Honda trike kit what to look for

Feb 15, 2015
Oswego,il
I have a 2008 Goldwing 1800cc and want to convert it to a trike for the wife. What should I be looking for in a kit. I know I want independent suspension. But what else should I be looking for?

I have a 2008 Goldwing 1800cc and want to convert it to a trike for the wife. What should I be looking for in a kit. I know I want independent suspension. But what else should I be looking for?

Comfort, Conveniences, Durability, Design, and Installer are the big ones.

Some will ride smoother then others due to suspension design. Not all independent suspensions are created equal.
Some manufactures offer options that others do not. This may play a big part in your decision.
Because of the different designs some kits are more prone to failure or have higher maintenance required factors.

My best advise is to ride as many different brands as possible, do a lot of research and scrutinizing of the designs, and find a very reliable installer. Close is nice but good is soooooooo much better. :xszpv::xszpv:

First ask her what she wants (keep her happy). Then let her ride the different kits to see what she's most comfortable with. I'm pretty sure she'll need a rake kit (easy steer) on it too since they make it steer easier. It's a lot like buying a Chevy or Ford. All are pretty good some just better for each individual. Make sure you get an installer with a good reputation. One place I know of where she can ride about all of them is in Russellville, AR and their trikes are built by Horizon Trikes just up the road. Not sure how many they keep on hand. I know that's a long way for you to go.

I went through the same process last year with my 2012 Wing and spent a lot of time talking to other trikers with Roadsmith, CSC, Champion and other conversions.

I didn't take any test rides, but was able to make a list of the things I wanted. Finally settled on a Roadsmith done by a dealer that seemed to have a good reputation.

I ended up with IRS, stabilizer bar, aux fuel tank, raked front end and a few other options. I passed up the pre-load suspension since I ride alone.

After six months riding experience I'm very pleased with the performance, comfort and handling of my trike. However, I have owned trikes with Lehman and Hannigan conversions, so I pretty well knew what I was looking for when I started out.

As important as the trike is the installer. Once you pick the trike and start considering an installer get back on the forum and ask about experiences others may have had with that installer. Don't secure one just because "they are nice" pick one because they know what they are doing. I'm here to tell you that some installers don't know what they are doing.
Cheers
Kent

It has already been said so I am going to repeat it. It's that important.
Take you time choosing a installer. That is the main ingredient.
With today's technology and improvements There is a long list of good companies making top notch trike kits.
I ended up with a Roadsmith because the installer I wanted to do does them. I did not regret it at all. We love it.
Different companies offers different things and some don't with some things for their kits. Once you decide on what kit someone here can add some accessories that can help with the kit you want.
I always suggest adding a aux fuel tank if possible. You can get a deal on the aux tank some times. I did.

The installer is the "MOST IMPORTANT" thing to consider. Take the top 5 or 6 kits and ride as many as possible, your wife will know which one she wants based on style and ride quality. Can't go wrong with one of the top kits unless you have a bad installer. I would also have the kit painted at the factory, not by the installer, just my opinion.

I had two horrific experiences before I got my 2012 Viper. Cost me quite a bit of money.

First of all good luck with your search. If you are not doing the work the installer is the most important decision you have. I would include a rake kit in the conversion also.

Niehaus is a good choice. Theyre installs are bulletproof and their service is excellent. Nice thing is you can test drive the different brands to see which one will suit you and so you can also tell the difference in the ride characteristics. I bought mine awhile back at a closer dealer. Big mistake!. They couldnt service a trike let alone a motorcycle. The dealer was the infamous Chicago cycle in Lincolnwood. They screwed up more than they fixed. Thank goodness them and their sister dealer went out of business. Niehaus services mine and has for quite a few years.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png