow the instruction in the Owner's of Service manual.

The important part about activating a battery is this. Each new battery comes with only 1 chance to do it correctly. In a nut shell, when done, that will be the batteries highest voltage ever. And from that point on, it voltage slowly degrades. If the activation is not done correctly, it's bacially retarded from day one, and will forever be.

I haven’t bought a battery where I had to put the acid in for at least 15 years all the batteries I bought are sealed batteries, and I bought plenty of them over the years probably about 10 or more for the ATVs and a few for the motorcycles I have them delivered Put them on a smart charger and the charge says 100% then I will nstall them..I know they all say delivered fully charged but I will still charge them to be sure..

I haven’t bought a battery where I had to put the acid in for at least 15 years all the batteries I bought are sealed batteries, and I bought plenty of them over the years probably about 10 or more for the ATVs and a few for the motorcycles I have them delivered Put them on a smart charger and the charge says 100% then I will nstall them..I know they all say delivered fully charged but I will still charge them to be sure..

Always charge new batteries before install, remove from charger, let stand for at least 1 hour to remove surface charge, check with voltmeter for 12.7 volts, install and good to go

Do yourself a favor. Replace battery every 3 yrs. Even Yuasa only warrantie for only 6 months now. Nothing is worse than a dead battery 100 miles from help

Do yourself a favor. Replace battery every 3 yrs. Even Yuasa only warrantie for only 6 months now. Nothing is worse than a dead battery 100 miles from help
Owner's of lunch runners usually wait for a reason to replace their batteries. Here at JustWings we respect that these m/c are continental touring machines, and as the Service Manal says, the battery degrades after 2-3 years, and we to recommend they get replace accordingly.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png